MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (h)

202 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Port Vale (h)

by Stranded » 22 Feb 2024 09:49

Snowflake Royal I'd been thinking Mbengue has big potential, but after almost two seasons and at 22 bit concerned he's still making some crazy stupid decisions.

But Dorsett looked like he could also make an excellent foil to Bindon, pre injury.

Savage is improving nicely and still only 20.

His decision making may have been hindered by playing multiple positions and having to make different decisions each time i.e. the same scenario would need a different decision from a RB than a CB.

You would hope that the more games he plays at CB, the quality of his decision making will improve as he will have experienced the same scenario before and know what worked/didn't work last time and react accordingly. He'll also get to know better what his CB partner will do and react to that better.

It is a promising partnership and whilst I expect a fit Holmes to come back in, if they continue in this way, it will be a hard choice esp as they could well form the first choice CB partnership next season.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Feb 2024 10:15

Last 10 home games W6 D3 L1, the only side to win here in that time Barnsley have lost just once on the road all season, we`ve become a very hard side to beat now on our own patch, 6 games to go here, winning at least 4 shouldn`t be out of the question, that should ensure safety

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Feb 2024 10:24

Stranded
Snowflake Royal I'd been thinking Mbengue has big potential, but after almost two seasons and at 22 bit concerned he's still making some crazy stupid decisions.

But Dorsett looked like he could also make an excellent foil to Bindon, pre injury.

His decision making may have been hindered by playing multiple positions and having to make different decisions each time i.e. the same scenario would need a different decision from a RB than a CB.

You would hope that the more games he plays at CB, the quality of his decision making will improve as he will have experienced the same scenario before and know what worked/didn't work last time and react accordingly. He'll also get to know better what his CB partner will do and react to that better.

It is a promising partnership and whilst I expect a fit Holmes to come back in, if they continue in this way, it will be a hard choice esp as they could well form the first choice CB partnership next season.

If Mbengue and Bindon continue to do well, it makes no sense to bring Holmes back in. Better to let them keep playing together so they can be 1st choice next year.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Feb 2024 11:14

Stranded

For much of his time at the club he's also lacked the benefit of having a decent, experienced and vocal player alongside him to talk him through games. I know Moore got a lot of stick from some elements of our fan base but IMO he was very good at doing that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2024 11:17

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded

If Mbengue and Bindon continue to do well, it makes no sense to bring Holmes back in. Better to let them keep playing together so they can be 1st choice next year.

I doubt we need to worry much about Holmes displacing him for many games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2024 11:19

RoyalBlue
Stranded

For much of his time at the club he's also lacked the benefit of having a decent, experienced and vocal player alongside him to talk him through games. I know Moore got a lot of stick from some elements of our fan base but IMO he was very good at doing that.

He may have talked a lot, but based on the state of our defence, it can't have helped anyone much.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 22 Feb 2024 11:33

Attendance 10,004

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2024 12:46

Royals and Racers Attendance 10,004

That's not awful for a rearranged wet winter Tuesday with a couple hundred away fans.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 22 Feb 2024 13:08

Hendo
Fezza How are Port Vale (and Fleetwood) in the relegation zone, I thought that they passed the ball extremely well and had genuinely good chances to score. Am I missing something obvious? They seemed a long way from the weakest teams I’ve watched this season.

Port Value - they've got a bunch of games in hand and have been on a pretty poor run since the original game v us got abandoned. They've just changed their manager so would expect results to pick up soon.

Fleetwood - seems to be similar situation, they've changed their manager mid-season and are on a better run of form since that change.

Fleetwood are on their third manager now aren't they? FWIW, I thought Fleetwood, under Lee Johnson, were excellent when they beat us at home in October. Easily one of the best sides we've seen at the SCL this season. Not quite as impressive at Highbury, but been equally baffled as to their current lowly league position.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Feb 2024 15:16

Whore Jackie
Hendo
Fezza How are Port Vale (and Fleetwood) in the relegation zone, I thought that they passed the ball extremely well and had genuinely good chances to score. Am I missing something obvious? They seemed a long way from the weakest teams I’ve watched this season.

Port Value - they've got a bunch of games in hand and have been on a pretty poor run since the original game v us got abandoned. They've just changed their manager so would expect results to pick up soon.

Fleetwood - seems to be similar situation, they've changed their manager mid-season and are on a better run of form since that change.

Fleetwood are on their third manager now aren't they? FWIW, I thought Fleetwood, under Lee Johnson, were excellent when they beat us at home in October. Easily one of the best sides we've seen at the SCL this season. Not quite as impressive at Highbury, but been equally baffled as to their current lowly league position.

Really?

I seem to recall them being pants but bouyed by a 20 yarder in the first few mins. We huffed and puffed, got level, really should have got a second then fell apart in injury time - as was the style at the time.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Feb 2024 15:33

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 22 Feb 2024 15:58

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Stranded

To be honest, i would stick with Bindon and Mbengue as it seems to be working ok and as mentioned it may well be our starting pair at CB next season so it seems only fair to give them more time to gel as a partnership.
Saying ,that, i would also like to see if Dorsett can stake a claim to partner alongside bindon as it is his preferred position and he's looked a good player when played at LB.
Mola is improving week by week and may just be starting to show everybody the potential that somebody saw in him when we signed him. There is still plenty of room for improvement but should be able to tie down this position next season.
Let's face it, the nucleus of our team are very young and we are slowly seeing things come together towards the back end of the season!! This team will only get better together as time goes by and really doesn't need much major surgery over the off season other than tying up some decent contracts to ensure this team is able to grow together.
Hopefully the takeover will eventually go through and the academy will continue to run at Cat 1 level allowing us to continue to cherry pick from our bright young stars allowing the club to be sustainably run and putting an end to any crazy spending in the future.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 22 Feb 2024 16:22

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal If Mbengue and Bindon continue to do well, it makes no sense to bring Holmes back in. Better to let them keep playing together so they can be 1st choice next year.

To be honest, i would stick with Bindon and Mbengue as it seems to be working ok and as mentioned it may well be our starting pair at CB next season so it seems only fair to give them more time to gel as a partnership.
Saying ,that, i would also like to see if Dorsett can stake a claim to partner alongside bindon as it is his preferred position and he's looked a good player when played at LB.
Mola is improving week by week and may just be starting to show everybody the potential that somebody saw in him when we signed him. There is still plenty of room for improvement but should be able to tie down this position next season.
Let's face it, the nucleus of our team are very young and we are slowly seeing things come together towards the back end of the season!! This team will only get better together as time goes by and really doesn't need much major surgery over the off season other than tying up some decent contracts to ensure this team is able to grow together.
Hopefully the takeover will eventually go through and the academy will continue to run at Cat 1 level allowing us to continue to cherry pick from our bright young stars allowing the club to be sustainably run and putting an end to any crazy spending in the future.

Just for shits and giggles, i mentioned keeping this team together as they will only improve. How about this for a starting 11 next season.

Button

Yids Bindon Dorsett Mola

Savage Wing

Azeez Knibbs Kelvin.E

Smith

Back 5: Button is steady if not great and still able to do a job at the level. Yids isn't getting any younger but more than able for another season. Bindon, Dorsett and Mola all should grow into their positions.
DM: Wing and Savage are both very good for this level. Wing is probably peaking and Savage has bags of potential. Not forgetting Craig who for me has the looks of a special player and its really close between him and Savage.
AM: Azeez will only get better and Knibbs should get goals playing off Smiths shoulder. Finally Kelvin.E, for me he has looked much better out wide when taking on defenders and running into the box. Could well be a better fit than as a lone striker!!
ST: Smith is still the man, however, we were informed by the Cambridge fans that he tends to go on spells without scoring, but he gives 110% every game and should still get 10/15 goals per season. Would like to see Wareham given a run especially as Kelvin.E has been moved out wide.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2024 16:28

Crowbar6753
Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal I doubt we need to worry much about Holmes displacing him for many games.

Just for shits and giggles, i mentioned keeping this team together as they will only improve. How about this for a starting 11 next season.

Button

Yids Bindon Dorsett Mola

Savage Wing

Azeez Knibbs Kelvin.E

Smith

Back 5: Button is steady if not great and still able to do a job at the level. Yids isn't getting any younger but more than able for another season. Bindon, Dorsett and Mola all should grow into their positions.
DM: Wing and Savage are both very good for this level. Wing is probably peaking and Savage has bags of potential. Not forgetting Craig who for me has the looks of a special player and its really close between him and Savage.
AM: Azeez will only get better and Knibbs should get goals playing off Smiths shoulder. Finally Kelvin.E, for me he has looked much better out wide when taking on defenders and running into the box. Could well be a better fit than as a lone striker!!
ST: Smith is still the man, however, we were informed by the Cambridge fans that he tends to go on spells without scoring, but he gives 110% every game and should still get 10/15 goals per season. Would like to see Wareham given a run especially as Kelvin.E has been moved out wide.

If you want to go really crazy, I'd like to see a big slice of this as our XI in two seasons time.

........................CBC
Abrefa, Bindon, Dorsett, Carson
...Azeez, Craig, Savage, Knibbs
........Ehibhatiomhan, Wareham

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 22 Feb 2024 16:43

Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753
Crowbar6753

Button

Yids Bindon Dorsett Mola

Savage Wing

Azeez Knibbs Kelvin.E

Smith

If you want to go really crazy, I'd like to see a big slice of this as our XI in two seasons time.

Liking it :D Not sure how old Wing is and whether he would still be an influence in two years time. Saying that, Savage has more than enough time to develop into his shoes.
Loving the fact there is not one single mercenary in sight!! All players of our own making :D :D

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Feb 2024 16:45

Crowbar6753
Snowflake Royal
Crowbar6753

Button

Yids Bindon Dorsett Mola

Savage Wing

Azeez Knibbs Kelvin.E

Smith

Liking it :D Not sure how old Wing is and whether he would still be an influence in two years time. Saying that, Savage has more than enough time to develop into his shoes.
Loving the fact there is not one single mercenary in sight!! All players of our own making :D :D

Wing is 28, so probably at least 4 years left in his prime?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Feb 2024 17:11

Think Elliott will come good in time. Definitely some quality there

Would still have Mbengue starting. He is a very good player at his best

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2024 17:30

Hound Think Elliott will come good in time. Definitely some quality there

Would still have Mbengue starting. He is a very good player at his best

There's certainly other contenders.

Would still like to see Elliott gets some time in Knibbs shoes.

Esteban

by Esteban » 22 Feb 2024 17:50

RoyalBlue
Stranded

Was Mbengue even signed to be a defender? I seem to remember him being billed as a defensive midfielder when he joined, although I have now reached the age where the memory isn't as sharp as it once was.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Feb 2024 18:10

Esteban
RoyalBlue
Stranded

Was Mbengue even signed to be a defender? I seem to remember him being billed as a defensive midfielder when he joined, although I have now reached the age where the memory isn't as sharp as it once was.

There was talk of that, but he looks nothing like one to me and he's almost exclusively played defence for us.

202 posts