MATCHWATCH : Shrewsbury Town (h)

151 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Shrewsbury Town (h)

by URZZZZ » 26 Feb 2024 11:52

JedMaxwell I think we just have to chalk it down to a bad day against opposition who wanted it more than us.

It happens, and the progress shown over the last few months indicates we have more than enough to stay out of the bottom four.

This defeat reminded me of the one at Luton in 05/06 although obviously in a vastly different context. It should act as a kick up the arse, and re-focus us for the last 11 games of the season.

Personally thought Saturday was indicative of recent winning performances. Two long range shots that as a rule of thumb, wouldn’t go in normally. Second goal was a poor one to concede but I thought in the first half, some of our passing and movement was better than normal

Three wide players were all poor which didn’t help the cause. Think Mukairu is a good option but he never got into it. Ehib needs to work on utilising his physique. His hold up play with his back to goal is really poor and for someone of his size, he doesn’t win very much in the air at all. Alongside Vickers (when he was here) and Elliott, he’s been one of the few victims of the formation change as I don’t really see a place for him in the XI playing one up front

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Feb 2024 12:04

URZZZZ
JedMaxwell I think we just have to chalk it down to a bad day against opposition who wanted it more than us.

It happens, and the progress shown over the last few months indicates we have more than enough to stay out of the bottom four.

This defeat reminded me of the one at Luton in 05/06 although obviously in a vastly different context. It should act as a kick up the arse, and re-focus us for the last 11 games of the season.

Personally thought Saturday was indicative of recent winning performances. Two long range shots that as a rule of thumb, wouldn’t go in normally. Second goal was a poor one to concede but I thought in the first half, some of our passing and movement was better than normal

Three wide players were all poor which didn’t help the cause. Think Mukairu is a good option but he never got into it. Ehib needs to work on utilising his physique. His hold up play with his back to goal is really poor and for someone of his size, he doesn’t win very much in the air at all. Alongside Vickers (when he was here) and Elliott, he’s been one of the few victims of the formation change as I don’t really see a place for him in the XI playing one up front

With Elliott, feels like he is back up to Knibbs but we don't ever bring Knibbs off - as a result, he comes on out wide. If things aren't working out in a game, then there may be more benefit in shifting Knibbs left and letting Elliott play in the middle behind the striker.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Feb 2024 12:23

I thought Kelvin was good out wide. Far better than Mukairu was. Looked a threat throughout

I don’t think he is a number 9. He’s more a Meite style wide player or a number 10. I think it’s a natural assumption he’ll be a good target man as he’s 6ft4 but that’s necessarily the case

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Feb 2024 12:42

Hound I thought Kelvin was good out wide. Far better than Mukairu was. Looked a threat throughout

I don’t think he is a number 9. He’s more a Meite style wide player or a number 10. I think it’s a natural assumption he’ll be a good target man as he’s 6ft4 but that’s necessarily the case

This. Smith and Wareham would be 9s, WiFi is a 10

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Feb 2024 12:54

Hound I thought Kelvin was good out wide. Far better than Mukairu was. Looked a threat throughout

Don’t agree with the top part (although he was more of a threat than Mukairu, granted) but can see something in the second point. I think he’s got fairly quick feet once he gets the ball under control but of course, getting the ball under control in the first place is half the problem

It’s certainly a position (alongside LB) that I think we’ve struggled to fill all season. Knibbs was totally ineffective there at the start of the season too. Saying that, we haven’t really had settled options down that side for a few years now!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Feb 2024 12:59

Sutekh

Smith played some of his football at Cambridge off the right IIRC

Think it was a different setup to what we do so I can’t really see that happening here but we do need to swap Azeez out from time to time. Looked leggy toward the end on Saturday IMO

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 26 Feb 2024 13:15

Don't mind Kelvin out wide-left. Some of his play on Saturday was excellent, equally some of his hold-up play was poor, and his touch needs working on. But I do think he offers more of a threat there than Knibbs, Mukairu, Vickers, NGW or Elliott have at various points this season. And also offers a decent counter-balance to Femi on the right. The real pity is the injury to Ballard who possibly looked the best of anyone in that wide-left position.

That whole left-side needs surgery in the summer. Needed a nailed-on proper left-back for ages and further forward I really liked the look of Mighten for Port Vale. Be great if we could get him in on loan from Forest next season.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 26 Feb 2024 14:04

The problem with Kelvin on the left is the lack of support he provided to Mola, who got the absolute run around for the first 20 mins or so (but did improve)

Would like to see use swap wingers sides more often, actually get some balls into the box without having to cut back every time first.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Feb 2024 17:57

jd82 The problem with Kelvin on the left is the lack of support he provided to Mola, who got the absolute run around for the first 20 mins or so (but did improve)

Would like to see use swap wingers sides more often, actually get some balls into the box without having to cut back every time first.

Yeah that’s definitely an issue. Bloxham(?) was all over Mola who didnt get a lot of help

Agree with swapping wings from time to time and also Azeez looking knackered. Brave man to bring him off at 2-3 but that’s what the manager is paid to do

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Feb 2024 22:35

Sutekh

Yeah, he's a fairly classic case of big striker can't jump syndrome. Definitely not a 9. Hasn't got the energy to get around the pitch like Knibbs but I wouldn't mind seeing him play off Smith.

Doing pretty well on the left right now though. Hopefully he can put away a few more chances now.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 26 Feb 2024 23:56

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

Yeah, he's a fairly classic case of big striker can't jump syndrome. Definitely not a 9. Hasn't got the energy to get around the pitch like Knibbs but I wouldn't mind seeing him play off Smith.

Doing pretty well on the left right now though. Hopefully he can put away a few more chances now.

Similar to Pavel Pogrebnyak in that aspect - was tall but never going to win much in the air. Sam Smith is much better at that, despite being quite a bit shorter (about 10 cm/4 inches) shorter.

It's great he's got a goal now, even if it's come from a deflection, as I think it will give him a bit of a confidence boost in front of goal.

151 posts