151 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Shrewsbury Town (h)

by Sutekh » 21 Feb 2024 09:09

When : Saturday February 24 2024, 3pm
Where : SCL Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Shrewsbury Town arrive next for their first visit to Reading (and their first ever visit to the SCL/Mad Stad) since losing 2-1 at Elm Park in February 1992. While this game would seem to be a foregone conclusion one should be reminded of the countless occasions, in recent seasons, in which a supposed struggling team turns up at Reading only to find that there is much charitable good will about the place.

The Shrews are on a run of 1 win in 7, or 2 wins in 12. They've lost 4 of those 7 (or 8 of those 12) but have managed to collect 4 points from their last 2 away games (1-1 at Derby and 2-0 at Northampton) so are capable on their travels and could therefore be dangerous opposition.

Shrewsbury are also possibly still experiencing a bit of the proverbial new manager "bounce", certainly as regards away games anyway. Paul Hurst was (re)appointed manager in late January (he was their manager when they reached the L1 play offs in 2018) and this will be his third away game in his second spell as Shrews manager and he hasn't been beaten yet.

Shrewsbury are 19th in the division, 3 points (instead of 7) behind Reading and 2 points above the relegation spots so are in a very nervous situation, especially given the games in hand that Vale and Cheltenham have so may try and "dig in" to hang on to the point they start out with. They are the lowest scorers away from home having managed only 7 goals in the league all season but it should be noted that 3 of those goals have been scored in their last 2 away games so would seem to be improving greatly on their travels after managing just 4 goals in the previous 14 league visits this season.

Striker Daniel Udoh with 5 is Shrewsbury's leading scorer while defender Chey Dunkley is next highest with 4 which would suggest some prowess at set pieces to watch out for, but then Ruben Selles should be well aware of that after the injury time "moments" from their visit to the New Meadow back in November.

Tom Holmes, Mamadi Camara and Jeriel Dorsett are all still out and don't think anyone has been added to that list from the Port Vale exertions on Tuesday so hopefully not too much disruption to the current team selection will be necessary especially with a clear week to follow before the long haul to Carlisle.

Other L1 games this weekend

Wigan v Cheltenham (Friday night)
Barnsley v Derby
Blackpool v Bolton
Bristol Rovers v Carlisle
Burton v Northampton
Cambridge v Peterborough
Charlton v Portsmouth
Exeter v Fleetwood
Oxford v Orient
Port Vale v Lincoln
Stevenage v Wycombe

Referee

Ollie Yates

Previously

9 Dec 23 > Reading 1-3 Barnsley

Historically

The first game against Shrewsbury was played at Elm Park on Wednesday 22 August 1951 and saw Reading win 6-2, since then there have been another 25 games in the league in Reading so this is the 27th season shared with Shropshire's finest.

Current record at home is 14 Reading wins to 6 Shrewsbury wins with 57 scored and 33 conceded, games are usually fairly lively but they are certainly an opposition that need to be taken seriously and given due respect.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Shrewsbury Town (h)

by windermereROYAL » 21 Feb 2024 09:54

23 goals in 33 games, (3 of them against us) but let in 44 which isn`t outrageous, I`m expecting a similar game to last night with them setting out their stall to frustrate us.
Still think we will win though, another 2-0

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 21 Feb 2024 10:53

Thanks for not mentioning the away match where we gifted them 3pts. I'm still traumatised by those late goals.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Feb 2024 10:56

PieEater Thanks for not mentioning the away match where we gifted them 3pts. I'm still traumatised by those late goals.

Argument could be made that those 6 mins of injury time could be the most important of our season as things changed directly after that.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 21 Feb 2024 12:14

Stranded
PieEater Thanks for not mentioning the away match where we gifted them 3pts. I'm still traumatised by those late goals.

Argument could be made that those 6 mins of injury time could be the most important of our season as things changed directly after that.

Yep, 3 defeats in 18 since then, play-off form.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Feb 2024 12:17

Stranded

Not sold. Think had we held on, we'd have just started our resurgence one game earlier.

It was a real low and I want revenge on Saturday. We haven't put in a complete performance and dealt out a thrashing. Let's hope Saturday is the day.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Feb 2024 13:49

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded

Not sold. Think had we held on, we'd have just started our resurgence one game earlier.

It was a real low and I want revenge on Saturday. We haven't put in a complete performance and dealt out a thrashing. Let's hope Saturday is the day.

Not sure I fully agree - the team that ended that game had Hutchinson, Dean and NGW in it. If we had won, they may well have remained an integral part of the match day squad which have stilted us. The defeat then saw all 3 dumped from the squad. Craig given a start - Holmes reintroduced to the squad - Savage came back in to.

That defeat saw Selles clear house a bit and performances started to improve as a result.

Also in terms of thrashings - we did beat Carlisle 5-1 but we didn't play massively well that day. Similar scoreline would be lovely but will equally take a 1-0 win with an 88th minute 55 yarder from Bindon.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Feb 2024 15:33

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal
Stranded

Not sure I fully agree - the team that ended that game had Hutchinson, Dean and NGW in it. If we had won, they may well have remained an integral part of the match day squad which have stilted us. The defeat then saw all 3 dumped from the squad. Craig given a start - Holmes reintroduced to the squad - Savage came back in to.

That defeat saw Selles clear house a bit and performances started to improve as a result.

Also in terms of thrashings - we did beat Carlisle 5-1 but we didn't play massively well that day. Similar scoreline would be lovely but will equally take a 1-0 win with an 88th minute 55 yarder from Bindon.

Never saw the point of signing Dean. I like Hutchinson and he can add quality at times. NGW is a winger who gets played at left back for some ridiculous reason.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 21 Feb 2024 15:52

Sutekh
Stranded
WestYorksRoyal Not sold. Think had we held on, we'd have just started our resurgence one game earlier.

Never saw the point of signing Dean. I like Hutchinson and he can add quality at times. NGW is a winger who gets played at left back for some ridiculous reason.

I imagine the logic behind Dean was experience. We had/have plenty of central defenders, so was never going to be hugely impactful on the pitch.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Feb 2024 15:58

Clyde1998
Sutekh
Stranded

I imagine the logic behind Dean was experience. We had/have plenty of central defenders, so was never going to be hugely impactful on the pitch.

I saw Dean as a Morrison mk. 2 which would have been a great signing if so. The difference was Dean is shit

yuomi

by yuomi » 24 Feb 2024 12:19

Sutekh
Stranded
WestYorksRoyal Not sold. Think had we held on, we'd have just started our resurgence one game earlier.

NGW got played at LB because we were desperately light there and they thought his pace and stamina would transition well to make him a good LWB. He's lightweight and can't tackle or mark so it didn't work. I get the logic in signing Dean. No more Moore/Morrison meant that for all the abundance of CBs we were light on experience and took a gamble that we could find Morrison mk2. Instead we got a twilight player looking for a last pay cheque. Thankfully our roster of young CBs didn't need him.
Would be interested to know how Dean is thought of among the squad.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2024 13:37

yuomi
Sutekh
Stranded

NGW got played at LB because we were desperately light there and they thought his pace and stamina would transition well to make him a good LWB. He's lightweight and can't tackle or mark so it didn't work. I get the logic in signing Dean. No more Moore/Morrison meant that for all the abundance of CBs we were light on experience and took a gamble that we could find Morrison mk2. Instead we got a twilight player looking for a last pay cheque. Thankfully our roster of young CBs didn't need him.
Would be interested to know how Dean is thought of among the squad.

We weren't really light on experience. McIntyre and Holmes had played about 100 games each. Yiadom just hit 200 with us, and Hutch has played a lot too.

I don't see how anyone can say players with the equivalent of more than two full seasons behind them are inexperienced.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2024 14:06

Savage in for Craig.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Feb 2024 14:08

Can’t really argue with that, I guess.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Feb 2024 14:18

Hendo Can’t really argue with that, I guess.

We could test that?

:wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Feb 2024 15:07

This is an utter disgrace. Selles out, in fact everyone out!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Feb 2024 15:08

First game I've been to for over a year

I can only apologise.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Feb 2024 15:12

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Feb 2024 15:17

Just joined, can't believe I've missed 3 goals. Can someone describe briefly what they were like?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Feb 2024 15:19

Ours was good
Neat finish from Smith

151 posts