MATCHWATCH : Carlisle United (a)

132 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Carlisle United (a)

by blythspartan » 03 Mar 2024 13:08

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal I think I might even have Craig and Bindon above Wing. Wing does the spectacular. But Craig and Bindon just do the unglamourous but importsnt work brilliantly, week in, week out.

To have two academy players in basically their debut season be standouts is exceptional. Then there was Abbey too.

Honestly not sure how to place it this year.

I can see the point of view, but you need players with the attacking X face who can do the spectacular, otherwise we'd be a workmanlike team without the quality to win games, which would almost certainly relegate us this season.

To put it another way, I think Wing is at his level in L1, but Craig and Bindon will spend most of their careers well above it.

I appreciate it’s very unlikely, but if we were to ever get back into the Premiership Craig is a player who could play at that level in my opinion. Sadly, we’ll most likely lose him in the summer.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Mar 2024 13:12

blythspartan
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal I can see the point of view, but you need players with the attacking X face who can do the spectacular, otherwise we'd be a workmanlike team without the quality to win games, which would almost certainly relegate us this season.

To put it another way, I think Wing is at his level in L1, but Craig and Bindon will spend most of their careers well above it.

I appreciate it’s very unlikely, but if we were to ever get back into the Premiership Craig is a player who could play at that level in my opinion. Sadly, we’ll most likely lose him in the summer.

Think we should get at least one more season out of him (with new owners).

To play right at the top for long I think he needs to add more of a change of tempo to move the ball forward quicker sometimes, and some goals, or at least a shot.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Mar 2024 13:59

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
Snowflake Royal To put it another way, I think Wing is at his level in L1, but Craig and Bindon will spend most of their careers well above it.

Think we should get at least one more season out of him (with new owners).

To play right at the top for long I think he needs to add more of a change of tempo to move the ball forward quicker sometimes, and some goals, or at least a shot.

If we get good owners in, we can absolutely convince talented young players to stay. Every time you move you take a risk it may not work out, the best way to progress is to be with a club who can take you places. A new owners' ambition should be top half with playoff aspirations in 25, serious promotion contenders in 26, holding our own in the Championship by 28. Young players would stay unless we fall behind that or they get an offer that is simply too good to refuse.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Mar 2024 08:58

Made a weekend of it.

So whoever recommended the Settle-Carlisle line gets a gold star, just bliss. For all the moorland, the best bit was up in the Eden valley and snow-capped hills looming large out of the cloud. Like a fantasy film.

Walk down to the ground - lovely old fashioned one. Huge support. A bit more tense than necessary. What was ultimately a fairly routine 3-1 win felt like a lot closer. I don't think they were any cop - we lost our heads for 10-15 minutes at 3-0 and let them back in.

Three Little Birds was great and perfectly judged.

Checked in to station hotel then had a wander - The Boardroom, Kings Head, The Appletree, Thin White Duke, Hotel bar - for a solid evening and then the most obscene fish and chip shop dinner I've ever had - cumberland sausage and chips. Somewhere a horse is limping.

Sunday. Rail replacement to Workington, train to Ravenglass, sat with a sarnie and ice cream overlooking the estuaries. Beautiful. Back on the train - think that estuary just before Barrow is pretty spectacular as well. Along the coast, again, lovely as the sun went down, and a rapid one home.

traff

by traff » 04 Mar 2024 16:02

stealthpapes Made a weekend of it.

So whoever recommended the Settle-Carlisle line gets a gold star, just bliss. For all the moorland, the best bit was up in the Eden valley and snow-capped hills looming large out of the cloud. Like a fantasy film.

Walk down to the ground - lovely old fashioned one. Huge support. A bit more tense than necessary. What was ultimately a fairly routine 3-1 win felt like a lot closer. I don't think they were any cop - we lost our heads for 10-15 minutes at 3-0 and let them back in.

Checked in to station hotel then had a wander - The Boardroom, Kings Head, The Appletree, Thin White Duke, Hotel bar - for a solid evening and then the most obscene fish and chip shop dinner I've ever had - cumberland sausage and chips. Somewhere a horse is limping.

Sunday. Rail replacement to Workington, train to Ravenglass, sat with a sarnie and ice cream overlooking the estuaries. Beautiful. Back on the train - think that estuary just before Barrow is pretty spectacular as well. Along the coast, again, lovely as the sun went down, and a rapid one home.

Just lovin' away days this season. "Baby don't worry, about the Ding"

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 05 Mar 2024 09:41

traff

100%.

EVERY LITTLE THING GONNA BE ALRIGHT

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Mar 2024 09:50

It's a good chant, but let's be honest we're all very much still worrying about the Ding, and it's not something that can be settled on the pitch.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 05 Mar 2024 10:54

TBH I was singing not to worry about a thing, and didn't realise it had changed for "the Ding", but I think "don't worry about Reading" works better.

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 05 Mar 2024 14:14

It's an absolutely stunning part of the world, South Cumbria/North Lancashire. It's why I love living here. Glad you enjoyed the coastal train. Not seen the Settle to Carlisle train though, certainly something I'll check out.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 05 Mar 2024 14:47

stealthpapes Somewhere a horse is limping.

:lol:

traff

by traff » 05 Mar 2024 20:01

PieEater TBH I was singing not to worry about a thing, and didn't realise it had changed for "the Ding", but I think "don't worry about Reading" works better.

Could be! I am still singing "I'm blue, if I was green I would die." Eiffel 65

traff

by traff » 05 Mar 2024 21:35

stealthpapes
traff

100%.

EVERY LITTLE THING GONNA BE ALRIGHT

OK!
I DIDN'T NOTICE, OR KNOW DEAR, SUNSHINE
Don't think Bob minds

132 posts