132 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Carlisle United (a)

by Sutekh » 28 Feb 2024 00:27

When : Saturday March 2 2024, 3pm
Where : Brunton Park, Warwick Road, Carlisle, CA1 1LL
Capacity : 17,949

After another Shrewsbury shambles comes what everyone expects will be the best remedy possible - a trip to bottom of the table Carlisle who have lost 8 of their last 9 league games. However you could have said something approaching similarity for the visit of Shrewsbury but instead we found that AFC Charity had turned up so to look forward to this one we're going to have to hope that the club can once again do without recoursing to fundraising exercises for the needy.

The Cumbrians beat Port Vale 2-1 at home on New Year's Day, which was the last game they had won in any competition anywhere until Tuesday when they won only their second away game of the season (1-0 at Burton). So let's hope that they are not finding some form at just the wrong time for Reading.

Jordan Gibson has hit 7 so far as the Cumbrians leading scorer but overall Carlisle have struggled for goals having only managed 11 at home and they have the division's second worst home record (only Fleetwood have a poorer home record). However it should be noted that Reading have the division's second worst away record (and couldn't even hold on to get the 3 points at Fleetwood (though to be fair that was due to yet another of those ****** awful refereeing decision that regularly blight every game at this level it seems - thinking it's the lower divisions that need VAR rather than the PL)) with only Carlisle themselves being worst on league travels.

Camara, Holmes and Dorsett are expected to still be missing and with there having been a week off for recovery after the Shrewsbury shambles it's probably unlikely that there will be any additions on the injury side, so any changes are likely to be more down to a case of Selles' fiddling about.

The extra 2 points taken off Reading has really dropped them back into the "combat" zone but those points can be regained quickly if Reading manage to come back from Brunton Park with three points. There's no doubt that this game and the visit of Wycombe next Saturday are now probably the most critical pair of games for Reading this season. Success in both will, hopefully, restore the status quo of Reading being comfortable, anything less though and it'll be back to the anxious glances at things going on behind us.

Saturday's fixtures for clubs around Reading in the table:

Bolton v Cambridge
Cheltenham v Burton
Derby v Port Vale
Fleetwood v Wigan
Northampton v Charlton
Shewsbury v Blackpool
Wycombe v Barnsley

Referee

Martin Coy

Previously

Nothing

Historically

Only 5 previous trips up to Carlisle with the last being a 2-1 defeat almost 42 years ago in March 1982. Overall honours are even between the clubs in this fixture with there being 3 draws and a win apiece from the 5 games played. Of course the last time the clubs met at Brunton Park the stands were actually aligned with the pitch whereas this visit will likely see some of the 1500 Reading fans presented with the sort of view below, though this is not thought to be because Carlisle are so bad that even the stand is trying to leave the ground.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Carlisle United (a)

by Mid Sussex Royal » 28 Feb 2024 15:38

Holmes & Dorsett confirmed by Selles as still out, but hopefully back next week

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Feb 2024 15:43

Dorsett being back sooner rather than later would be a boost.

Would be tempted to bring Holmes back in for Mbengue as well. As much as I think Mbengue has done well since coming in at CB, he is far too enthusiastic for a CB for my liking :lol:

Stockport Royal

by Stockport Royal » 28 Feb 2024 16:15

In x3 for this, looks like we've sold a good few which is cracking to see!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Feb 2024 17:54

Mid Sussex Royal Holmes & Dorsett confirmed by Selles as still out, but hopefully back next week

Given what seemed to be wrong, that would be a shockingly good recovery for both for us.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Feb 2024 03:11

Stockport Royal In x3 for this, looks like we've sold a good few which is cracking to see!

I'm estimating we're at about 1,360 at the moment. Absolutely incredible effort.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Feb 2024 17:32

Paul Simpson's pre match comments are interesting, he reckons Carlisle would only be about 6 points behind us without the points deduction, and goes on to say we're really been struggling.

Maybe they've scouted the wrong team ....

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 29 Feb 2024 18:11

Total respect and admiration to all the fans making the mammoth journey up north Saturday , safe journey

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Feb 2024 18:42

Mid Sussex Royal Paul Simpson's pre match comments are interesting, he reckons Carlisle would only be about 6 points behind us without the points deduction, and goes on to say we're really been struggling.

For the sake of the Dyscalculian (sp?) Simpson: 36+6-23 = 19

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Feb 2024 18:43

Gunny Fishcake Total respect and admiration to all the fans making the mammoth journey up north Saturday , safe journey

Maybe they can come up with an appropriate song for Paul SImpson during their long journey up there.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 29 Feb 2024 20:19

Gunny Fishcake Total respect and admiration to all the fans making the mammoth journey up north Saturday , safe journey

Love a good road trip me. Going up tomorrow night as don't fancy getting up at 6am on a Saturday for this one.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 29 Feb 2024 20:28

Royal_jimmy

Love a good road trip me. Going up tomorrow night as don't fancy getting up at 6am on a Saturday for this one.

I never mind a long drive to a game. It's the journey home, especially if it's dark, that's insanely boring.

I do worry that this week's news, plus Saturday's defeat, will have dented the spirit in the squad.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Mar 2024 08:54

RoyalBlue
Mid Sussex Royal Paul Simpson's pre match comments are interesting, he reckons Carlisle would only be about 6 points behind us without the points deduction, and goes on to say we're really been struggling.

For the sake of the Dyscalculian (sp?) Simpson: 36+6-23 = 19

I did start reading the comments and then got a bit confused and thought I was reading about another team tbh. I’ll go back and re-read now!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 Mar 2024 08:55

Royal_jimmy

It is going to get called off from what I am hearing.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 01 Mar 2024 09:14

NathStPaul
Royal_jimmy

I take it your worrymongering on this is because you won't be one of the 1400 or so trekking up there, even though you appear to have a big hat?

A few heavy showers expected overnight, dry before and after so game should be on even given Carlisle's reputation for disappearing at the slightest drop of water.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/fo ... 2024-03-01

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 01 Mar 2024 09:27

Sutekh
NathStPaul
Royal_jimmy

I take it your worrymongering on this is because you won't be one of the 1400 or so trekking up there, even though you appear to have a big hat?

A few heavy showers expected overnight, dry before and after so game should be on even given Carlisle's reputation for disappearing at the slightest drop of water.

Damage is already done. Cancel your trip.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Mar 2024 09:29

NathStPaul
Sutekh
NathStPaul It is going to get called off from what I am hearing.

If that were true it would surely already be cancelled.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 01 Mar 2024 10:03

Snowflake Royal
NathStPaul
Sutekh

If that were true it would surely already be cancelled.

He meant the damage to his brain.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 01 Mar 2024 10:14

Not one to dwell on manager comments but hope we smash them again.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Mar 2024 10:30

tidus_mi2 Not one to dwell on manager comments but hope we smash them again.

Current players and staff ‘probably’ not to blame for our current financial predicament apparently.

Sounds like he’s researched this really well!

132 posts