The Magic Number Thread

188 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Magic Number Thread

by Millsy » 02 Apr 2024 16:35

I don't know about no magic number malarkey.

My method is to wait until the end of the season and see where we are in the table. Works every time.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 02 Apr 2024 16:50

The problem is that unusual results this close to the end of the season can have a really negative (or positive) impact. All being well and we win on Saturday against Lincoln and other results go our way then we would be nine points above the dotted line which, with four games to go would be a great position to be in.

However, if we lost and Port Vale, Burton and Cheltenham win then we would be only four points above the dotted line which is really not a place I want us to be in. Of course, if one of those three lose, then we would still be, at least, five points above the dotted line if not still six points.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Apr 2024 17:11

Royal Ginger We’ll probably do just enough to stay up and then have our suspended points deduction triggered with a celebratory pitch invasion thus relegating us.

If any single post sums up what it has been like to be a Reading supporter this season, this is it.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 03 Apr 2024 08:51

Millsy I don't know about no magic number malarkey.

My method is to wait until the end of the season and see where we are in the table. Works every time.

Not if points deductions come into play…..

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Apr 2024 09:23

Crusader Royal

Famous last words but they really shouldn't now - HMRC and wages appear to have been paid on time in March meaning the only remaining hurdle is the tax due on the 22nd April - the club were already confident they would have the funds to cover that and Redwood have loaned the club money to cover ongoing obligations during exclusivity - so unless fans get a game abandoned, we should be OK now.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 03 Apr 2024 09:31

Stranded
Crusader Royal

Famous last words but they really shouldn't now - HMRC and wages appear to have been paid on time in March meaning the only remaining hurdle is the tax due on the 22nd April - the club were already confident they would have the funds to cover that and Redwood have loaned the club money to cover ongoing obligations during exclusivity - so unless fans get a game abandoned, we should be OK now.

I wonder what the loan terms are ?
If Redwood discover significant issues and withdraw do they forfeit the loan ?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Apr 2024 12:32

Crusader Royal

I'm not aware of deductions being applied retrospectively after the last game of the season. I hope I'm not wrong!

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 03 Apr 2024 15:26

Millsy
Crusader Royal

I'm not aware of deductions being applied retrospectively after the last game of the season. I hope I'm not wrong!

I seem to remember Wigan having points deducted after the season ended or was it just before the last game? It was only a few seasons ago but can't think why it was. Could have been to do administration, I suppose.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Apr 2024 16:30

What nobody knows is how important the magic number is. 2 months ago, 99% of the fan base would have snapped your hand off for L2 but a new owner in for next season. With the deal supposedly closer, how important is staying up? Is relegation merely bad or existential?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Apr 2024 16:46

The Royal Forester
Millsy
Crusader Royal

I seem to remember Wigan having points deducted after the season ended or was it just before the last game? It was only a few seasons ago but can't think why it was. Could have been to do administration, I suppose.

It was for administration. If imposed close to the end of the season, it's suspended until the end of the season. If the club finishes outside the bottom 3, it is imposed that season, if they finish in the bottom 3, it is carried over until the next season.

You can thank Leeds for that, who announced administration 10 minutes from the end of their last game when it was clear they were going down in the hope the deduction would be imposed that season. The EFL said no, carried 10 point deduction over to the following season and gave them an extra 12 just for being a bunch of cheating pcunts.

And you can thank Leicester for there being any points deductions at all for going into administration but that's another story about cheating.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Apr 2024 18:02

WestYorksRoyal What nobody knows is how important the magic number is. 2 months ago, 99% of the fan base would have snapped your hand off for L2 but a new owner in for next season. With the deal supposedly closer, how important is staying up? Is relegation merely bad or existential?

Bad.

It means the owners have to cut more and lose more to start with. And it's longer and harder to get back to a level our facilities are appropriate for and possible to manage sustainably more than short term.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Apr 2024 18:20

From Despair To Where?
The Royal Forester
Millsy

It was for administration. If imposed close to the end of the season, it's suspended until the end of the season. If the club finishes outside the bottom 3, it is imposed that season, if they finish in the bottom 3, it is carried over until the next season.

You can thank Leeds for that, who announced administration 10 minutes from the end of their last game when it was clear they were going down in the hope the deduction would be imposed that season. The EFL said no, carried 10 point deduction over to the following season and gave them an extra 12 just for being a bunch of cheating pcunts.

And you can thank Leicester for there being any points deductions at all for going into administration but that's another story about cheating.

Interesting thanks.

So if the season has ended, full time across all games for the division, it is technically possible then that a deduction can be slapped on to screw a club over?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Apr 2024 19:22

Millsy
From Despair To Where?
The Royal Forester I seem to remember Wigan having points deducted after the season ended or was it just before the last game? It was only a few seasons ago but can't think why it was. Could have been to do administration, I suppose.

Interesting thanks.

So if the season has ended, full time across all games for the division, it is technically possible then that a deduction can be slapped on to screw a club over?

Yes - if Everton are deducted points again they will almost certainly appeal which will run on after the season has ended.

And as has been said if for arguments sake a club just above us say like Exeter went into administration after the end of the season, but before the end of June, the EFL would deduct the 12 points this season if it relegated them.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 04 Apr 2024 10:41

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal What nobody knows is how important the magic number is. 2 months ago, 99% of the fan base would have snapped your hand off for L2 but a new owner in for next season. With the deal supposedly closer, how important is staying up? Is relegation merely bad or existential?

Bad.

It means the owners have to cut more and lose more to start with. And it's longer and harder to get back to a level our facilities are appropriate for and possible to manage sustainably more than short term.

Definitely bad.

I would imagine that the new prospective owners will be offering a sum of money on the proviso that we are a L1 club next season, a sum that Dai considers meets his valuation.

Unless Dai has agreed a 2nd (almost certainly lower) price in the event we get relegated, if we do get relegated then the new prospective owners will be demanding a discount of the price agreed and then we are back to Dai agreeing to that reduction in the price - something I wouldn't want to stake the Club's future on.

So, IF we get relegated, I fear it would be existential for us.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Apr 2024 10:50

Mr Angry
Snowflake Royal

Bad.

Definitely bad.

I would imagine that the new prospective owners will be offering a sum of money on the proviso that we are a L1 club next season, a sum that Dai considers meets his valuation.

Unless Dai has agreed a 2nd (almost certainly lower) price in the event we get relegated, if we do get relegated then the new prospective owners will be demanding a discount of the price agreed and then we are back to Dai agreeing to that reduction in the price - something I wouldn't want to stake the Club's future on.

Which is why the EFL rules in this area are so dangerous and irresponsible. From 2017 - 2020 we broke FFP so fine, deduct points.

But deducting points when an owner loses interest, in an ecosystem where 95% of clubs in the top 5 tiers depend upon their owner, is just kicking clubs while they're down. With those 6 points we'd be absolutely safe. But there's still a chance they could relegate, and then subsequently destroy, us. Obviously EFL clubs vote for the rules so the EFL has to enforce them; it's just another example why football can't mark its own homework.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Apr 2024 15:28

WestYorksRoyal
Mr Angry
Snowflake Royal Bad.

Definitely bad.

Which is why the EFL rules in this area are so dangerous and irresponsible. From 2017 - 2020 we broke FFP so fine, deduct points.

But deducting points when an owner loses interest, in an ecosystem where 95% of clubs in the top 5 tiers depend upon their owner, is just kicking clubs while they're down. With those 6 points we'd be absolutely safe. But there's still a chance they could relegate, and then subsequently destroy, us. Obviously EFL clubs vote for the rules so the EFL has to enforce them; it's just another example why football can't mark its own homework.

The issue is that ffp rules as they currently stand are utterly ridiculous and have to be changed for rules that enable the FL to pick up offences in the same season and therefore the offending club(s) punished at the time of the offence(s), rather than the stupidity of a system that encourages clubs to find legal loopholes, muddy the water as much as possible and for the FL to end up applying any punishments due at what is likely to be completely the wrong time. But then the vagueness of it all is probably why the turkeys voted for it, so no wonder it's all such a complete mess.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Apr 2024 15:41

WestYorksRoyal
Mr Angry
Snowflake Royal Bad.

Definitely bad.

Undermines the integrity of the competition if some teams aren't paying their taxes.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Apr 2024 15:54

SCIAG
WestYorksRoyal
Mr Angry
Definitely bad.

Undermines the integrity of the competition if some teams aren't paying their taxes.

If teams don't pay their taxes HMRC can file a winding up petition and that is incentive enough for them to pay.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2024 17:06

WestYorksRoyal
SCIAG
WestYorksRoyal Which is why the EFL rules in this area are so dangerous and irresponsible. From 2017 - 2020 we broke FFP so fine, deduct points.

If teams don't pay their taxes HMRC can file a winding up petition and that is incentive enough for them to pay.

Nope

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Apr 2024 16:34

For those interested, Opta think we only have a 2.9% chance of relegation. I wish I shared their confidence.

188 posts