Giant Ruben flag...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Giant Ruben flag...

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2024 21:48

Crowbar6753
NathStPaul Didn't see Nigel Adkins getting a giant flag for doing a fairly average job.

Holy Nath, why so negative bud!! Ruben started poorly but has overcome huge adversity and has done an amazing job in most fans eye's whilst the whole club has pretty much fallen around him!! The guy speaks well and isn't afraid to say his piece and has got a bunch of young players playing for the club.....i really couldn't see Nigel doing the same under the conditions Ruben has had to deal with.

Most fans said at the start of the season it would need a miracle to stay up!! we're now 5 games shy of pulling that miracle out of the hat. I for one appreciate everything this guy has done for the club and if this is a way the fans can show the appreciation to Ruben then surly the guy deserves a moment of respect from the fans.

A giant flag being raised high by club 1871 from now until the end of the season will be a special moment for any manager.

I don't remember the consensus being a miracle to stay up at the start of the season. Maybe in November when we were on a run of 2 points in 9 games. But then a lot of that was Selles fault.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Apr 2024 22:02

Yep, definite revisionism going on saying that we all expected relegation. I expected a slow start, we got 9 points from our opening 8 and I thought that sort of form would continue until December or so then we'd improve a bit. Then we only got 2 from the following 8. Results now are about the level I expected us to reach.

But countering that, with hindsight the job was much harder than I appreciated at the time. The off field situation was even worse than we knew, and I also underestimated just how hard it is to develop a young team together (particularly as experienced players like Dean, Button and Hutchinson have largely been disappointing).

So overall I think he's done a good job, and to be where we are given our first 16 games is a great effort. But I don't think we've surpassed my expectations; more I've concluded my early expectation were unrealistic.

He also gets credit for how he has conducted himself. On the pitch, Stam was a successful manager but we never liked him as he was a grumpy bastard. By contrast, most people like Selles. Even Saints fans are glad to see it working out for him.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 04 Apr 2024 22:14

Really? After the what? 4 pre season defeats in row? People were already baying for blood and we were expecting a long old slog of a season ahead. Our transfer business was done late a load of unknowns and journey men. I started the season thinking a mid table finish was going to be the absolute max. I don’t think anyone was in any doubt we were going to struggle

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 05 Apr 2024 01:14

Mid Sussex Royal The flag is grammatically correct in Spanish.

Think "Copa Del Rey" as an example of the grammar.

Except rey is not a proper noun ... Berkshire is.

"Spanish Cup" would be "Copa de Espana" (proper noun)
"Berkshire Cup" would be "Copa de Berkshire" (proper noun)
"County Cup" would be "Copa del Condado" (not a proper noun)

"King of the county" / "County King" would be "Rey del Condado"
"King of Berkshire" / "Berkshire King" would be "Rey de Berkshire"

Maybe we should ask Ruben :)

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Apr 2024 08:17

Didn't Adkins make a rod for his own back by making ridiculous claims like we were going to score 100 goals that season?

I certainly remember when Selles was appointed that the general consensus was that he was a joke appointment. There were very few people even saying give the bloke a chance. Definitely flip flopped between "foreign manager with no experience" to " look at his record at Southampton".

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2024 08:57

From Despair To Where? Didn't Adkins make a rod for his own back by making ridiculous claims like we were going to score 100 goals that season?

I certainly remember when Selles was appointed that the general consensus was that he was a joke appointment. There were very few people even saying give the bloke a chance. Definitely flip flopped between "foreign manager with no experience" to " look at his record at Southampton".

I think Adkins was a strong believer in setting stretch goals and being open about it.

I don't think he said we would, I think he said it was a target. And we got 70, which was top 5.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Apr 2024 09:02

Yeah, but it sets you up to fail given that most seasons, no one achieves it. I'm all for setting targets but not stupid ones that are largely unachievable. To the outsider, it makes you look like an idiot.

70 sounds good but when you target 100 you needed to score 40% more goals.

Anyway, my general point was that the response to Selles' appointment was overwhelmingly negative, but you knew that because you still take every opportunity to damn him with faint praise. You can't say anything positive about him without there being a caveat.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 05 Apr 2024 09:17, edited 2 times in total.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Apr 2024 09:14

Brogue Really? After the what? 4 pre season defeats in row? People were already baying for blood and we were expecting a long old slog of a season ahead. Our transfer business was done late a load of unknowns and journey men. I started the season thinking a mid table finish was going to be the absolute max. I don’t think anyone was in any doubt we were going to struggle

This season isn't far off what I expected really. A point a game early on and then an uptick in form in the winter.

Were it not for the points deductions or that woeful run of 2 points from 8, we'd be mid table pushing top half. It just feels worse as with 5 games left we're not safe yet.

But the point I was trying to make is in hindsight I probably underestimated what a tough job it was, and many others did too. Where we are is not par; it's over achievement.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2024 10:02

WestYorksRoyal
Brogue Really? After the what? 4 pre season defeats in row? People were already baying for blood and we were expecting a long old slog of a season ahead. Our transfer business was done late a load of unknowns and journey men. I started the season thinking a mid table finish was going to be the absolute max. I don’t think anyone was in any doubt we were going to struggle

This season isn't far off what I expected really. A point a game early on and then an uptick in form in the winter.

Were it not for the points deductions or that woeful run of 2 points from 8, we'd be mid table pushing top half. It just feels worse as with 5 games left we're not safe yet.

But the point I was trying to make is in hindsight I probably underestimated what a tough job it was, and many others did too. Where we are is not par; it's over achievement.

I think Selles has done an excellent job with all the off field stuff.

Tbh, the worse the off field stuff has got, the better he has done.

We started well but couldn't get results, then it all just fell apart as he got further and further into an ethos dug hole rather than deal with reality. In a lot of ways that exceptionally poor run was very self-inflicted.

In hindsight I think the mid-table expectations were pretty reasonable. Although of course none of us expected Dai to pull the plug and refuse to sell for the season.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 05 Apr 2024 10:56

Horsham Royal

Except rey is not a proper noun ... Berkshire is.

"Spanish Cup" would be "Copa de Espana" (proper noun)
"Berkshire Cup" would be "Copa de Berkshire" (proper noun)
"County Cup" would be "Copa del Condado" (not a proper noun)

"King of the county" / "County King" would be "Rey del Condado"
"King of Berkshire" / "Berkshire King" would be "Rey de Berkshire"

Maybe we should ask Ruben :)

Ultimately none of this now matters, as the latest (final?) iteration of the flag simply says "El Jefe", according to yesterday's Facebook post from the organisers

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 05 Apr 2024 10:59

The final design

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 05 Apr 2024 11:07

windermereROYAL The final design

I like The Boss. A fiver well spent.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 Apr 2024 11:28

Don't like the design.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2024 11:31

What a shock. :lol:

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 05 Apr 2024 12:32

Cup of *the* king?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 06 Apr 2024 00:00

blythspartan

Thanks Buddy!!!

scumbag

by scumbag » 06 Apr 2024 00:14

skipper
blythspartan

Thanks Buddy!!!

Good work Skipp

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 06 Apr 2024 07:26

What have you done with the excess money you didn't need Skipper? Assume you've refunded it?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 06 Apr 2024 09:18

NathStPaul What have you done with the excess money you didn't need Skipper? Assume you've refunded it?

What excess money?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 07 Apr 2024 10:36

Didn’t see this yesterday thought it was going to be ready for the Lincoln game? So just one home game left Blackpool. I would lol if he leaves in the summer. £2000 for one outing then it would have to be burned wrapped around a Judas effigy