The phoenix club thread

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The phoenix club thread

by Forbury Lion » 13 Mar 2024 13:41

WestYorksRoyal How do I edit the title ? :lol:
What do you want it changed to? - I've got moderator powers so can do it if you can't

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 13 Mar 2024 13:46

Maybe create a new club anyway, even if Reading FC survives. This town could do with a non-league club (assuming that isn't going to be Reading FC).
Maybe in 50 years time our descendants will be attending the Reading derby in the Premier League, a big six pointer with European Super League qualification up for grabs.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Mar 2024 13:48

Forbury Lion
WestYorksRoyal How do I edit the title ? :lol:
What do you want it changed to? - I've got moderator powers so can do it if you can't

It's fine, I managed to fix it. Originally my auto correct created a phone club thread.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 13 Mar 2024 18:43

Forbury Lion Maybe create a new club anyway, even if Reading FC survives. This town could do with a non-league club (assuming that isn't going to be Reading FC).
Maybe in 50 years time our descendants will be attending the Reading derby in the Premier League, a big six pointer with European Super League qualification up for grabs.

We have Reading City as non League.
Got a nice little ground with a couple of stands. If we restarted for me it wouldn't be the same. It's a new club.
I don't think I could support anyone else.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 13 Mar 2024 21:22

Ascotexgunner We have Reading City as non League.
Got a nice little ground

Have they done it up?

I went there in the Highmoor Ibis days, and it was a grotty dump without a single redeeming feature.

JR

by JR » 13 Mar 2024 23:10

Green
Snowflake Royal
Green Agree in that I'd need to have confidence in the new outfit before investing, but for me the bar is somewhat higher than STAR and Nigel f*cking Howe. That lot couldn't organise a piss up in brewery.

My main concern is my money being used for the purpose it was given. Not how well it is used.

If you want a lot better than that, you might as well just say you flat out won't contribute.

I think you're jumping ahead somewhat. When there is something to contribute to I'll make a decision.

(The current "buy more tickets so we can prop up corrupt millionaire Dai" is a no, fwiw)

I agree with this - the naivety of the journalists and SBWD etc who are believing the “don’t worry it’s just a short term March hole to fill” is staggering beyond belief.

This is exactly the talk of desperate business owners hoping for a miracle and convincing themselves that the money that ‘should’ have come through last month will almost definitely come in next month. We all know how that normally ends.

Howe appears to be nothing but a mouthpiece for Dai without having any clout or influence. He should have publicly resigned his role after Sunday’s
Bearwood statement, otherwise he must be complicit in aligning with those comms.

scumbag

by scumbag » 14 Mar 2024 07:06

1871 Reading would definitely have to be the name.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 14 Mar 2024 09:31

Was just discussing the name of a phoenix club with another supporter.

Is there any reason we couldn't just call it "Reading" with no prefix or suffix?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 14 Mar 2024 09:34

1871 Readingum

biff

by biff » 14 Mar 2024 10:02

Dai Perry did it!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 14 Mar 2024 10:24

is there actually anyone looking into this in terms of level we could start at and where we could play?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Mar 2024 10:43

Armadillo Roadkill Was just discussing the name of a phoenix club with another supporter.

Is there any reason we couldn't just call it "Reading" with no prefix or suffix?

:roll: You'll be wanting the new club to play in blue and white hoops next

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 14 Mar 2024 10:50

Sutekh
Armadillo Roadkill Was just discussing the name of a phoenix club with another supporter.

:roll: You'll be wanting the new club to play in blue and white hoops next

Of course.

It looks like we're losing our club due to the incompetence and disregard for others of just two people. Why should we lose the heritage of a club over 150 years old on a technicality that has nothing to do with football or community, but instead the actions of a couple of billionaires who tought he could buy favour with the overlords of the PRC through buying Reading FC?

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 14 Mar 2024 11:15

Seems the biggest risk to 106 now stems from the club holding the record no longer existing.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 14 Mar 2024 15:31

Greatwesternline Seems the biggest risk to 106 now stems from the club holding the record no longer existing.

I reckon that the record would still stand even without Reading existing.

If a 100m runner has the world record and then dies, they don’t lose the record.

It’s a bit of a weird record anyway, given that it’s been beaten in lower leagues.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Mar 2024 22:56

St Pauli It’s a bit of a weird record anyway, given that it’s been beaten in lower leagues.

Lower leagues don't count. Neither do higher leagues.

If Usain Bolt runs 100m in 9.67 seconds in the Olympics, good for him, but he doesn't hold the Waingels Year 9 100m record.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Mar 2024 23:12

biff Dai Perry did it!

Wtf

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 14 Mar 2024 23:13

St Pauli
Greatwesternline Seems the biggest risk to 106 now stems from the club holding the record no longer existing.

I reckon that the record would still stand even without Reading existing.

If a 100m runner has the world record and then dies, they don’t lose the record.

It’s a bit of a weird record anyway, given that it’s been beaten in lower leagues.

How is it weird? Record points in the championship

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 14 Mar 2024 23:57

It might sound ridiculous but if the council could be encouraged to buy the Mad Stad then it's not something to be ruled out. I'd ask the question.

Easier to rent off the council and if the club is well supported, it'll shoot through the leagues.

It might be a lot of fun but it's still something I hope there is no need for.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 15 Mar 2024 08:01

SCIAG
St Pauli It’s a bit of a weird record anyway, given that it’s been beaten in lower leagues.

Lower leagues don't count. Neither do higher leagues.

If Usain Bolt runs 100m in 9.67 seconds in the Olympics, good for him, but he doesn't hold the Waingels Year 9 100m record.

True but if the Waingels year 9s beat his Olympic record, the Olympic record does lose some of its cachet. Ultimately what makes his Olympic record such an achievement is that he appears to be the fastest man who ever lived on record. If it’s just ‘fastest man in this arbitrary human definition of what we count and don’t count’ it’s a less glamorous record.

Also, the reason the Premier League doesn’t count is that it only has 20 clubs, so there’s a ceiling on how many points a PL side can get, and that ceiling is lower than the football league ceiling. The National League and Football League leagues all have 24 clubs in, so if a National League side get over 106 points in a season, in reality they have, on one level, ‘beaten’ Reading’s 106 record.