MATCHWATCH : Cambridge United (h)

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Cambridge United (h)

by MouldyRoyal » 17 Mar 2024 12:51

Azeez's touch to take the ball from behind him past Morro was obscene, kinda stuff that would have had multiple angle, slow-mo repeats if done in the prem. Huge sign of his confidence at the moment. Love it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Mar 2024 13:16

Hound Only after watching the highlights did I realise how good that double save was

Also knew this at the time but Kelvins goal was something special.

Still trying to work out if that was an insanely clever and good first touch to tee himself up, or an insanely good reaction to a slightly loose touch from an over heavy pass.

I think the former, but I love me some Kelv.

Even on replay I hadn't worked out if that save was a double from Pereira or a save and then block from (I think) Bindon.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 17 Mar 2024 14:30

Snowflake Royal
Hound Only after watching the highlights did I realise how good that double save was

Still trying to work out if that was an insanely clever and good first touch to tee himself up, or an insanely good reaction to a slightly loose touch from an over heavy pass.

Even on replay I hadn't worked out if that save was a double from Pereira or a save and then block from (I think) Bindon.

I remember it as a double save but Pereira did get a bang on the head somewhere along the lines, probably from our defender, as he was rubbing his head a lot after the ball went up field.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 17 Mar 2024 14:36

Talking about it yesterday, but we`ve not had a pen in 37 league games now and only one all season that AC missed at Port Vale, this has to be some kind of club record.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Mar 2024 14:53

windermereROYAL Talking about it yesterday, but we`ve not had a pen in 37 league games now and only one all season that AC missed at Port Vale, this has to be some kind of club record.

I was thinking about that too. It's not as if we've had many blatant appeals turned down either. The opposite of the Stam season where it felt like we were getting penalties every week and scoring the rebounds.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 17 Mar 2024 15:14

Well that was coming. Battered Wycombe in the second half last week, and dominated Shrewsbury for 85 minutes in the home game before that without the ball going in the net. No freak goals for the opposition this week.

Well it went in yesterday. Great goals from Azeez and Wing, and a spectacular one from Ehibhatiomhan.

Pereira - Went wandering at one point in the second half, but that was his only aberration. Great double save. Came for crosses which is a huge improvement. 6

Mola - One great run and unlucky with a shot in the first half. Solid other than that. Best game in a Reading shirt. 6

Mbengue - Comfortable afternoon against lazy disinterested mouthy gobshite Lyle Taylor. 6

Bindon - Took a few risks but Taylor wasn't going to pressure him. 6

Dorsett - Again another defender with a comfortable afternoon. Should've come off a bit earlier given it was his first game back from injury. 6

Savage - Really stepped up since coming back from his contract dispute. Kept the ball moving, showed a nice range of passing, very busy. 7

Wing - Ran midfield. Intelligent creative passing and nonchalantly dispatched the ball in the top corner for his goal. 9 motm

Knibbs - Not his best game but worked hard against his former club and helped the tempo of the team. 6

Azeez - Back to his best. Took the goal well and burned Morro for pace. 7

Elliott - some nice passes. tried hard, but not quite there yet. 5

Smith - Another game, another goal. Worked hard as usual and is finally seeing the rewards after a barren spell. 7

Ehibhatiomhan - Great goal. 7
Mukairu - Very good run but didn't get the last bit right which seemed to really annoy Knibbs, and they had a squabble. 6
Abrefa - Solid
Rushesha - N/A
Dean N/A
Last edited by Orion1871 on 17 Mar 2024 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Mar 2024 16:54

morganb
Snowflake Royal

I remember it as a double save but Pereira did get a bang on the head somewhere along the lines, probably from our defender, as he was rubbing his head a lot after the ball went up field.

In his interview after the game he said 'you mean the one I saved with my head?'

And I'd give JP at least an extra mark on the scores for his demonstrative and very vocal communication with his team mates throughout the game. Much better in that regard than Button and something that always benefits a team IMO.

Dulwich Royal

by Dulwich Royal » 17 Mar 2024 18:58

The squabble was between Smith and Mukairo, Knibbs was peacemaker.
Smith had a likely tap in if Mukairo had crossed and Smith told him so

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 17 Mar 2024 19:22

Dulwich Royal The squabble was between Smith and Mukairo, Knibbs was peacemaker.

...saw that from the ED .... v.glad to see they'd hugged and made up at the final whistle - Smith made sure to go over to Paul M. ... was a great run from Mukairu too and deserved a goal to round it off.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 17 Mar 2024 19:42

Four Of Clubs
Dulwich Royal The squabble was between Smith and Mukairo, Knibbs was peacemaker.

...saw that from the ED .... v.glad to see they'd hugged and made up at the final whistle - Smith made sure to go over to Paul M. ... was a great run from Mukairu too and deserved a goal to round it off.

Didn't see this squabble but Mbengue and Savage got quite animated with each other at one point in the second half. Not even sure what over but there was a fair bit of gesticulating going on

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 18 Mar 2024 09:57

Ref did a good job there too. Walked Mukairu away and could be seen speaking to him, telling him to calm down and think. I can understand why at 4-0 up and after such an incredible run, Mukairu was tempted to go for the glory, I can also see why Smith was pissed off although looking at the replay, depending on when Mukairu might have crossed the ball, he may have strayed offside.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 18 Mar 2024 11:38

An excellent performance. Cambridge didn't press us like Wycombe did and we just rang rings around them. Thought Savage benefited from having the space to play and did very well. Both him and Wing's movement was better than the last few games I've seen and we looked consistently fluid and dangerous.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Mar 2024 11:45

Seen a few people say that Mola has gotten better with more game time. I'd tend to agree, always has looked shaky, but apart from the Wycombe penalty fiasco, the last 2 games are the best games I've seen him play for us. Versatile across the back 4 is always handy as well.

Looked to get forward with good intent on Saturday.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2024 12:51

leon An excellent performance. Cambridge didn't press us like Wycombe did and we just rang rings around them. Thought Savage benefited from having the space to play and did very well. Both him and Wing's movement was better than the last few games I've seen and we looked consistently fluid and dangerous.

Yeah, Cambridge were very weak in midfield, lazy upfront and slow at the back. Very much let us play and we know if a side leaves us to it we can do damage.

In terms of on the pitch, the scoreline was thoroughly deserved, but in the wider context of the league it was a bit flattering to our overall quality.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2024 12:52

Hendo Seen a few people say that Mola has gotten better with more game time. I'd tend to agree, always has looked shaky, but apart from the Wycombe penalty fiasco, the last 2 games are the best games I've seen him play for us. Versatile across the back 4 is always handy as well.

Looked to get forward with good intent on Saturday.

He still has the odd moment, but that's expected. Looks like an actual footballer now.

Biggest strength is defending the back post on crosses imo.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 18 Mar 2024 14:01

Snowflake Royal
leon An excellent performance. Cambridge didn't press us like Wycombe did and we just rang rings around them. Thought Savage benefited from having the space to play and did very well. Both him and Wing's movement was better than the last few games I've seen and we looked consistently fluid and dangerous.

Yeah, Cambridge were very weak in midfield, lazy upfront and slow at the back. Very much let us play and we know if a side leaves us to it we can do damage.

In terms of on the pitch, the scoreline was thoroughly deserved, but in the wider context of the league it was a bit flattering to our overall quality.

I'm so glad that Mbengue and Bindon had that Lyle Taylor in their pocket all game. Thought he was appalling

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 18 Mar 2024 14:42

Hendo
Snowflake Royal

I'm so glad that Mbengue and Bindon had that Lyle Taylor in their pocket all game. Thought he was appalling

He had about two excellent touches when he received the ball without having to run. One led to the far post curler that was just wide and Morro couldn't quite reach I think...

Other than that, he barely broke into a jog and covered almost no ground. Watching him try to run on the two occasions he tried was actively funny.