No votes

Total votes: 62
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Hob Nob Anyone? player of the season 2023/24

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Apr 2024 12:38

Stranded
Pepe the Horseman
Brogue 5 games to go it's that time again, who is your player of the season? vote now.

hobnob only allows 20 options on a poll. So I went to transfermarket.com sorted players by appearances and removed the players who fcuked off in Jan like Abbey Holmes vickers etc. The below list is In order of the number of appearances in all comps.

Completely forgot Vickers existed. Toss up between Wing and Bindon, but Wing edges it.

So had I until reading this post strangely enough. Just had to check his record at Brighton and looks like he has played 7 games for the u21 there - 3 goals, 2 assists.

Anyway, the answer to the question of this thread is Wing. Any other answer is just wrong.

Bindon takes Young PotS.

Currently, not according to the majority, and a bit crazy you think it's so clear cut.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 03 Apr 2024 13:12

Armadillo Roadkill Bit dissapointed the poll has no Ian Royal option. Assume it was an oversight.

Simply hasn't played enough games this season:

Brogue went to transfermarket.com and sorted players by appearances

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Apr 2024 14:30

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Pepe the Horseman Completely forgot Vickers existed. Toss up between Wing and Bindon, but Wing edges it.

So had I until reading this post strangely enough. Just had to check his record at Brighton and looks like he has played 7 games for the u21 there - 3 goals, 2 assists.

Anyway, the answer to the question of this thread is Wing. Any other answer is just wrong.

Bindon takes Young PotS.

Currently, not according to the majority, and a bit crazy you think it's so clear cut.

The voting tends to favour workrate over skill and stats. Bindon has both, so I expect he'll get it, but I think Wing deserves it as he has probably won us the most points (I'm not prepared to check if that's true).

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 03 Apr 2024 16:17

Here are the official EFL League One nominations

EFL League One Manager of the Season

John Mousinho - Portsmouth

Steve Evans - Stevenage

Darren Ferguson - Peterborough United

EFL League One Player of the Season

Harrison Burrows – Peterborough United

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing – Derby County

Marlon Pack – Portsmouth

EFL League One Young Player of the Season

Ronnie Edwards – Peterborough United

Karamoko Dembélé – Blackpool

Charlie Hughes – Wigan Athletic

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 03 Apr 2024 16:36

morganb Here are the official EFL League One nominations

Steve Evans - Stevenage

Marlon Pack – Portsmouth

Never heard of any of them.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 03 Apr 2024 17:45

Snowflake Royal
Clyde1998 I'd have to say Bindon as well. For someone who's still only 19 and in their first season in senior football, he's a player who could easily go on to play in the Premier League. He's incredibly assured, composed, good in the air, fairly strong, able to put a tackle in and reads the game well.

He was obviously completely out of position playing right-back earlier in the season, he has made mistakes this season (although you'd expect that from inexperienced players and Abbey perhaps detracted from Bindon's performances.

If Abbey had remained with us, and continued playing as he was, it would've been very difficult to chose between the two. I think they're two very different sort of centre-backs, with perhaps Abbey's style of play being more noticeable and 'showy' (can't think of the right word) than Bindon's - even if they both seem as effective as each other at being centre-backs. I've certain noticed Bindon more since Abbey's left, although that could also be Bindon developing as a player.

Of our first team regulars, I think he's almost been the most consistent this season. Players like Azeez, Smith and Wing have had periods where they look exceptional, but other periods where they basically do nothing.

Incredible for a player who I don't think we expected to be involved much this season when he joined - we assumed he'd be behind Holmes, McIntyre, Dean and Mbengue at centre-back this season. He's one of the few players (under contract) we've got who'll attract interest in the summer.

I thibk Bindon's a 'better' defender than Abbey. I think Abbey used his pace and strength to get him out of trouble and didn't have to be as good at positioning and reading the game as a result.

Bindon strikes me as one of those players who doesn't have exceptional talent. What he has is exceptional commitment and capacity to learn that leads to him excelling.

I think that's true - using pace and strength tends to stand out in a way good positioning and reading the game doesn't. As you say, Bindon doesn't have exceptional talent, but his mental attributes seem to be where his primary strength is.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Apr 2024 17:59

Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal
Clyde1998 I'd have to say Bindon as well. For someone who's still only 19 and in their first season in senior football, he's a player who could easily go on to play in the Premier League. He's incredibly assured, composed, good in the air, fairly strong, able to put a tackle in and reads the game well.

He was obviously completely out of position playing right-back earlier in the season, he has made mistakes this season (although you'd expect that from inexperienced players and Abbey perhaps detracted from Bindon's performances.

If Abbey had remained with us, and continued playing as he was, it would've been very difficult to chose between the two. I think they're two very different sort of centre-backs, with perhaps Abbey's style of play being more noticeable and 'showy' (can't think of the right word) than Bindon's - even if they both seem as effective as each other at being centre-backs. I've certain noticed Bindon more since Abbey's left, although that could also be Bindon developing as a player.

Of our first team regulars, I think he's almost been the most consistent this season. Players like Azeez, Smith and Wing have had periods where they look exceptional, but other periods where they basically do nothing.

Incredible for a player who I don't think we expected to be involved much this season when he joined - we assumed he'd be behind Holmes, McIntyre, Dean and Mbengue at centre-back this season. He's one of the few players (under contract) we've got who'll attract interest in the summer.

I thibk Bindon's a 'better' defender than Abbey. I think Abbey used his pace and strength to get him out of trouble and didn't have to be as good at positioning and reading the game as a result.

Bindon strikes me as one of those players who doesn't have exceptional talent. What he has is exceptional commitment and capacity to learn that leads to him excelling.

I think that's true - using pace and strength tends to stand out in a way good positioning and reading the game doesn't. As you say, Bindon doesn't have exceptional talent, but his mental attributes seem to be where his primary strength is.

I certainly think he'll be playing above L1 soon and comfortable. I don't think Wing is really up to the Championship, as good as he is in L1.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Apr 2024 18:04

Snowflake Royal
Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal I thibk Bindon's a 'better' defender than Abbey. I think Abbey used his pace and strength to get him out of trouble and didn't have to be as good at positioning and reading the game as a result.

I certainly think he'll be playing above L1 soon and comfortable. I don't think Wing is really up to the Championship, as good as he is in L1.

Bindon is one of them players who always seem to have time on the ball. It’s usually that sort of player who go right to the top. League one is a frantic kick and chase league. When I watch him play he has the touch of the Matt upson about him when he was here for the season.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 03 Apr 2024 20:50

Brogue
Snowflake Royal
Clyde1998 I think that's true - using pace and strength tends to stand out in a way good positioning and reading the game doesn't. As you say, Bindon doesn't have exceptional talent, but his mental attributes seem to be where his primary strength is.

Bindon is one of them players who always seem to have time on the ball. It’s usually that sort of player who go right to the top. League one is a frantic kick and chase league. When I watch him play he has the touch of the Matt upson about him when he was here for the season.

Top players have the mental attributes to create time for themselves on the ball. At the very most, I think we'll have Bindon until the end of next season (as the best case scenario) unless we get promoted next season. He'll certainly advance well beyond League One level.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Apr 2024 08:43

knibbs

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Apr 2024 12:10

Think Wing could play Champ but he’d have to adapt his game. I suspect he quite enjoys being a standout L1 player more than a run of the mill champ midfielder

Bindon definitely has the ability to play champ and maybe higher. Quality player and will only get better

For all our terrible management in recent years we’ve scouted some quality in him and Mbengue especially

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Apr 2024 12:13

Hound Think Wing could play Champ but he’d have to adapt his game. I suspect he quite enjoys being a standout L1 player more than a run of the mill champ midfielder

Bindon definitely has the ability to play champ and maybe higher. Quality player and will only get better

For all our terrible management in recent years we’ve scouted some quality in him and Mbengue especially

Bringing in Bowen, Carey and Dublin in 2022 was very good business, though Dublin has since left. There is a lot of potential at the club but we've been hamstrung by ownership.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Apr 2024 12:54

I find Bindon hilarious just because of how furious I hear people get when he's got the ball at walking pace.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 04 Apr 2024 14:06

tidus_mi2 I find Bindon hilarious just because of how furious I hear people get when he's got the ball at walking pace.

I can see both sides: can see why people get upset but then can see that, if he draws in another player, then there is an easier outlet to a, hopefully, free player.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Apr 2024 15:07

He doesn't do that often. And when he does, it's either to waste time, give us a breather, or force someone to come to him to create space. And often because there's nothing much on.

By contrast, he also does some cracking charges forward 30 yards up the pitch.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 05 Apr 2024 12:04

morganb Here are the official EFL League One nominations

Steve Evans - Stevenage

Marlon Pack – Portsmouth

The EFL love Peterboro don't they? Not surprising really; after all, they are 25 points clear at the top, have set an all time goal scoring and points tally, and 3 of their players are shoo in for England's Euro squad.....

:roll:

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Apr 2024 13:04

Official vote is open and the award will be presented before Blackpool.

Makes a change from last season's gala farce, where Tom Ince joked he didn't want Carroll to score again and overtake him as top scorer. Not like we were in a high stakes relegated battle or anything.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Apr 2024 13:16

WestYorksRoyal Official vote is open and the award will be presented before Blackpool.

Makes a change from last season's gala farce, where Tom Ince joked he didn't want Carroll to score again and overtake him as top scorer. Not like we were in a high stakes relegated battle or anything.

Cheers, voted.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 10 Apr 2024 12:48

Voted for Bindon and after that miraculous goal line clearance last night he should also win Sonko of the Season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2024 13:00

Ark Royal Voted for Bindon and after that miraculous goal line clearance last night he should also win Sonko of the Season.

I think safe to say that after last night, Bindon and Wing aren't going to be losing anyone's votes