MATCHWATCH : Lincoln City (h)

185 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Lincoln City (h)

by blythspartan » 09 Apr 2024 18:15

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
WestYorksRoyal If people are debating it, it can't have been a clear error. Compare it to Derby where even their fans were admitting we'd been mugged.

Agree

Tbh, although bad referee decisions feel rubbish at the time I’d still take them over VAR all day long. The thought of going crazy celebrating a goal to get it chalked off a few minutes later doesn’t fit well with me.

I really have never, and will never, get this attitude.

Just do what happens without VAR - celebrate the goal. The only difference between that and non- VAR goals being checked amongst officials is the time it takes.

You still have goals where the Ref goes and consults their lino and things that get ruled out for offsides/handballs/fouls after a bit of a delay without VAR.

And if there is a VAR check, a lot of the time you get to celebrate the goal a second time when it's confirmed. Get to celebrate a goal from a penalty that you wouldn’t otherwise have got. Or get to celebrate and laugh in the opposition's face because their goal's been ruled out just as much as you get disappointed your own has been ruled out.

VAR = more correct decisions.

I know what you’re saying IR, and I appreciate that VAR = more correct decisions. We’ll probably never have to worry about it, but for me it ruins the flow of the game and sometimes the decisions take way too long.

I find it frustrating when watching games on Sky and on occasions it becomes more about VAR than the game itself. I might feel different watching a game live, and maybe cheering a goal that’s previously been ruled offside will be just as fun.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 09 Apr 2024 18:31

I'm with IR on this: VAR = more correct decisions.

Now, for some reason almost every VAR intervention seems to take for ages in the Premeir League. The Bundelsiga and Ligue 1 seem to get most VAR referrals done in seconds - it's really rare for them to drag on.

We don't need to get rid of VAR, we just need to get better at it.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 09 Apr 2024 18:40

For VAR to be truly accepted, the PL need to start treating their customers - supporters in the ground - as adults, which means showing why a decision has been made. The VAR officials need to remember they are looking for clear and obvious errors which means being able to spot it by looking at the video two or three times from different angles in the space of 30 to 60 seconds. If it takes three or four minutes, it can’t be clear or obvious.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 Apr 2024 18:43

I suspect we may see VAR in the Championship soon enough; try to minimise ref howlers in "£100m+ games". Question is whether we'll be there, as it'll be too expensive for L1

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Apr 2024 19:48

blythspartan
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
Agree

Tbh, although bad referee decisions feel rubbish at the time I’d still take them over VAR all day long. The thought of going crazy celebrating a goal to get it chalked off a few minutes later doesn’t fit well with me.

I really have never, and will never, get this attitude.

Just do what happens without VAR - celebrate the goal. The only difference between that and non- VAR goals being checked amongst officials is the time it takes.

You still have goals where the Ref goes and consults their lino and things that get ruled out for offsides/handballs/fouls after a bit of a delay without VAR.

And if there is a VAR check, a lot of the time you get to celebrate the goal a second time when it's confirmed. Get to celebrate a goal from a penalty that you wouldn’t otherwise have got. Or get to celebrate and laugh in the opposition's face because their goal's been ruled out just as much as you get disappointed your own has been ruled out.

VAR = more correct decisions.

I know what you’re saying IR, and I appreciate that VAR = more correct decisions. We’ll probably never have to worry about it, but for me it ruins the flow of the game and sometimes the decisions take way too long.

I find it frustrating when watching games on Sky and on occasions it becomes more about VAR than the game itself. I might feel different watching a game live, and maybe cheering a goal that’s previously been ruled offside will be just as fun.

Obviously it would be nice if English football could make a fist of trying to implement it not badly.

185 posts