130 posts
Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Barnsley (a)

by Mid Sussex Royal » 14 Apr 2024 09:59

Snowflake Royal
Millsy
Sutekh FT 2-2.

With Port Vale and Cheltenham both losing that means Reading are now 10 (TEN) points clear of the bottom 4. Port Vale (21st) don't have enough games left to be able to reach 50 points and Cheltenham can only do so if they win all 4 games they have left but would have to make a good 20 goal or so swing in the process and hope Reading lose both their last games, therefore, effectively, they can't get above Reading either so I'd say Reading are now 100% safe unless Dai produces another piece of stupidity.

Burton have 3 games left and can get to 52 points so if they lose at home to Cheltenham on Tuesday then Reading will be mathematically safe rather than just "realistically" safe. A Burton win means Reading will need just 1 point from Burton or Blackpool to be mathematical.

I might be getting muddled but I thought we had another 2 points suspended to come off, which knowing Dai isn't unlikely is it?

Only if we make a late payment for something. There's basically max one bill left to pay before the end of the season and the prospective owners have put money into the club secured against Bearwood to pay the bills.

I think the season officially ends 30th June which is when the suspended points charges expire, so my understanding is we also have to pay HMRC etc on time for both May & June as well, quite honestly though we'd stay up even if the -2 was applied as Cheltenham & Vale are in dreadful form.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Apr 2024 10:02

Even if that is the case missing a payment would likely mean the sale has fallen through. So we'll have bigger issues than another 2pts.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2024 11:06

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
Millsy
I might be getting muddled but I thought we had another 2 points suspended to come off, which knowing Dai isn't unlikely is it?

Only if we make a late payment for something. There's basically max one bill left to pay before the end of the season and the prospective owners have put money into the club secured against Bearwood to pay the bills.

I think the season officially ends 30th June which is when the suspended points charges expire, so my understanding is we also have to pay HMRC etc on time for both May & June as well, quite honestly though we'd stay up even if the -2 was applied as Cheltenham & Vale are in dreadful form.

There is no way the FL would apply a points deduction to the current season in June so long after the final game, especially one to change who is relegated. It would be a nightmare to administer

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2024 11:14

What were the general thought on Abrefa?

I thought he had a decent game. A few slips and didn't offer a huge amount going forward, but defended fairly well given Barnsley used the width for space well.

I don't think he's threatening Yiadom's place yet, but worth hanging on to and giving more time?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Apr 2024 11:22

Snowflake Royal What were the general thought on Abrefa?

I thought he had a decent game. A few slips and didn't offer a huge amount going forward, but defended fairly well given Barnsley used the width for space well.

I don't think he's threatening Yiadom's place yet, but worth hanging on to and giving more time?

Fine defensively but definitely can be developed going forwards. There are times when Azeez had the ball and Abrefa could have opened up more space with an overlap, even if he didn't receive the ball. But for all we know perhaps Selles had told him to be disciplined away at Barnsley, particularly without a traditional DM like Craig to cover full back forays forward.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Apr 2024 11:28

Snowflake Royal What were the general thought on Abrefa?

Promising.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 14 Apr 2024 11:40

Royal_jimmy
Jagermesiter1871
Snowflake Royal If either are triggered next season we've got bigger problems to worry about than that.

So if there's a pitch invasion after promotion we could potentially have promotion rescinded, depending on points. Interesting.

Not sure I'd fancy being on the pitch being promoted out of this league. The championship maybe but not here

Then again Jim, we were all on the pitch, back in the day, after watching the Brentford game on the big screen. What a moment that was. Very surreal seeing all our support celebrating up at Griffin Park. Plus I seem to recall that we drew something like the last nine games. Bizarre finish to the season.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 14 Apr 2024 12:07

The Cap
Royal_jimmy
Jagermesiter1871
So if there's a pitch invasion after promotion we could potentially have promotion rescinded, depending on points. Interesting.

Not sure I'd fancy being on the pitch being promoted out of this league. The championship maybe but not here

Then again Jim, we were all on the pitch, back in the day, after watching the Brentford game on the big screen. What a moment that was. Very surreal seeing all our support celebrating up at Griffin Park. Plus I seem to recall that we drew something like the last nine games. Bizarre finish to the season.

I thought the suspended points deduction was only if a game was abandoned again?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2024 12:10

Mid Sussex Royal
The Cap
Royal_jimmy

I thought the suspended points deduction was only if a game was abandoned again?

Pretty sure you're correct

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Apr 2024 13:37

Snowflake Royal
Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal Only if we make a late payment for something. There's basically max one bill left to pay before the end of the season and the prospective owners have put money into the club secured against Bearwood to pay the bills.

There is no way the FL would apply a points deduction to the current season in June so long after the final game, especially one to change who is relegated. It would be a nightmare to administer

Yes, leave that as a precedent for the PL to sort out when Everton & Forest win their appeals.

130 posts