The 24/25 Season of Optimism Thread

mikey_1871

Re: The 24/25 Season of Optimism Thread

by mikey_1871 » 10 Apr 2024 16:16

Would be very happy with a season around/just outside the playoff places, regardless of whether we get in.
Have no expectations of promotion, just want to see us competing at the right end of the table again and hope we can keep things interesting up to the last few games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2024 16:42

Snowball Not sure if this question is right for the optimism thread
but I'd be curious to know what Nobbers think is needed
to make us a top six L1 side.

For one thing, I think we miss too many chances. Fixing that
the easy way (ie buy a great striker) is not that likely in the short term.

I guess we might get lucky with a youngster coming through,
but though we have some quality there do we have players
who are likely to be "prolific" and get 20-plus goals a season?

Weighed against this negative is the fact that the team is young
and players may well improve. Azeez and SpecialK are each
potential break-through stars (but both may go in the summer)...

I like Smith; he's a grafter, but for me he's the hard-working
support man not the game-changer. I know that Azeez, SpecialK
and (especially) Wing can score great goals, but we need (to challenge)
the CONSTANT pressure, as in when a 20-goal striker visits Reading
and, of course, gets the crucial goal... I'm thinking of the freak run
that Blackman had, or Kitson/Doyle, or the great pairing of Hunt
and Long when the pair averaged a goal a game.

I say this because, although I agree we are becoming a team
with character and heart, a team that has fightbackability, I'd
also say we are (or easily could become) a confidence team.

Yesterday, at times it was "the old days" a side KNOWING it
was good, playing with panache and energy.

This EXACT side, with a very good start to next season, could be
playing as it did first-half at Bristol, for MOST games. The extra
goals would carry the team on a wave of confidence.

I think we struggle to control the game in midfield. We're quite a quick front to back side. Noticeable some of the frenetic pace of attack yesterday, when a more composed approach could have helped.

And in attack we've relied too much on individual screamers. It's been a bit dodgy touch pinball at times.

So I'd like to see something like someone a bit more comfortable stroking the ball positively and creatively through midfield in short passes, and maybe carrying forward to.

The latter issue is more a question of Knibbs, Ehib, Azeez and Smith developing their touch and understanding, and us going a bit less direct. Add to that better decisions and better and earlier crossing and it should do the job

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 10 Apr 2024 17:43

This has been my favourite season since we last got promoted to the Premier League. There were a few games where I lost faith in Selles, but I have loved visiting stadiums I hadn’t been to in years.

Until the sale is done I can’t get too optimistic about next season. Potentially, we could be pushing for promotion, but it all depends on Dai finally oxf*rd off.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2024 17:48

blythspartan This has been my favourite season since we last got promoted to the Premier League. There were a few games where I lost faith in Selles, but I have loved visiting stadiums I hadn’t been to in years.

Until the sale is done I can’t get too optimistic about next season. Potentially, we could be pushing for promotion, but it all depends on Dai finally oxf*rd off.

I still don't see how we exist if it doesn't go through.

HMRC and the players have largely been paid through transfer fees, donations from SCL (the mad heroes) and a loan from the prospective owners.

We made about £5m - £6m in transfer fees, we'll struggle to get £3m even if we gut the squad this season. SCL surely can't afford and no one else is going to meet dai's valuation and front us cash if this falls over. And ST sales would crash too.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 10 Apr 2024 17:57

The absolute bestest thing about next season will of course will be our games against Hollywood owned Wrexham.

Imagine if Deadpool himself came to the SCL!!!!! Absolute mania. Would make the last few years all worthwhile.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 10 Apr 2024 18:16

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan This has been my favourite season since we last got promoted to the Premier League. There were a few games where I lost faith in Selles, but I have loved visiting stadiums I hadn’t been to in years.

I still don't see how we exist if it doesn't go through.

HMRC and the players have largely been paid through transfer fees, donations from SCL (the mad heroes) and a loan from the prospective owners.

We made about £5m - £6m in transfer fees, we'll struggle to get £3m even if we gut the squad this season. SCL surely can't afford and no one else is going to meet dai's valuation and front us cash if this falls over. And ST sales would crash too.

I agree.

If Dai changes his mind or the new buyers pull out of the sale we’re done.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Apr 2024 21:20

Snowflake Royal
Snowball Not sure if this question is right for the optimism thread
but I'd be curious to know what Nobbers think is needed
to make us a top six L1 side.

For one thing, I think we miss too many chances. Fixing that
the easy way (ie buy a great striker) is not that likely in the short term.

I guess we might get lucky with a youngster coming through,
but though we have some quality there do we have players
who are likely to be "prolific" and get 20-plus goals a season?

Weighed against this negative is the fact that the team is young
and players may well improve. Azeez and SpecialK are each
potential break-through stars (but both may go in the summer)...

I like Smith; he's a grafter, but for me he's the hard-working
support man not the game-changer. I know that Azeez, SpecialK
and (especially) Wing can score great goals, but we need (to challenge)
the CONSTANT pressure, as in when a 20-goal striker visits Reading
and, of course, gets the crucial goal... I'm thinking of the freak run
that Blackman had, or Kitson/Doyle, or the great pairing of Hunt
and Long when the pair averaged a goal a game.

I say this because, although I agree we are becoming a team
with character and heart, a team that has fightbackability, I'd
also say we are (or easily could become) a confidence team.

Yesterday, at times it was "the old days" a side KNOWING it
was good, playing with panache and energy.

This EXACT side, with a very good start to next season, could be
playing as it did first-half at Bristol, for MOST games. The extra
goals would carry the team on a wave of confidence.

I think we struggle to control the game in midfield. We're quite a quick front to back side. Noticeable some of the frenetic pace of attack yesterday, when a more composed approach could have helped.

And in attack we've relied too much on individual screamers. It's been a bit dodgy touch pinball at times.

So I'd like to see something like someone a bit more comfortable stroking the ball positively and creatively through midfield in short passes, and maybe carrying forward to.

The latter issue is more a question of Knibbs, Ehib, Azeez and Smith developing their touch and understanding, and us going a bit less direct. Add to that better decisions and better and earlier crossing and it should do the job

I agree with this but I decided to only go with one element.

Had we a ruthless, clinical in-form Harry Kane / Kitson / Le Fondre type
or a Hunt-Long partnership, we would have been many places higher

But then so would we if we had an out and out stop-them-playing
shut-the centre rock-solid midfielder or midfield pair like we had
with Leighterwood (sp?) or Laurent-Rhino in their near-perfect start
to Pauno's season.
Last edited by Snowball on 11 Apr 2024 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 10 Apr 2024 21:58

Currently we are the 8th highest scorers in the division on 61 goals. We could finish 7th as we are only one goal behind charlton in the scoring charts, in 7th on 62. For perspective top of the league Pompey have only scored 71 this season and second placed Derby have scored 72.

And I don’t think we need a 20 goal a season striker snowball states when the goals come from all over the pitch like they have been this season. Plus smith has 12 in 31 league games which equates to 19 goals over a 46 game period so technically we have an 20 goal a season striker at the club already. I would say we are fine from an attacking perspective.

As Ian said CM has been the issue this season and controlling midfield in certain games. Need to remember both savage and Craig are in thier first full seasons and will only get better. But I firmly believe Elliott is going to be the partner for wing going forward I think we will be much stronger in the centre of the park next season with him in there.

We will need a LW next season though with Mukairu hopefully going back.

Defence was all over the place at the start of the season. But that looks solid now. Just need a natural LB.

And had we started the season with Pereira in goal instead of dodgy Dave I think we would probably be 5 points better of this season at least.

So in all honesty there is really only a LB and LW required for next season. If we can keep the squad together there is no reason why we couldn’t make a push for the autos especially if all of Pompey Bolton and derby go up.
Last edited by Brogue on 10 Apr 2024 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 10 Apr 2024 22:12

A poor Rotherham side are coming down but whoever joins them are sure to be up there with 5 points separate 8 teams above them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2024 22:31

Brogue Currently we are the 8th highest scorers in the division on 61 goals. We could finish 7th as we are only one goal behind charlton in the scoring charts, in 7th on 62. For perspective top of the league Pompey have only scored 71 this season and second placed Derby have scored 72.

And I don’t think we need a 20 goal a season striker snowball states when the goals come from all over the pitch like they have been this season. Plus smith has 12 in 31 league games which equates to 19 goals over a 46 game period so technically we have an 20 goal a season striker at the club already. I would say we are fine from an attacking perspective.

As Ian said CM has been the issue this season and controlling midfield in certain games. Need to remember both savage and Craig are in thier first full seasons and will only get better. But I firmly believe Elliott is going to be the partner for wing going forward I think we will be much stronger in the centre of the park next season with him in there.

Defence was all over the place at the start of the season. But that looks solid now. Just need a natural LB.

And had we started the season with Pereira in goal instead of dodgy Dave I think we would probably be 5 points better of this season at least.

So in all honesty there is really only a LB and LW required for next season. If we can keep the squad together there is no reason why we couldn’t make a push for the autos especially if all of Pompey Bolton and derby go up.

Thinking about it, I feel we've had a surprising number of players hit 20+ over the last 30 years or so.

Sigurdsson
Long
Doyle (?)
Kitson
Cureton
Butler (?)
Caskey
Morley
Quinn
Lovell(?)
Nogan(?)
Kermorgant(?)

Don't think any did it in more than one season though. Maybe Quinn?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 10 Apr 2024 22:34

Snowflake Royal
Brogue Currently we are the 8th highest scorers in the division on 61 goals. We could finish 7th as we are only one goal behind charlton in the scoring charts, in 7th on 62. For perspective top of the league Pompey have only scored 71 this season and second placed Derby have scored 72.

Thinking about it, I feel we've had a surprising number of players hit 20+ over the last 30 years or so.

Sigurdsson
Long
Doyle (?)
Kitson
Cureton
Butler (?)
Caskey
Morley
Quinn
Lovell(?)
Nogan(?)
Kermorgant(?)

Joao? Edit: no he only got 19

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Apr 2024 22:37

Brogue
Snowflake Royal

Sigurdsson
Long
Doyle (?)
Kitson
Cureton
Butler (?)
Caskey
Morley
Quinn
Lovell(?)
Nogan(?)
Kermorgant(?)

Joao? Edit: no he only got 19

22 including cup, so that would count. If you take out cups I think a fair few fall below.

Gylfi got 4 of 20 in the cup for example.
Long did get 21 in the league, but also 3 in Internationals, 2 in the FA cup and 2 in the POs

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 10 Apr 2024 23:12

windermereROYAL A poor Rotherham side are coming down but whoever joins them are sure to be up there with 5 points separate 8 teams above them.

The annoying thing about Rotherham is, even if they do shit in the Championship, they usually still do well in League One the following season.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 11 Apr 2024 02:26

tidus_mi2
windermereROYAL A poor Rotherham side are coming down but whoever joins them are sure to be up there with 5 points separate 8 teams above them.

The annoying thing about Rotherham is, even if they do shit in the Championship, they usually still do well in League One the following season.

They are the perennial Yo-Yo club however, this season they didn't even make a fist of a fight and are so far adrift at the bottom i feel they probably won't be anything to worry about.
However, Sheff.Weds, Birmingham, Huddersfield, Plymouth, Stoke, Blackburn and Millwall are are totally different kettle of fish and would probably easy command a run at the auto's.

Esteban

by Esteban » 11 Apr 2024 04:54

Crowbar6753
tidus_mi2

They are the perennial Yo-Yo club however, this season they didn't even make a fist of a fight and are so far adrift at the bottom i feel they probably won't be anything to worry about.
However, Sheff.Weds, Birmingham, Huddersfield, Plymouth, Stoke, Blackburn and Millwall are are totally different kettle of fish and would probably easy command a run at the auto's.

Plus Wrexham and Stockport coming up could both have good seasons riding the crest of a wave. Maybe not enough to make automatic spots, but certainly making the league more competitive than it has been this season. Given our transfer embargo, and new owners settling in, reaching the playoffs next season would be a great return. The hangover from Dai's ownership unfortunately won't be over if and when the takeover is finally signed.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2024 07:48

Other than LW I don’t think we have any glaring weaknesses

Not too sure what we’d do if one of the CBs got injured - maybe Dorsett there. Mola’s getting close to the standard of a regular LB so I’d be ok with not signing another one, esp with Carson, Ryan and Dorsett knocking about

Goes without saying it all depends on tbe takeover but I’d be interested to see if we put the faith in the U21 - ie Senga, Akande, Tuma, Wareham, Abrefa, John Clarke, Paul, Stickland - filling those gaps as they do have the same profile as what we need

It’s probably decision time on a few of those. Itd be nice for them to come through but my head tells me we’d prob need to bring in 4-5 strong div1 players to the squad to push for the play offs and not sure we can afford to also run such a strong u21 side.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 11 Apr 2024 08:05

Crowbar6753
tidus_mi2

Aren’t SW a Reading esque shambles? And not all is well at Brum either I thought

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 11 Apr 2024 08:09

IF the sale goes ahead just to have a next season really is what’s to look forward to.

Then hopefully we can take positive steps forward and get back onto solid ground. If the sale goes ahead, even though I’m not expediting it, I’d LOVE. a season where we are in and around the playoffs even if we don’t get in them I think just to give some hope for upcoming seasons that we can and will actually turn the corner to get back into the championship

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Apr 2024 08:18

We're all allowing ourselves to think several steps ahead with the takeover, myself included. We're still in a very dangerous situation.

If it goes through it's definitely good news, but I hope the new guys are sensible. We have a team and set of footballing operations that are already doing fine, so hopefully they wouldn't mess around with their own manager, coaching staff, DoF etc.,

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Apr 2024 08:26

WestYorksRoyal We're all allowing ourselves to think several steps ahead with the takeover, myself included. We're still in a very dangerous situation.

If it goes through it's definitely good news, but I hope the new guys are sensible. We have a team and set of footballing operations that are already doing fine, so hopefully they wouldn't mess around with their own manager, coaching staff, DoF etc.,

Tbf I don’t think there is anyone who assumes the takeover is a done deal atm

But it gets a bit dull saying ‘if the takeover happens’ before every post…