135 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Burton Albion (h)

by Sutekh » 16 Apr 2024 21:56

When : Saturday April 20 2024, 3pm
Where : Pirelli Stadium, Princess Way, Burton upon Trent, DE13 0BH
Capacity 6,912

First of the pre-season friendlies next as super safe Reading travel to Derbyshire to take on the might of Burton Albion in a game that surely has to be better than the ultra dreary 0-0 earlier in the season.

Burton are still fighting to avoid the drop and anything other than a win in this game will more or less relegate them depending on results elsewhere, so expect a team right up for it and tearing into Reading from the off. After settling into a lower mid table position for much of the season, 2024 has brought Burton much trouble and the current run of 1 win in 12 has spiralled them into anxious looks at the botton four.

The issue in particular has been home form as the Brewers haven't managed a home point since doing Charlton 2-0 on 20th January, since then the record has been P8 W0 D0 L8 F3 A17 - so the sort of thing that usually attracts a visit from AFC Charity then!

The top scorer for Burton has notched 5 goals so far but there's 3 players on that figure; Beryly Lubala, Joe Powell and Mark Helm - a number of other goals have been scored by defenders so giving away set pieces probably isn't such a good idea. However they do struggle to score (35 so far), with only Shrewsbury having scored fewer (33) and the same number as Carlisle so if Reading can get their defence marshalled properly there should be a decent chance of a 5th away win for the Royals.

Yiadom is a doubt with injury but pretty much the rest of the squad should be available. Given the fact that there is something riding on the game for the teams fighting against relegation I would be playing the strongest side possible and not experimenting with youngsters or formations etc.

Saturday's games for the bottom clubs in L1

Bolton v Port Vale
Burton v Reading
Cambridge v Derby
Carlisle v Wycombe
Charlton v Shrewsbury
Cheltenham v Lincoln
Orient v Fleetwood

Referee

Scott Oldham

Previously

03 Feb 24 > Oxford United 1-1 Reading
21 Oct 23 > Charlton Athletic 4-0 Reading
07 Apr 23 > Reading 1-1 Birmingham City

History

This is third trip to the Pirelli and so far Reading have managed to win on each of the previous visits scoring at least 3 on both occasions so there is something to live up to in this fixture.

How to follow the game
  1. Ticket yourself, be brave and travel
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: MATCHWATCH : Burton Albion (h)

by Stranded » 17 Apr 2024 08:16

If the team are not on the beach this should be a comfortable 2-0 win. We will score, so just need to defend well and we should win - if we get ahead early and news filters through of Cheltenham winning, they will panic and we should be able to pick them off.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Apr 2024 08:34

Would like to see a relatively strong team to maintain the integrity of the competition for Vale and Cheltenham, but a few changes.

CBC
Yiadom, Bindon, Dorsett, Mola
Wing, Elliott
Azeez, Knibbs, Ehibhatiomhan
Smith

Button, Mbengue, Carson, Senga, Craig, Wareham, Camara

Would like to see Senga and Camara get at least 20 minutes.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 17 Apr 2024 12:01

Stranded If the team are not on the beach this should be a comfortable 2-0 win. We will score, so just need to defend well and we should win - if we get ahead early and news filters through of Cheltenham winning, they will panic and we should be able to pick them off.

Watched Burton v Cheltenham last night on iFollow.

Cheltenham are absolutely dire at the moment (seven points from the last 36) but, by crikey, Burton are an abomination. A huge relegation 6-pointer and they offered absolutely nothing.

So, a nailed on home win then...........

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Apr 2024 12:06

Jerry St Clair
Stranded If the team are not on the beach this should be a comfortable 2-0 win. We will score, so just need to defend well and we should win - if we get ahead early and news filters through of Cheltenham winning, they will panic and we should be able to pick them off.

Watched Burton v Cheltenham last night on iFollow.

Cheltenham are absolutely dire at the moment (seven points from the last 36) but, by crikey, Burton are an abomination. A huge relegation 6-pointer and they offered absolutely nothing.

So, a nailed on home win then...........

Given they have lost 8 in a row at home only scoring 3 in that time, it is bound to be a 2-0 home win.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Apr 2024 12:23

I knew they were bad, the table doesn't lie. But 8 straight defeats at home - fcuk me, that must be a club record. And it includes Carlisle and Cheltenham too.

I think we'll win. We're en route to ditching our Charity FC tendencies. Rovers didn't break their scoring duck against us, for starters.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Apr 2024 12:52

There’s something I really dislike about Burton. Not really justified as they are a solid enough club. Think it goes back to Stam 1-2 game in front of a full house, just brings back awful memories

Anyway yes they are dire and we should win

Wouldn’t change too much, no point playing Holmes or Mukairu and that’s about the extent of how much thought I’m putting into this game

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Apr 2024 13:07

Judging by their home attendances, there's probably going to be a similar amount, maybe even more away fans than home fans.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 Apr 2024 13:11

Hound There’s something I really dislike about Burton. Not really justified as they are a solid enough club. Think it goes back to Stam 1-2 game in front of a full house, just brings back awful memories

Probably the funniest goal we've ever conceded btw

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Apr 2024 13:30

Hound There’s something I really dislike about Burton. Not really justified as they are a solid enough club. Think it goes back to Stam 1-2 game in front of a full house, just brings back awful memories

Wouldn’t change too much, no point playing Holmes or Mukairu and that’s about the extent of how much thought I’m putting into this game

To be fair to Burton, we could have played the Tilehurst RBL U5 blind 3 legged labrador team that day and lost.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Apr 2024 13:30

genome

Off the top of my head, Mannone booting a clearance into Moore was it? Something terrible like that

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Apr 2024 13:34

Hound
genome

Off the top of my head, Mannone booting a clearance into Moore was it? Something terrible like that

Close.

"Enjoy" from 1m30.

First goal was a shocker as well - and our equaliser was hardly a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPPIxr-DGuc

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Apr 2024 13:37

Stranded

To be fair to Burton, we could have played the Tilehurst RBL U5 blind 3 legged labrador team that day and lost.

Didn't Stam blame the fans for the performance?

Edit: Watching the video back you can hear a pin drop in the highlights. Dai's malaise started within 6 months.
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 17 Apr 2024 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Apr 2024 13:39

genome

Sure there must be worse ones than that (the Darlington double back in 1985/86 perhaps?)? Another thread poll needed maybe....

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 17 Apr 2024 13:42

Sutekh
genome

Sure there must be worse ones than that (the Darlington double back in 1985/86 perhaps?)? Another thread poll needed maybe....

Rougier and Hunter vs Walsall.

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 17 Apr 2024 13:43

WestYorksRoyal
Sutekh
genome

Rougier and Hunter vs Walsall.

This gets my vote.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Apr 2024 14:21

Stranded
Hound
genome

Close.

"Enjoy" from 1m30.

First goal was a shocker as well - and our equaliser was hardly a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPPIxr-DGuc

Those highlights are depressing. One of ours being a through ball which rolls straight through to an unchallenged keeper

Their winner was dreadful, every bit as bad as I remember. Mannone’s attempt to save was pathetic

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 17 Apr 2024 14:24

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded

Didn't Stam blame the fans for the performance?

Edit: Watching the video back you can hear a pin drop in the highlights. Dai's malaise started within 6 months.

Not sure that was directly Dai at that stage, merely the style of play under Stam. He got away with it the previous season as it was getting results (Al-Habsi and Kermorgant would bail us out).

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 17 Apr 2024 15:21

Why in the subject does it say (h) when it's away?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 17 Apr 2024 16:02

Sutekh
genome

Cheltenham’s second goal this season was clown car too (away draw).

135 posts