Goalkeepers

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Goalkeepers

by Brogue » 30 Apr 2024 09:57

my main gripe with button is his inability to command his box. When was the last time you saw him come through a crowd of players and take a catch in the box relieving pressure on our defence? I don't think he's ever done it, I can't remember a single instance.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 30 Apr 2024 12:28

I just think that the team who finished this season seemed to solidify with each other for survival and the younger demographic of the team made it easy for Pereira to come in and settle and form a bond with the team and also with the fans
Reminds me of Federici when he came into the team

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 30 Apr 2024 12:52

Brogue my main gripe with button is his inability to command his box. When was the last time you saw him come through a crowd of players and take a catch in the box relieving pressure on our defence? I don't think he's ever done it, I can't remember a single instance.

Yep, this for me too. Reminds me of the days when Sal Bibbo was the coach and you often felt there was elastic tied between the keeper and posts. Button rarely came away from his line, the number of balls that landed in the box and he didn't deal with was huge.

For me his credibility was irretrievably damaged in the run of games early October. He hadn't looked brilliant from the season-start, but stood right behind him at Northampton and he had a shocker. You could really see his limitations. Followed it up with a really poor game at Leyton Orient.

Think character in a keeper is such a key aspect. Lumley wasn't without fault, but he did seem to inspire confidence in his defence, and he certainly seemed to have something about him. Pereira seems more in that camp, than the more subdued yet effectiveness that Al-Habsi had. Button seems more like AAH, but without the good bits. IMHO