Neil Warnock interview in Chronicle

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Neil Warnock interview in Chronicle

by Mid Sussex Royal » 02 May 2024 19:20

This is a must read - really decent bloke and nothing but respect for Reading fans despite all the stick he got.

Only on Twitter atm for those with access and can't link it some reason.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Neil Warnock interview in Chronicle

by Clyde1998 » 02 May 2024 19:25

Link should be here.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 06 May 2024 13:56

The headline is mildly amusing "Reading FC nemesis recounts flash points of yesteryear" yet makes no reference to the Asaba Mackie spat in 2002 which was probably the biggest flash point of the lot.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 May 2024 15:37

I would have taken him over Ince last season. We might still have been a Championship club and attracted more buyers. Shame, he always speaks highly of us even after past battles we have had.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 15 May 2024 11:49

Ascotexgunner I would have taken him over Ince last season. We might still have been a Championship club and attracted more buyers. Shame, he always speaks highly of us even after past battles we have had.

I think he would have kept us up, just.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 May 2024 13:48

No respect for the guy.

Karacan’s injury (which massively hobbled his career) was not a coincidence.

Tetek’s injury (which seems to have effectively ended his career) was not a coincidence.

He was a thug of a manager who had no respect for opposing players or officials. That’s the real Warnock, not the guy who turns around and says reasonable things in interviews or in his columns.

Reading fans defending Warnock have the air of British people defending Rommel. Judge him by his actions, not what he says after the fact to justify himself.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 May 2024 17:06

SCIAG No respect for the guy.

Tetek’s injury (which seems to have effectively ended his career) was not a coincidence.

He was a thug of a manager who had no respect for opposing players or officials. That’s the real Warnock, not the guy who turns around and says reasonable things in interviews or in his columns.

Reading fans defending Warnock have the air of British people defending Rommel. Judge him by his actions, not what he says after the fact to justify himself.

I think you'll find Rommel was a reasonably decent bloke and well respected by the allies.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 May 2024 17:15

At least oneof Karacan's nasty injuries against Leeds was semi self-inflicted through a poor challenge. Second one I think.

Warnock's always wanted his players to be physical and nasty, but I don’t think you can blame him for every psycho challenge.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 May 2024 17:16

Sutekh

I think you'll find Rommel was a reasonably decent bloke and well respected by the allies.

Apart from being a Nazi of course.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 May 2024 17:21

Norfolk Royal
Sutekh

In Rommel's case that is debatable in some ways, given he was one of the leading players in the plot to kill Hitler in 1944.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 May 2024 17:49

Sutekh
Norfolk Royal
Sutekh

In Rommel's case that is debatable in some ways, given he was one of the leading players in the plot to kill Hitler in 1944.

He tried to kill my grandad so I’m short on ‘he was a nice bloke really’ sympathy.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 May 2024 19:15

Wasn't McDermott the Leeds manager when Karacan did his knee ligaments?

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 15 May 2024 19:42

Dirk Gently

If that was the game where Pugh and Brown both put horrendous tackles in on him then no it was definitely Warnock. McDermott was Reading manager at the time. If I remember correctly Le Fondre scored twice in a 2-0 win.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 15 May 2024 20:28

Dirk Gently is right.

The game in the promotion season was the one in which Warnock's Leeds set about Jem, and others, and he got his ankle broken.

Two seasons later, he lost the ball and made a desperate lunge to stop the break, in doing so absolutely marmalising his knee. Brian Mac was Leeds manager and that was the injury which really did him in.

*had to edit as I got some names mixed up.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 May 2024 08:56

And Colin has come out of retirement already, to take up an advisory role at Torquay United.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 16 May 2024 11:30

I liked Warnock and would have loved to see him manage us for a bit. How record spoke for itself regardless of any bad blood.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 May 2024 15:25

Sutekh

Oddly enough, you’ve demonstrated exactly the point I was trying to make!

Rommel was a dyed-in-the-wool Nazi. There’s no evidence he had any knowledge of the 20 July plot (which led to 5,000 executions, a truly implausible number of genuine plotters). The myth that Rommel and the Wehrmacht were “clean” was put about by the British after the war to justify the rearmament of West Germany as a bulwark against the Soviets.

Now admittedly that doesn’t have much of a parallel to Warnock, because there’s no reason for Reading fans to exaggerate the positive traits of a guy who, aside from his first spell at Crystal Palace, mostly set his teams up to nobble their opponents and got himself sent from the touch line regularly for bad behaviour. It isn’t like we need to re-arm Leeds United to stop Swindon invading Lambourn.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 May 2024 15:31

LightwaterRoyal
Dirk Gently

If that was the game where Pugh and Brown both put horrendous tackles in on him then no it was definitely Warnock. McDermott was Reading manager at the time. If I remember correctly Le Fondre scored twice in a 2-0 win.

Yep that’s the one I was talking about, not his later, even worse injury against Leeds which was a coincidence.

Before that first injury Jem had played 77 league games in two years. Afterwards he was constantly struggling for fitness. Only played 36 more league games for us in over three years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 May 2024 17:26

SCIAG
LightwaterRoyal
Dirk Gently

Yep that’s the one I was talking about, not his later, even worse injury against Leeds which was a coincidence.

Before that first injury Jem had played 77 league games in two years. Afterwards he was constantly struggling for fitness. Only played 36 more league games for us in over three years.

Of course he didn't play a lot after that, he got himself crippled again.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 16 May 2024 17:28

From memory wasn’t Jem’s first nasty injury against Leeds at home caused by a scissor tackle by Michael Brown that trapped his leg and then Brown put his weight on Jem’s leg. It was considered a nasty and agricultural tackle 15-20 years ago, now outlawed?