A message from BBC Radio Berkshire

301 posts
Scrappy

by Scrappy » 24 Jul 2006 14:00

We need to raise £35K in order for BBC Berks to get the coverage. Everyone chip in a couple of quid, and it's possible.

ellpryjon

by ellpryjon » 24 Jul 2006 14:01

Adrian's Fool I quite like the idea of fundraising - I know it probably should be against our principles to give in to the £££-grabbing ways of the "new" RFC, but if we could get a fighting fund off the ground it would give this subject lots of publicity and also give JM something to think about.

And never mind the "legally binding" contract with 107 - if there is one, I'm sure JM can figure a way to get out of it.

When the Evening Post put it to Mr Madejski that half a million listeners would lose out on hearing live matches, he said: “Okay, tell them to send me a pound each and I’ll give it [the rights] back to Radio Berkshire

there is a way :D

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Jul 2006 14:09

Maybe the fact that JM has a vested interest in the success of 107 FM has something to do with the decision...........

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Jul 2006 14:12

Wot?

No Shades or iPhil protest T shirts available yet?

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 24 Jul 2006 15:03

This is a real shame, and whilst Reading 107 may be the big winners, fans of RFC are the real losers. I cannot attend many games so have relied upon BBC Radio Berks for their coverage of the games. I am just on the edge of their area and don't stand a chance of getting 107 although when I have been near Reading working and picked it up I found 107's coverage to be the best advert for BBC Radio Berks as it was truly dreadful.

Shame on you RFC, it must also be about the fans.

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 24 Jul 2006 15:05

JM sounds like a man desperately trying to defend the indefensible. He also sounds uncommonly rattled.

And are we to surmise from all this that Reading 107 (or whatever the hell they call themselves) have bid £100,000 for these rights because I don't remember reading anywhere that they have coughed up this amount? This being the same radio station that made a loss of £274,000 on a turnover of £717,000 in the year up to September 2004!

Yahoops

by Yahoops » 24 Jul 2006 15:05

Lower West Maybe the fact that JM has a vested interest in the success of 107 FM has something to do with the decision...........

Isn't that blindingly obvious?

If JM was as refreshingly straight as some people believe then why did he indicate his mind would be changed by money?

If it was about money and the best interests of Reading FC then the Radio Berks offer would have been accepted.

More income for the club, more PR for the club, happier fans - win, win, win.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 24 Jul 2006 15:25

I meant to add to my last comment that maybe he misjudged the result of this action.

Whatever the pros and cons unless 107FM extend their coverage then a good number of fans will not hear commentary on away games. I only live 17 miles away from the Madstad and reception of 107FM is non existant. If 107FM have got the media rights for the comming year then coverage must be extended via the internet or dab.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Jul 2006 16:02

Devils Advocate time.

Have BBC Berks screwed up by not selling themselves strongly enough? Money isn't everything, even to a shrewd businessman like JM.

Wider audiences, A willingness to accept non exclusive rights and even offering JM a weekly soapbox to get his views accross.

Smillie's Dive

by Smillie's Dive » 24 Jul 2006 16:03

Why don't we send him a pound coin each?

It would make a statement if a few hundred people did that.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 24 Jul 2006 16:13

The 4 o'clock sports bulletin on Berks has just announced that Stephen Hunt has signed a new contract and that the squad numbers have just been announced, with Kevin Doyle taking the number nine shirt.

After all that work we've put in....

:roll:

bracknell loyal royal!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bracknell loyal royal! » 24 Jul 2006 16:18

That Friday Feeling The 4 o'clock sports bulletin on Berks has just announced that Stephen Hunt has signed a new contract and that the squad numbers have just been announced, with Kevin Doyle taking the number nine shirt.

After all that work we've put in....

:roll:

:shock:

thefruits

by thefruits » 24 Jul 2006 16:20

Somehow I wasn't expecting that they would be allowed to start the bulletin with...

'The loyal Reading fans on Hobnob have been causing the Reading Chairman JM to get all hot and bothered over his disgraceful decision to stop 1/2 a million loyal Reading fans listening to their preferred commentary (BBC RB of course) over the forthcoming Premiership season. Breaking news .. the petition is accelerating towards 1000 signatures.. make sure you don't miss out'

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 24 Jul 2006 16:20

Smillie's Dive Why don't we send him a pound coin each?

It would make a statement if a few hundred people did that.

I'll quite happily send him my pound

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 24 Jul 2006 16:25

thefruits Somehow I wasn't expecting that they would be allowed to start the bulletin with...

'The loyal Reading fans on Hobnob have been causing the Reading Chairman JM to get all hot and bothered over his disgraceful decision to stop 1/2 a million loyal Reading fans listening to their preferred commentary (BBC RB of course) over the forthcoming Premiership season. Breaking news .. the petition is accelerating towards 1000 signatures.. make sure you don't miss out'

I've signed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jul 2006 16:29

thefruits Somehow I wasn't expecting that they would be allowed to start the bulletin with...

Think the point is that they were reporting two week old news about RFC.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 24 Jul 2006 16:52

This is truly quite shabby.
I can only add to the general consensus that this is bad for all fans alike.

Does 107 reach Tadley?
If not it's balls up for my family.
Then you've got the old and infirm, the young who can't travel, non season ticket holders and more that won't be able to tune in.

For what? £35k.

I can just see fans falling by the wayside when our profile has been improving over the last few years. You get loads of RFC shirts in Tadley these days being worn by old and, more importantly, young fans.

I think my Mum will be 'writing a letter'

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 24 Jul 2006 17:57

Looks like RFC have blinked first:

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~871744,00.html

Looks like a little bit of fan power can work wonders!

Following the recent announcement regarding radio commentary for the 2006/7 Premiership season, the Club has released the following statement:

'We are aware that some supporters are unhappy with the announcement that BBC Radio Berkshire has decided not to pay the live commentary fee that we requested for the forthcoming Premiership season.

'We believe the commentary fee has been set at a fair level for Premiership football, especially for a radio station that only has one professional club within its broadcast area.

'However, we are prepared to meet BBC Radio Berkshire in the middle on the figures that have been quoted in the media, and we hope that they will reconsider their offer so that these ongoing discussions can reach a mutually satisfactory conclusion.'

Rhys The Royal

by Rhys The Royal » 24 Jul 2006 18:01

Platypuss Looks like RFC have blinked first:

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10306~871744,00.html

Looks like a little bit of fan power can work wonders!

Following the recent announcement regarding radio commentary for the 2006/7 Premiership season, the Club has released the following statement:

'We are aware that some supporters are unhappy with the announcement that BBC Radio Berkshire has decided not to pay the live commentary fee that we requested for the forthcoming Premiership season.

'We believe the commentary fee has been set at a fair level for Premiership football, especially for a radio station that only has one professional club within its broadcast area.

'However, we are prepared to meet BBC Radio Berkshire in the middle on the figures that have been quoted in the media, and we hope that they will reconsider their offer so that these ongoing discussions can reach a mutually satisfactory conclusion.'

Im sure BBC Berkshire will sort something out now, after seeing the support they have got from everyone. Looks like Tim and Joel will be back for another season! :D

CocoPops

by CocoPops » 24 Jul 2006 18:09

Maybe a bit early, but signs are good for fan power! :)

301 posts