Doing A Reading

Duraroyal

Doing A Reading

by Duraroyal » 04 Aug 2006 09:54

I heard a trailer for the Chanpionship on 5Live this morning. It was asking who would go up, who is for the drop, can Brum make a swift return etc etc etc and

CAN ANYONE DO A READING ?

Praise eindeed and maybe the start of a lot more exposure in the press and on the radio.

C'mon URZ :D :D :D :D :D

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Doing A Reading

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Aug 2006 10:09

Duraroyal I heard a trailer for the Chanpionship on 5Live this morning. It was asking who would go up, who is for the drop, can Brum make a swift return etc etc etc and

Praise eindeed and maybe the start of a lot more exposure in the press and on the radio.

8)

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 04 Aug 2006 10:14

To 'do a Reading', teams would need to come close to, or surpass our performance of last seaon, without spending untold millions on new signings and wages, but rather by relying on dedicated, skillful and motivated players, team spirit, fitness and astute management.

The Championship is a hard league, there are several ambitious and free spending sides in contention for honours. IMO this makes our success of last year all the more creditworthy. However, are West Brom, Birmingham or Sunderland any better overall than we were? Somehow I doubt it, but regardless of the outcome in the 'Fizzy Pop League' it is clear that we have set the standard for others to aspire to.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 04 Aug 2006 11:04

bobby m's syrup To 'do a Reading', teams would need to come close to, or surpass our performance of last seaon, without spending untold millions on new signings and wages, but rather by relying on dedicated, skillful and motivated players, team spirit, fitness and astute management.

The Championship is a hard league, there are several ambitious and free spending sides in contention for honours. IMO this makes our success of last year all the more creditworthy. However, are West Brom, Birmingham or Sunderland any better overall than we were? Somehow I doubt it, but regardless of the outcome in the 'Fizzy Pop League' it is clear that we have set the standard for others to aspire to.

Post of the day,
Grounds: Made me Tingly inside!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Aug 2006 13:33

I don't think anyone will ever dominate the Championship again to the extent that we did last year - as this is one of the most competitive leagues there is, the extend of our domaination is even more remarkable.

It really hit me as I was doing some work last last season looking at the Altrincham deduction of 18 points - when I realised that we could have been deducted 18 points and we would have still been promoted by 7 points!!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Aug 2006 14:15

we were lucky in that we had Sheffield pushing us for so long and that Leeds and Watford were pushing them. that set of circumstances is unlikely to turn up very often again.

It's not just about being so much more confident and better than anyone else, it's about also needing to keep winning to ensure you stay at the top of the pile.

bear in mind without Little's injury, or possibly Lita's we probably would have got more points. for a while we looked quite capable of 110. that means it is doable.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 04 Aug 2006 14:27

I heard the "Can anyone do a Reading" on the radio while driving and then shouted "URZ" :lol:

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 04 Aug 2006 14:30

Dirk Gently I don't think anyone will ever dominate the Championship again to the extent that we did last year - as this is one of the most competitive leagues there is, the extend of our domaination is even more remarkable.

Not belittling our achivement, but how many Mackems do you think said that in 98/99?

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 04 Aug 2006 14:35

Ian Royal we were lucky in that we had Sheffield pushing us for so long and that Leeds and Watford were pushing them. that set of circumstances is unlikely to turn up very often again.

Do you think that United really were pushing us, though? Leaving aside whether or not the team ever really did look at league tables, I got the impression throughout the second half of the season that we were just getting on with our own thing. For all that Warnock and various clubs' fans tried to drag us into the mire, I always felt that the team was very unruffled, and working to an agenda that was set by us, not by the league.

This, I think, is something that makes Coppell a good manager. He has been criticised for being unemotional, but it does allow him to stay detached and objective. I like the fact that he just concentrated on each game, and each opponent, and on achiving a certain goal against each, without reference to the performance of other teams. Compare that to Colin, who I think really did get ruffled by Leeds and co, dragging down United's performances with him.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Aug 2006 14:55

rabidbee
Dirk Gently I don't think anyone will ever dominate the Championship again to the extent that we did last year - as this is one of the most competitive leagues there is, the extend of our domaination is even more remarkable.

Not belittling our achivement, but how many Mackems do you think said that in 98/99?

We took the achievement a fair bit further though, didn't we?

Each season people go on about someone beating our consecutive wins record but we also took that one so far that no ones got within touching distance.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 04 Aug 2006 15:09

RoyalBlue We took the achievement a fair bit further though, didn't we?

Well, one point further. I think if we'd got 110 points or more I'd be inclined to agree that it would last a long time, but who knows. Did anyone ever think that a top flight team could go unbeaten for more than a season?

midlandadie

by midlandadie » 04 Aug 2006 19:31

i have been asking all the fans i work with who support teams in the coca cola midland league!lol! wheather they will do a reading next year and not even one has said yes!
i think our record will stand for a fair few years. the championship has too many strong teams in to do what we did.

Cookie

by Cookie » 04 Aug 2006 20:37

rabidbee

Oh yes you are!

playoffs or layoffs

by playoffs or layoffs » 04 Aug 2006 21:20

midlandadie i have been asking all the fans i work with who support teams in the coca cola midland league!lol! wheather they will do a reading next year and not even one has said yes!
i think our record will stand for a fair few years. the championship has too many strong teams in to do what we did.

How many Reading fans said that we'd do a Sunderland (98/99) at the start of last season, though?

And last year's CCC was also initially considered to be a tough one, compared to the year before. Don't forget Saints had just come down and were going to bounce straight back up :lol:

Although anything is possible, when some team gets 138 points in the CCC, then I'll say no one can better it.

r.e. the unbeaten run, Preston got close last season with 25 IIRC, even with a poor start. Reading were outstanding, but can still be bettered.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 04 Aug 2006 22:04

So, does this mean that we had an easy league then? With no premiership quality teams?

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 04 Aug 2006 22:12

Just think, every team that loses tomorrow can say "Reading lost their first game last season and look what happened to them!" :lol:

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 04 Aug 2006 23:03

ayjaydee Just think, every team that loses tomorrow can say "Reading lost their first game last season and look what happened to them!" :lol:

LOL

And how many could look back on here and read what they posted this time last year amd not blush!

The past season was remarkable, the stuff of fantasies, and to reach the top flight for the first time in 135 years is a record few clubs will ever match. The style and teamwork that took us into the record books will be envied and teams will try to emulate it for years to come.

I am pretty sure all Reading fans, new and old will enjoy every second of the agony this year. Next year we will be discussing how unlikely Sir Steve is to lead us into Europe.

midlandadie

by midlandadie » 05 Aug 2006 14:01

playoffs or layoffs
midlandadie i have been asking all the fans i work with who support teams in the coca cola midland league!lol! wheather they will do a reading next year and not even one has said yes!

How many Reading fans said that we'd do a Sunderland (98/99) at the start of last season, though?

And last year's CCC was also initially considered to be a tough one, compared to the year before. Don't forget Saints had just come down and were going to bounce straight back up :lol:

Although anything is possible, when some team gets 138 points in the CCC, then I'll say no one can better it.

r.e. the unbeaten run, Preston got close last season with 25 IIRC, even with a poor start. Reading were outstanding, but can still be bettered.

but it wont be bettered for a long time!

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 05 Aug 2006 18:11

R5 Live post-match was full of references of the imporatnce to teams like Leeds, Brum making a good start - as Reading were so fast out of the blocks and never looked back......... except of course we lost the first game :wink:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Doing A Reading

by Millsy » 05 Aug 2006 18:35

Duraroyal I heard a trailer for the Chanpionship on 5Live this morning. It was asking who would go up, who is for the drop, can Brum make a swift return etc etc etc and

Let's not get carried away, all we did is to get promotion.

It's like we totally took the piss out of the division, broke loads of records, got the highest points ever in the country, and ended up being the best team ever to play outside the top flight.

Oh.