Disappointed by the close season

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Aug 2006 14:30

Schards#2 Just checked our points total and, whilst I would have had enough for the first tranche of Villa tickets, my wife would have been 5 points short had we not bought the Feyernoord tickets.

Which rather illustrates my point.

Yeah, I have 547 I think and I won't be buying a Feyenoord ticket. So I guess it does make a difference, not that I particularly care.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Aug 2006 14:32

Schards#2 Just checked our points total and, whilst I would have had enough for the first tranche of Villa tickets, my wife would have been 5 points short had we not bought the Feyernoord tickets.

Which rather illustrates my point.

Or just shows that you've been to more games that RL.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 08 Aug 2006 15:46

East Stand Ste why do u get less points for travelling away?!....its should be more surely!!

Because the club wants to reward its frequent customers, just like Tesco and Morrisons. It doesn't make money on the away tickets. This isn;t about loyalty to the team, but loyalty (and worth) to the brand.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Aug 2006 16:04

rabidbee
East Stand Ste why do u get less points for travelling away?!....its should be more surely!!

Because the club wants to reward its frequent customers, just like Tesco and Morrisons. It doesn't make money on the away tickets. This isn;t about loyalty to the team, but loyalty (and worth) to the brand.

Which is why the points system obviously isn't the fairest way to allocate tickets for games any more.

If the club think that a friendly game is worthy of points then they should be consistant and allocate points for the away games as well.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Aug 2006 16:08

Hoop Blah
rabidbee

Which is why the points system obviously isn't the fairest way to allocate tickets for games any more.

If the club think that a friendly game is worthy of points then they should be consistant and allocate points for the away games as well.

They do allocate points for away games in line with the amount of money they receive.

The reason they have offered so many points for this game is that friendlies aren't attractive (regardless of opposition), it's at the time of year that there is a lot of other things competing for peoples time and as it's week before the season proper, the game may seem even less attractive.

It is also £16 that the club wouldn't have got if there were no game so they have chosen to reward those who are going significantly.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Aug 2006 16:17

Stranded They do allocate points for away games in line with the amount of money they receive.

The reason they have offered so many points for this game is that friendlies aren't attractive (regardless of opposition), it's at the time of year that there is a lot of other things competing for peoples time and as it's week before the season proper, the game may seem even less attractive.

It is also £16 that the club wouldn't have got if there were no game so they have chosen to reward those who are going significantly.

I fully appreciate why they do it the way they do BUT that doesn't mean it's a fair way of allocating tickets or that it's evolved into something beyond what they sold it as when it was implemented.

The club set the system up on the premise of it being used to ensure the more loyal fans got first dibs on tickets for the high demand games. The system no longer does this as the club have expanded it to become a revenue generating tool.

This is exactly the type of thing that the thread is highlighting, the club is evolving in a way that I, and others it seems, don't like and it's becoming more and more a money grabbing machine as opposed to a football club which was reasonably close to it's fans base.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 08 Aug 2006 16:22

Hoop Blah The club set the system up on the premise of it being used to ensure the more loyal fans got first dibs on tickets for the high demand games. The system no longer does this as the club have expanded it to become a revenue generating tool.

This is exactly the type of thing that the thread is highlighting, the club is evolving in a way that I, and others it seems, don't like and it's becoming more and more a money grabbing machine as opposed to a football club which was reasonably close to it's fans base.

To which, the club can reply that the more loyal fans will go to all the home games (indeed presumably even have an ST) and to as many away games as possible, and so naturally will have more points than most. I don't see that there is a problem with it, myself. AND that is despite being an exile, who until buying a HST last December generally went to more away games than home games, because there were so many games in the north-west. Therefore, I only have 320-odd points (having renewed my ST), so I thoroughly expect to have trouble going to my "local" match at Old Trafford.

Still, I don't see what else the club can do, frankly. Nor am I persuaded that it is an unfair system. We are all competing on a level-playing field. New fans may gain points at a faster rate than established fans, but established fans are already beginning from a good head-start.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 08 Aug 2006 16:26

Hoop Blah's last two paragraphs sum up the concerns many are voicing perfectly.

They are reasonable concerns and deserve more of a response than "get behind the club and stop moaning - UURRRZZZ"

It doesn't mean we are not 100% behind the team/club, just the we are concerned with the direction it's going.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Aug 2006 16:30

rabidbee To which, the club can reply that the more loyal fans will go to all the home games (indeed presumably even have an ST) and to as many away games as possible, and so naturally will have more points than most. I don't see that there is a problem with it, myself. AND that is despite being an exile, who until buying a HST last December generally went to more away games than home games, because there were so many games in the north-west. Therefore, I only have 320-odd points (having renewed my ST), so I thoroughly expect to have trouble going to my "local" match at Old Trafford.

Still, I don't see what else the club can do, frankly. Nor am I persuaded that it is an unfair system. We are all competing on a level-playing field. New fans may gain points at a faster rate than established fans, but established fans are already beginning from a good head-start.

The club should even out the distribution of points between the home and away games and stop "selling" points by way of joining STAR, meaningless cherry picked friendlies etc.

When points are awarded purely on a matches attended basis the system will return to being as fair a method of any when distributing tickets. Using the points system to increase the demand for a less attractive fixture or for spending money in the club shop is not condusive to fair allocation of match tickets.

If used properly the only draw back of the system I can see is that it might create a closed shop of elite fans as those new fans with less points will be unable to get to enough games to close the gap with the super fans. That is just the nature of the beast though.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 08 Aug 2006 16:55

If used properly the only draw back of the system I can see is that it might create a closed shop of elite fans as those new fans with less points will be unable to get to enough games to close the gap with the super fans. That is just the nature of the beast though.

There's a simple way around that though, isn't there?

Give points a lifetime.

I have to say that I agree with most of what you've posted. It came as a short sharp shock to find how far short I was of getting any level of priority to Villa, a game I've really looked forwards to.

And couple this with a lot of the other things going on this summer ...

Tilehurst Mike

Re: Disappointed by the close season

by Tilehurst Mike » 08 Aug 2006 16:56

Schards#2 As we close in on the start of a historic season, I wonder if i'm alone in being disappointed with the way things have gone over the close season.

Last season could not have been better and we finished the season on a euphoric high, however, since then, it all appears to have been about money rather than the excitement of the coming challange.

- Huge hike in ticket prices with no concession for long term fans
- Sidwell's wage demands
- The radio rights fiasco
- Forced to attend pre season friendly to ge necessary loyalty points
- Various other things such as charging to have a photo with the trophy

At a time when the players have never been paid more, they seem to be less happy than ever with their earnings and at a time when the club has never had more money going into its coffers, it's never seemed more intent on squeezing every last penny out of the supporters regardless of whether they are new or long term.

As things stand, we are paying a near doubling of ticket price on a game by game basis to watch what is virtually the same team and, arguably, a weaker team if Sidwell were to leave.

Obviously, I wouldn't change things and am looking forward to they season but it concerns me that the spirit of togetherness as a club that brought us through last season could die with this obsession with money and if the fans see the players and club reaping a huge increase in income when all the fans see is a huge increase in expenditure, that goodwill will quickly dissipate.

On the face of it I agree with most of what you say. Even more worried is that one of my best mates is a Brentford fan who says that on his day Sodje is a good Div 1 player, so I really hope we are still serious about signing another quality centre back before the season starts if sodje is 'one for the future' Also Sonko is still reported feeling the effects of lasts season's ankle injury.

I am however very happy that the clug had a good nucleus of young hungry players many of whom are signing up to longer contracts--long may that continue. Having been a guest at last Saturday's Wycombe v Wrexham match it made me realise what a gulf in standard there is between Reading and the likes of these teams now, so I guess noone really should have anything negative to say about the club or team now!!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Aug 2006 17:03

papereyes

There's a simple way around that though, isn't there?

Give points a lifetime.

I'm not sure that would solve the problem thoug.

Those with access to tickets through their higher points will still be able to buy tickets for games that those with low totals can't get. Even if you aged the points out after a number of years those who couldn't get tickets would still not be accuring new points as those with the elapsing points would've been buying the tickets up.

It might slowly close the gap, it all depends on how often the upper points brackets snap up all the tickets.

papereyes I have to say that I agree with most of what you've posted. It came as a short sharp shock to find how far short I was of getting any level of priority to Villa, a game I've really looked forwards to.

And couple this with a lot of the other things going on this summer ...

It'll be interesting to see how far down the points chain it takes for us to sell out.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 08 Aug 2006 17:05

I'm not sure that would solve the problem thoug.

Those with access to tickets through their higher points will still be able to buy tickets for games that those with low totals can't get. Even if you aged the points out after a number of years those who couldn't get tickets would still not be accuring new points as those with the elapsing points would've been buying the tickets up.

It might slowly close the gap, it all depends on how often the upper points brackets snap up all the tickets.

At the very least, it means that the gap won't keep increasing.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 08 Aug 2006 17:08

It'll be interesting to see how far down the points chain it takes for us to sell out.

With all of the big games, I've got good mates with contacts who can get me home end tickets.

Worked with Arsenal, ended up sat right up in the posh seats.

I've already got mates willing to get tickets for Villa, Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United.

Which in turn, means I don't get the points.

Blue Jay

by Blue Jay » 09 Aug 2006 00:15

Smug bastard! :roll:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Disappointed by the close season

by FiNeRaIn » 01 May 2010 08:53

Hopefully we won't have yet another disappointing close season like the last 4 this time around.