Disappointed by the close season

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2006 09:58

that's ok then, we might struggle in the Premiership, but we'll have the best shrubs in the league!

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 07 Aug 2006 10:00

Schards' point is a well-made one and its message is spot-on. This isn't necessarily a short-term gripe about paying more for a ticket and no signings coming in, it's rather more about the concern that fans are losing their connection to the club; can the club adapt to being in the Premiership in a way that doesn't completely take advantage of the fans, and how will the fans feel about the changes have been made and willbe made?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 07 Aug 2006 10:00

And the debt is down to £10m now was much higher before.

I am ok about us not signing big money players, I could nver see JM doing that. We are reported to have made high bids for Mensah, it could just be that the players do not want to come to such a succesful club.

Would be hard to break into the team of last season, as Hunt, Oster and a few others found out.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Aug 2006 10:00

TommyF Has any other team ever entered into the premiership having added to their (slim) squad by so little? (though we do still have 24 days to get players).

Wigan added fewest last season with 9, West Ham and Sunderland both adding at least 10. Sunderland proving that isn't not all about quantity though they had finished top of the Championship but still added several players with premiership experience.

Sunderland had 8 players leave, Wigan had 8 leave and West Ham 7.

We have had 2 leave this summer (Mullins and Young).

What does that tell me - that our squad has far less dead wood than those teams and does not need wholesale changes.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 07 Aug 2006 10:02

Royal Lady that's ok then, we might struggle in the Premiership, but we'll have the best shrubs in the league!

Nah it shows that with the water shortage that they should have planted them in late sep/oct when rain is more likely

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2006 10:03

The 17 Bus
Royal Lady that's ok then, we might struggle in the Premiership, but we'll have the best shrubs in the league!

Nah it shows that with the water shortage that they should have planted them in late sep/oct when rain is more likely
RFC Gardeners OUT!!!

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 07 Aug 2006 10:04

Wycombe Royal
TommyF Has any other team ever entered into the premiership having added to their (slim) squad by so little? (though we do still have 24 days to get players).

Wigan added fewest last season with 9, West Ham and Sunderland both adding at least 10. Sunderland proving that isn't not all about quantity though they had finished top of the Championship but still added several players with premiership experience.

What does that tell me - that our squad has far less dead wood than those teams and does not need wholesale changes.

Nope, that we already had cleared the decks the season before. None of those teams had been promoted having played about 17 players all season - most likely double that number and losing 8 or 9 players probably still left them with a squad as large as ours. We had an incredibly small squad last season but there was alot of quality for sure.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Aug 2006 10:08

Wigan may have added 9, but 5 of them were after the 4th of August.

Sunderland had only added 2 by the end of July, and 4 in total by now.

West Ham had added 5 by now.

mathematically_safe
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: keeping wicket for the quakers in my joy division oven gloves

by mathematically_safe » 07 Aug 2006 10:08

i have to say i'm hardly bursting with enthusiasm given all that schards metioned in the opening post.

i think it's important to make the point that the STH rise looks 'worse' because the prices were so (comparitively) low for the CCC.

i'm more disappointed with the design (and given the, excuse the pun, 'thread' elsewhere on the relative lack of quality) of the new kit.

and yes, i am fully aware that it's my choice whether to buy it or not but i feel my choice has been compromised because it's so shite!

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 07 Aug 2006 10:14

I honestly believe that the "lack of transfers and/or ambition" only becomes a cause for debate after the transfer window shuts at the end of the month.

I'm rather encouraged by what appears to be our lack of interest in Danny Shittu. He's a decent enough defender but not stunningly better than what we have. It suggests to me that behind the scenes we may very well still be aiming much higher in quality terms and not clutching at straws.

I've got sympathy with the original poster's perception of the club as a money-making machine out to wring every last penny out of fans, new and old alike. I can't help feel but a touch jaundiced myself by what I see go on but then again the club have to make hay while the sun shines. The Sun ain't shined much for us in the last 135 years!.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 07 Aug 2006 10:15

TommyF
Wycombe Royal

Nope, that we already had cleared the decks the season before. None of those teams had been promoted having played about 17 players all season - most likely double that number and losing 8 or 9 players probably still left them with a squad as large as ours. We had an incredibly small squad last season but there was alot of quality for sure.

During the previous close season:

Sunderland got rid of 10 players
West Ham got rid of 7 players
Wigan got rid of 3 players

So wit the exception of Wigan, those other 2 were also getting rid of dead wood the summer before.

Having a small squad has it benefits as was shown last season and I am happy with us keeping a small squad, but just not as small as it is currently.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 07 Aug 2006 10:38

One concern I have is that the new TV deal comes into effect for the 2007/8 season, and it is worth £600m more than the previous deal. This will swell the coffers of each club by an average of about £28m a year.

Therefore it is imperative for clubs to be in the Premier League at the start of next season. If we're not, a huge chance has been missed to establish ourselves in the top flight, as the gap between Premier League and Championship will be massive post the new deal.

I'm sure the club are aware of this, and whilst I have every faith in Coppell and admire what our squad has acheived, it does need strenthening. I just hope the reason for the lack of signings is a shortage of available quality or players not being interested in us, rather than the club penny pinching. You only have to look at teams like West Brom, Soton and Brum FC (all who've spent more than us this close) to see how desperte they are to get back up, and how important it is to be there next season.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 07 Aug 2006 10:39

I have put money on us beating Sunderland's points record.

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 07 Aug 2006 10:43

Royal Lady I thought the rise in season ticket prices was meant to cover the cost of new players being brought into the squad. Or something. I'm more concerned that the likes of Shittu prefer to sign for Watford than us.

My thoughts exactly. I feel at a loss as to what has been going on behind the scenes with regards to new signings.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 07 Aug 2006 10:52

Reading Abbey
Royal Lady I thought the rise in season ticket prices was meant to cover the cost of new players being brought into the squad. Or something. I'm more concerned that the likes of Shittu prefer to sign for Watford than us.

My thoughts exactly. I feel at a loss as to what has been going on behind the scenes with regards to new signings.

Has been announced that they are working on bringing in new players.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2006 10:53

they might be working on it, but it doesn't guarantee any other players will want to sign for us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2006 11:20

Royal Lady they might be working on it, but it doesn't guarantee any other players will want to sign for us.

True but that's hardly the clubs fault.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 07 Aug 2006 11:49

i think the choice on shirt is a bit of a con anyway.

i for one will be buying shirts this year simply for the PREM badge on the side, i think both of last seasons kits are much nicer, but i can't garuntee they'll bring out a good shirt with that special badge next year, so, im giving away my money somewhat begrudgingly

i doubt im the only royal in this situation

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Disappointed by the close season

by SpaceCruiser » 07 Aug 2006 12:00

Schards#2 - Forced to attend pre season friendly to ge necessary loyalty points

Did they put a gun to your head?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2006 12:02

:roll: if you want to maximise your royalty points in order to stand any chance of getting to the big away games - i.e. Chelsea Man Utd etc, then those 20 are necessary. In order to get them you have to go (or at least pay for a ticket) to watch a pre-season friendly.