Latest drivel from the Sidwell camp

108 posts
The Goat was fed

Latest drivel from the Sidwell camp

by The Goat was fed » 09 Aug 2006 19:05

We've all been sadly mistaken that Sidwell wanted to move on for more money. He didn't mean that stuff about more dosh needed for the wife and kid after all. Check out the latest from his agent:

However, the player's representative Eric Walters says no fresh bids for Sidwell have been made:
"Nobody from Reading Football Club has contacted me about an offer from Middlesbrough, I've heard nothing about it.

"Reading are certainly not interested in selling. It's not about the money, it's about doing the right thing by Steven Sidwell. He wants to play for a club that's established in the Premiership.
"But we're not going to cause a problem. Steven will play out his final year unless we hear anything different."

So presumably if we're established in the Premiership at the end of this season he'll be happy to stay, irrespective of offers from elsewhere? Glad he's not going to cause a problem. Hopefully that means he and his agent will now shut up for the rest of the season. Just remember "It's about doing the right thing for Steven Sidwell".

That's OK then.

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 09 Aug 2006 19:10

where did this come from?

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 09 Aug 2006 19:14

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 09 Aug 2006 19:34

If they be quiet i'll be a happy supporter, if he gets sold i'll be even happier.

Maybe Mensah will sign if we offer him squad number 4 :wink:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Aug 2006 19:39

Seriously people can we stop this now.

Sidwell is staying for the forseeable future and has done nothing wrong in the whole scheme of things. He will be pulling on our shirt in 10 days time and playing for our club. Nothing else is important.

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 09 Aug 2006 19:46

My point is that it's important he shuts up and gets on with his game

In his time at the club he's been one of our more articulate players, usually talking sense. For some reason he's now been transformed into a cliche-ridden gobshite. The more he and his agent keep spouting this nonsense, the more disruptive it becomes. He and his agent need to belt up.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Aug 2006 19:55

Fair enough.

I don't think Sidwell will mention anything about a move again unless it is instigated from elsewhere. He can't control his agent and we all know what twunts they can be so just ignore any spouting from him, I do.

Everybody needs to move on from this now and forget this saga as it has run it's course for the foreseeable. At the moment any comment Sidwell (and he will have to make more now we are a Prem team) makes is jumped upon and that helps no-one.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Aug 2006 19:57

The Goat was fed He and his agent need to belt up.

They aren't the only ones.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Aug 2006 00:21

The Goat was fed My point is that it's important he shuts up and gets on with his game

In his time at the club he's been one of our more articulate players, usually talking sense. For some reason he's now been transformed into a cliche-ridden gobshite. The more he and his agent keep spouting this nonsense, the more disruptive it becomes. He and his agent need to belt up.

he hasn't said anything this time. his agent did. And I really don't se much wrong with what he said in the first place.

Melbguy

by Melbguy » 10 Aug 2006 00:25

Obviously nobody has come in for him and when they do he'll be off.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 10 Aug 2006 02:13

Stranded Seriously people can we stop this now.

Sidwell is staying for the forseeable future and has done nothing wrong in the whole scheme of things. He will be pulling on our shirt in 10 days time and playing for our club. Nothing else is important.

Thank you, Mrs Sidwell, your views have been noted.

Meanwhile, back in the real world where most Reading fans are just responding to the sh*te currently emanating from the Sidwell camp........................surely someone in Middlesborough can put their hands on a brown envelope..................I doubt that the dosh represents too much of a problem.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 10 Aug 2006 06:49

Like any relationship, when the magic has gone it has gone for good. Agreeing that Sidwell will see out the last year of his contract is the football equivalent of 'staying together for the kids'. Never the right thing to do.

If RFC was a mate, and Sidwell his attention seeking slapper of a girlfriend, flirting openly with every other bloke who flashes a bit of cash, then you'd do the right thing and tell him to get shot of her sharpish while he still retained a bit of dignity.

I'm really angry that the club has pumped up his inflated ego further by making him feel irreplaceable. I just wish we would send him on his way, promise to remember the good times, and put this whole sorry saga to bed.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 10 Aug 2006 07:57

Avon Royal Like any relationship, when the magic has gone it has gone for good. Agreeing that Sidwell will see out the last year of his contract is the football equivalent of 'staying together for the kids'. Never the right thing to do.

If RFC was a mate, and Sidwell his attention seeking slapper of a girlfriend, flirting openly with every other bloke who flashes a bit of cash, then you'd do the right thing and tell him to get shot of her sharpish while he still retained a bit of dignity.

I'm really angry that the club has pumped up his inflated ego further by making him feel irreplaceable. I just wish we would send him on his way, promise to remember the good times, and put this whole sorry saga to bed.

Great analogy. I agree get the tosser out, we only want players who want to play for RFC.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 10 Aug 2006 08:27

Woodcote Royal

Meanwhile, back in the real world where most Reading fans are just responding to the sh*te currently emanating from the Sidwell camp........................surely someone in Middlesborough can put their hands on a brown envelope..................I doubt that the dosh represents too much of a problem.

I just wish people like you would get off Sidwell's back--you have so short memories and will be moaning if and when he leaves. In any event we just don't have the cover to let anyone leave at the moment. Sonko is complaining about his ankle from last season, Kitson's thigh injury has reared up yet again and lets face it we are never going to attract the players being touted in the press such as Mensah etc.

You'll be singing Sidwell's praises when he thumps a 25 yarder in the top corner in the first match!!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Aug 2006 08:41

Tilehurst Mike
Woodcote Royal

I just wish people like you would get off Sidwell's back--you have so short memories and will be moaning if and when he leaves. In any event we just don't have the cover to let anyone leave at the moment. Sonko is complaining about his ankle from last season, Kitson's thigh injury has reared up yet again and lets face it we are never going to attract the players being touted in the press such as Mensah etc.

You'll be singing Sidwell's praises when he thumps a 25 yarder in the top corner in the first match!!

Well said.

People need to realise in the bigger scheme of things he has done absolutely nothing wrong. He has excercised his contractual right to talk to other clubs but has reiterated time and again (including todays EP) that he is happy to play for us this year and is determined to play well and train hard.

I can't see what more we can ask for as a fan. If at the end of his contract he decides to leave fair enough, if he decides to sign fair enough - he will have done his job either way. If he underperforms then get on his back if you want.

This whole saga has sadly dominated the summer and I think that is more to do with our lack of signings than anything else. It hasn't unsettled the squad (all the key players have signed after all) so lets all just forget about it, stop being petty and look forward to next Saturday.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 10 Aug 2006 08:59

I don't have a problem with Sidwell, it's the club decision to keep him that riles me.

Clearly, he is thinking about moving on and therefore, that will be at the back of his mind. I don't think we'll see the best of Sidwell this season, at the end of which, he'll probably be on his way for nothing.

Let him go now, get a decent fee for him (which, given that he only has one year left, is probably around £2.5m) and bring in someone else.

I'd be reasonably happy if Sidwell went and we ended up playing Convey, Seol or even Doyle in the middle of the park for the short term.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Aug 2006 09:04

79Royal I don't have a problem with Sidwell, it's the club decision to keep him that riles me.

Clearly, he is thinking about moving on and therefore, that will be at the back of his mind. I don't think we'll see the best of Sidwell this season, at the end of which, he'll probably be on his way for nothing.

Let him go now, get a decent fee for him (which, given that he only has one year left, is probably around £2.5m) and bring in someone else.

I'd be reasonably happy if Sidwell went and we ended up playing Convey, Seol or even Doyle in the middle of the park for the short term.

Him playing badly helps no-one. If he has a poor season then any potential deals could disappear, certainly options would. It's his first year at this level so will want to prove himself.

There is no point in selling him now unless we have a replacement in place. We have a small enough squad as it is and getting rid of a key player now makes no sense, he is more valuable at the club that away from it. It's not as if we're finding it easy to attract players is it.

And seriously, you'd rather move players out of position to cover for his sale - that's just madness. I'm glad you don't run the team.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 10 Aug 2006 09:10

it always miffs me when a player will walk out for free, but as we're not prepared to sell theres little we can do here but hope he has a change of heart.

one thing i dont understand is why sidwell is seemingly the only player in the whole world who wants to go to middlesborough.... they're only a big club until southgates done with them mate!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Aug 2006 09:30

Stranded I don't think Sidwell will mention anything about a move again unless it is instigated from elsewhere. He can't control his agent and we all know what twunts they can be so just ignore any spouting from him, I do.

Sidwell could quite easily instruct his agent to drop the subject and keep stum.

Any comment coming from Sidwell or the agent is basically just an attempt to remind possible interested parties that Sidwell is unsettled at Reading and that if they want to make a bid he'd be happy to talk about a nice big pay rise with them.

The club aren't in any position to get rid of him yet as we don't have enough cover in the squad. If we could bring in two Premiership quality midfielders then I think we might see Sidwell out the door pretty sharpish IF any club is willing to stump up a decent fee for him.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 10 Aug 2006 09:35

Stranded
79Royal I don't have a problem with Sidwell, it's the club decision to keep him that riles me.

Him playing badly helps no-one. If he has a poor season then any potential deals could disappear, certainly options would. It's his first year at this level so will want to prove himself.

There is no point in selling him now unless we have a replacement in place. We have a small enough squad as it is and getting rid of a key player now makes no sense, he is more valuable at the club that away from it. It's not as if we're finding it easy to attract players is it.

And seriously, you'd rather move players out of position to cover for his sale - that's just madness. I'm glad you don't run the team.

I don't agree. If we let him go now, we'll have the readies available to buy someone else. Let him go in the summer for nothing and then what? No money and no player.

SHORT TERM, I don't have a problem with someone else filling his gap. I believe that we could get players in, but that Coppell is concentrating all efforts on his first choice targets. I'm sure that we could get someone to fill Sidwell's gap adequately, just maybe not the top target.

I understand what you are saying, but I feel that by not letting him go, we are just putting back a problem instead of dealing with it.

108 posts