What is wrong with you lot?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 28 Aug 2006 12:19

i dont think anyone was saying people cant express an opinion
just that the opinion is wrong

and i cant believe anyone really thought we would definately finish in the top half

Stevie c is a god, our players are all gods, we will stay up

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Aug 2006 12:31

brendywendy i dont think anyone was saying people cant express an opinion
just that the opinion is wrong

First paragraph of the first post says otherwise.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 28 Aug 2006 12:55

iang040563 as soon as we are no longer good

How very dare you! My Reading are always good.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: What is wrong with you lot?

by readingbedding » 28 Aug 2006 13:47

iang040563 This is not meant as a criticism to those of you who have been a Supporter of RFC for longer than ten years, but it is true, we have never had it this good. So unless you have been a Supporter since the team were in the old 4th Division, then you have no right to criticise the team.
When the only TV coverage they used to get was brief TV highlights on ITVs The Big Match of a 6-2 win over Bognor Regis in an FA Cup tie. How many of you were there for that? How many of you sung your hearts out watching Reading lose 2-0 at home to Darlington who were then bottom of Divison 3, courtesy of two own goals scored by Trevor Senior? How many remember standing on the terraces at Walsalls old ground where top of the old Division 3, we lost 6-0 having travelled both way in a blizzard? How many of you were there to watch Paul Canoville break his leg in the away game at Sunderland? How many of you were at the Vetch to see Andy Rogers have his life saved by the Reading physio having swallowed his tongue in a collsion with a Swansea player? How many of you remember Reading losing to non-league Colchester in the FA Cup? Or another FA Cup match when Wealdstone and Reading players had a punch up in the centre circle and was the only highlight? How many of you can remember Reading 4 Plymouth 3 in what was probably the best match I ever had the pleasure of watching at Elm Park?
A guy I used to work with a few years ago put everything into prospective when he said to me that he really admired me as a Reading supporter because he was an Arsenal supporter, and all he had to worry about was whether they were going to win any silverware or not, whereas Reading fans had the emotion of promotion and relegation every season to think about.
The majority of supporters on here are 5 minute wonders - and I will probably get slated for saying it, but where were you all when we were shit? Supporting another team probably that was doing slightly better than us. If so, what gives you the right to criticise RFC when the majority of supporters that remember RFC in the lower divisions have been waiting for this season to come round. If you do not like the fact that we have only got 3 points off of our first 3 games and are currently above Tottenham and Arsenal in the table then get off your horses and go back to supporting ManU, Liverpool or Chelsea.
Sorry needed to get this off of my chest..... :lol:

What a silly rant.
What a load of bollox.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 28 Aug 2006 14:02

Just like we bemoan fans of other clubs for living in the past and going on about their glory days, you could say the same for people who bleat on about the tough times when we had it so hard and how long they have been a supporter. You should all join a group of moaning Yorkshiremen, I'm sure you'd win the "we had it tough competition"

The reality is that we are where are now and history is not going to help us stay here. It's what we do today and in the future that counts.

So Hammond, stop racking up your airmiles and get your arse in gear and spend some that dosh that you've extracted out the of the fans justified on the basis that "we will be making significant investments in the squad" and " we expect to stay here"

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 28 Aug 2006 14:11

Scarface I'm over the moon we're in the Premiership, but I want RFC to stay there and not adopt the attitude that this season is just one big party.

Our squad clearly isn't good enough to stay up and the fact I as a fan will shell out a small fortune watching the team home and away, I expect the club to do more.

This sums up my views. I want to stay here. Without improving the squad, we won't. Simple.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 28 Aug 2006 14:18

Reading fans wouldn't be Reading fans without something to moan about. Sometimes I think we only feel truly comfortable in the middle of a really bad patch, calling for the manager to quit, and waiting for a particularly bad home defeat for an on the pitch demonstration.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 28 Aug 2006 14:26

Scarface Our squad clearly isn't good enough to stay up and the fact I as a fan will shell out a small fortune watching the team home and away, I expect the club to do more.

how an earth is the squad "clearly not good enough" to stay up? We won one match, would probably have got something from the second were it not for the harsh sending off, then lost the other, and somehow it proves we clearly aren't good enough? And as these statements have all come from after the Wigan defeat it does imply a small degree of overreaction to that one performance.

Clearly we don't look good enough to stay up comfortably, but that hardly makes us certainties for the drop. Yes we have got to play Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool in the next few weeks, but remarkable as it may seem, all the other teams have to play them at some stage too.

working class hero

by working class hero » 28 Aug 2006 14:40

iang040563 OK so the unthinkable happens and we do do a Sunderland and maybe get relegated twice in succession.
How many will remain supporters then?

After 2 relegations we might drop to 6000 or so..... And that is the sort of criticism that would really sting the club!

I shall stick with RFC for as long as I can afford to. However, this season I will go to precious few away games and reserve games as I am totally pi**ed off at the money grabbing from the club. I love RFC - but I will not be ripped off.
Programmes are up 20%, ST costs for me rose by 100%, parking up 40%...
The charge for reserve games is infinitely higher as it used to be free....

What I will not do is find I am priced out if we stay up and then return if we are relegated.
I am not a back up policy and will not be treated as such.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 28 Aug 2006 14:41

Conversely Stickleback, would you say that our three performances thus far show us to be 'clearly good enough'?

We saved ourselves at ohme to Middlesbrough, fought valiantly at Villa Park for nil return, and were dismal at Wigan. I don't fancy being a third of the way through the season before hitting ten points, but game 12 is Spurs and that ends a nightmare run during which I really can't see us picking up more than a couple of draws.

working class hero

by working class hero » 28 Aug 2006 14:42

Scylla 'Be grateful for what you have, things were much worse in the good old days' is actually no more constructive than 'They are all crap, JM must spend £100 on a complete new side before the window closes.' The club has moved on and will be judged by different standards.

I reckon at least £100 to keep faith with all those who have forked out for vastly increased prices....

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 28 Aug 2006 15:02

How far does this "no moaning" idea go. If a defender misses a defensive header, is it inapproproate to say "christ, we can't be giving those away" or at another point in the game should we refrain from complaining that one of our forwards missed a sitter? Shhh. Don't say that! Think of how far we've come!

I've said for about a year that it wouldn't be a total disaster if we went straight back down, very much on the basis of "look how far we've come". But that's hardly a reason why people shouldn't criticize the team or the set-up. Honestly, if it's inappropriate to make any kind of evaluative comment about our progress and performances, I can't imagine why it's worth watching. Football is fascinating only because of the doubt about the level of people's performances. It's a major and ongoing question who's good enough for this level (see Royalee's thread), and obviously something people will want to talk about. This isn's a Thorpe Park and I'm not just along for the ride.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 28 Aug 2006 15:06

cmonurz Conversely Stickleback, would you say that our three performances thus far show us to be 'clearly good enough'?

why does it have to be one or the other?

It's as if the only two possible options are "doing a sunderland" or finishing mid-table like Wigan & West Ham did last year. I don't think we've shown that we'll clearly stay up with ease, but that's hardly reason to write off the season.

We saved ourselves at ohme to Middlesbrough, fought valiantly at Villa Park for nil return, and were dismal at Wigan. I don't fancy being a third of the way through the season before hitting ten points, but game 12 is Spurs and that ends a nightmare run during which I really can't see us picking up more than a couple of draws.

We were winning at Villa until we had a man sent off. You make it sound like we were toiling away but always out of our depth. Somehow you've managed to making coming from 2-0 down to beat Boro into a negative thing, as if the fact that we were 2-0 down meant that really we didn't deserve it it something.

So far we've had two good performaces and one bad one, and we were unlucky not to get a point in one of those games. If we can maintain that ratio of good games to bad, then yeah, we'll probably stay up reasonably comfortably.

I don't care how many points we have at an arbitrary point at the end of a really tough spell of fixtures - it's how many points we have at the end of the season that matters.

People are just overracting because we lost to Wigan, and for some bizarre reason people got it into their heads that a game at Wigan would be easy.

This is going to be a hard season. I'm sorry if some people had a summer of living in a dreamworld, thinking we'll finish comfortably mid-table. It's not going to happen. That doesn't mean we are doomed to finish with 20 points though.

true*blue*loyal*royal

Re: What is wrong with you lot?

by true*blue*loyal*royal » 28 Aug 2006 15:12

readingbedding
iang040563 This is not meant as a criticism to those of you who have been a Supporter of RFC for longer than ten years, but it is true, we have never had it this good. So unless you have been a Supporter since the team were in the old 4th Division, then you have no right to criticise the team.
When the only TV coverage they used to get was brief TV highlights on ITVs The Big Match of a 6-2 win over Bognor Regis in an FA Cup tie. How many of you were there for that? How many of you sung your hearts out watching Reading lose 2-0 at home to Darlington who were then bottom of Divison 3, courtesy of two own goals scored by Trevor Senior? How many remember standing on the terraces at Walsalls old ground where top of the old Division 3, we lost 6-0 having travelled both way in a blizzard? How many of you were there to watch Paul Canoville break his leg in the away game at Sunderland? How many of you were at the Vetch to see Andy Rogers have his life saved by the Reading physio having swallowed his tongue in a collsion with a Swansea player? How many of you remember Reading losing to non-league Colchester in the FA Cup? Or another FA Cup match when Wealdstone and Reading players had a punch up in the centre circle and was the only highlight? How many of you can remember Reading 4 Plymouth 3 in what was probably the best match I ever had the pleasure of watching at Elm Park?
A guy I used to work with a few years ago put everything into prospective when he said to me that he really admired me as a Reading supporter because he was an Arsenal supporter, and all he had to worry about was whether they were going to win any silverware or not, whereas Reading fans had the emotion of promotion and relegation every season to think about.
The majority of supporters on here are 5 minute wonders - and I will probably get slated for saying it, but where were you all when we were shit? Supporting another team probably that was doing slightly better than us. If so, what gives you the right to criticise RFC when the majority of supporters that remember RFC in the lower divisions have been waiting for this season to come round. If you do not like the fact that we have only got 3 points off of our first 3 games and are currently above Tottenham and Arsenal in the table then get off your horses and go back to supporting ManU, Liverpool or Chelsea.
Sorry needed to get this off of my chest..... :lol:

well put.
i think its a good thing that we got 3 points out of the first 3 matches. that would be the same as 3 draws. im more than satisfied that we have actually WON a game, and then lost 2 matches, because then the team will have the desire to try and win the coming matches. no one expected 9 points on the table at this stage..did they?
sheffield utd and watford are both in the relegation zone and none of them have won a game yet. but it is to early in the season, and with critics writing us off to be relegated, we need to prove them all wrong and stay up 8)

c'mon u royals! :D

Custard Cream

by Custard Cream » 28 Aug 2006 15:15

Are we all agreed then?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Aug 2006 15:24

Custard Cream Are we all agreed then?

The only time that ever happened was when we all agreed that winning the Championship and getting promoted to the Premiership was good.

Don't expect it to happen again anytime soon.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 28 Aug 2006 15:28

For all the positives thoughts on this thread its hard to ignore the 7 games we got coming up after Sheff utd, I and all Reading fans would so love it to be different, but can anyone seriously see us exceeding 10-12 points after 12 games?
looking on the positive side side we are getting all the hard games out of the way in one go, but it could put more pressure on the players knowing that we are playing catch up football for the rest of the season

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Aug 2006 15:35

I don't think anyone can say how we will do untl we see how we bounce back from these two defeats and perform against Man City and Sheffield.

I get the feeling we'll once again get very few draws this season, that we're a win or lose team with little middle ground. I also think we'll win enough that we stay up.

Remember the most important thing in the prem is scoring goals. And we're one of the top scorers so far.

true*blue*loyal*royal

by true*blue*loyal*royal » 28 Aug 2006 15:38

Chaney For all the positives thoughts on this thread its hard to ignore the 7 games we got coming up after Sheff utd, I and all Reading fans would so love it to be different, but can anyone seriously see us exceeding 10-12 points after 12 games?
looking on the positive side side we are getting all the hard games out of the way in one go, but it could put more pressure on the players knowing that we are playing catch up football for the rest of the season

it will be tough BUT it ISN'T IMPOSSIBLE to beat big teams

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 28 Aug 2006 16:45

true*blue*loyal*royal
Chaney For all the positives thoughts on this thread its hard to ignore the 7 games we got coming up after Sheff utd, I and all Reading fans would so love it to be different, but can anyone seriously see us exceeding 10-12 points after 12 games?

it will be tough BUT it ISN'T IMPOSSIBLE to beat big teams

If we win a single game against the 'big five' I will get very very very drunk.