Trust Steve

Mr Irascible

Trust Steve

by Mr Irascible » 02 Sep 2006 00:01

Last year we had a squad that fans doubted. We played well, we won the Championship. This year no signings were made in the period up until last month. These same fans are pulling their hair out about a lack of ambition etc.. Please tell me which of the team should have been replaced and by whom on a position by position basis.

Otherwise, please put all your energies into driving the club through the greatest season ever.

URZ!!!!

Cookie

Re: Trust Steve

by Cookie » 02 Sep 2006 00:11

Mr Irascible Last year we had a squad that fans doubted. We played well, we won the Championship. This year no signings were made in the period up until last month. These same fans are pulling their hair out about a lack of ambition etc.. Please tell me which of the team should have been replaced and by whom on a position by position basis.

Otherwise, please put all your energies into driving the club through the greatest season ever.

URZ!!!!

Failure to prepare = Prepare to fail.
If you stand still you move backwards.
Upgrade or up sticks.

pp
Ron Atkinson

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 02 Sep 2006 00:20

When you lose to a good side, fair enough you holds your hands up but when you lose to sheer hard work, it pisses you off

Barry Fry

Exeter Uni Royal

by Exeter Uni Royal » 02 Sep 2006 03:38

consider the WORST case scenario -we go down, weve got a fcuk load in the bank from not only our parachute payments, but also from us not spending silly in the season - if we managed to get 106 points from the squad we had last season imagine what we have the potential to get next time! then we will be on a much better footing to survive in the prem.

Apologies for the drunken rambling, but after everyone has had their 2pence worth it thought i better.

I still think we arent the 1st/2nd/3rd worst team in the prem, so we should stay up - afterall, we are the best team EVER to have graced the championship - surely on that fact alone we should at least be on the same odds on whatever the best team to come up over the last 12 years was.

Lets take 6 points from the next 2 games, then enjoy what this town has waited 135 years for - and thats for the big boys to come to town - we already know the atmosphere will be electric - lets just enjoy it - back the boys - remember the south bank swansea division 3 - and be a lot more greatful than most have been on this site so far this season!

If we lose 3-0 every week ill still be proud!

To the history-making Reading F.C....

kingthor

by kingthor » 02 Sep 2006 03:57

I'm an American. I don't get to watch much football. In fact, I've never seen a full Reading game. I have to follow football through reading in the papers, and watching any glimpse of it that I get a chance to.

Yet, if I had a chance to be at Madejski Stadium, I wouldn't be dribbling on about the lack of signings. This season should be a season of pride for Reading fans. We are in the Premiership. Is it logical to be mad at the manager that got us there? This is the pinnacle of Reading's existence. Enjoy it, support the team, and stop the complaining. Besides, I too agree we are not worse than last season. We've made some good additions, and made the subtractions are minor. I guarantee you that if Reading from last season played in the premiership, they still would not have gone down. I don't think they will this season either. They are, afterall, a better squad.

Of course, I am an ignorant yank, and my football knowledge comes from reading papers and watching short clips. I deserve to be ridiculed based solely on my geographical location. :)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2006 07:15

Exeter Uni Royal consider the WORST case scenario -we go down, weve got a fcuk load in the bank from not only our parachute payments, but also from us not spending silly in the season - if we managed to get 106 points from the squad we had last season imagine what we have the potential to get next time! then we will be on a much better footing to survive in the prem.

Apologies for the drunken rambling, but after everyone has had their 2pence worth it thought i better.

I still think we arent the 1st/2nd/3rd worst team in the prem, so we should stay up - afterall, we are the best team EVER to have graced the championship - surely on that fact alone we should at least be on the same odds on whatever the best team to come up over the last 12 years was.

Lets take 6 points from the next 2 games, then enjoy what this town has waited 135 years for - and thats for the big boys to come to town - we already know the atmosphere will be electric - lets just enjoy it - back the boys - remember the south bank swansea division 3 - and be a lot more greatful than most have been on this site so far this season!

Not realy the worst case scenario when you consider a high number of our extremely talented young players would undoubtedly move on to Premiership clubs.

We would almost certainly get significant money for them, but we would be in the position of having to build all over again. As we all know that isn't easy and can take time. years and years in fact.

But ignore me. I'm depresssed at the moment anyway.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 02 Sep 2006 07:38

Ian Royal I'm depresssed at the moment anyway.

Me too.

I was always brought up to believe that you should always grasp every opportunity and give it your best shot. If you give 100% and fail, at least you can look at yourself and feel proud for giving it a go.

I wish we'd been brave enough to give the Premiership 100%.......

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2006 07:39

Avon Royal

Me too.

I was always brought up to believe that you should always grasp every opportunity and give it your best shot. If you give 100% and fail, at least you can look at yourself and feel proud for giving it a go.

thats right cheer me up. Very nice.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 02 Sep 2006 07:57

I really don't know why some are taking such a negative view. If the starting eleven had remained intact against Villa then the 3 points would have been ours ... that would have been a confidence boost which would have seen at least 1 point taken from Wigan ... result 7 points, 5th place and everyone's happy !

We have made good additions to the squad without spending serious money which means we will still have a bulging bank balance come January to spend if necessary ... I believe any money spent then would be to cement our mid table position and not panic buys to try and haul us out of the bottom three ... what if we had spent big and found ourselves in the bottom three after three games ... then we would really have had cause for concern.

Yes, we have a tough run of games coming up but, as I said in a previous thread we HAVE to play these teams ... TWICE ... so to me it doesn't really matter when.

We need to get behind the team 100%, both vocally and on this forum !

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Sep 2006 07:59

Avon Royal

Me too.

Again, please explain to be how we haven't given the Premership 100% - oh right we haven't spent £400m on players.

If we go down without a whimper then you can make that judgement, but to say that in September after 3 games just because we haven't splashed the cash it's not good enough.

Idiots.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2006 08:01

Stranded
Avon Royal

Me too.

Again, please explain to be how we haven't given the Premership 100% - oh right we haven't spent £400m on players.

If we go down without a whimper then you can make that judgement, but to say that in September after 3 games just because we haven't splashed the cash it's not good enough.

Idiots.

hope you weren't including me in that. I just said I was depressed.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Sep 2006 08:02

No, Ian not you mate.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2006 08:03

Stranded No, Ian not you mate.

thanks. your a toff.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 02 Sep 2006 08:09

Stranded
Avon Royal

Me too.

Idiots.

Maybe I didn't explain the reasons for my feelings clearly enough.

It's not the lack of money for new signings per se, it's more just a reflection of the general apathy that seems to be emanating from the club right now.

I can't quite put my finger on it - I guess it's an amalgamation of Mr Mad's constant shop-windowing, the increased prices that smack of short-term cash cow milking, the disappointing transfer activity, the obvious fact we lack quality in depth and the manager's public acknowledgement of this etc etc.

The mood just seems to be one of quiet resignation and that depresses some of us, myself included.

Oh, and desperately labelling anyone who advances a position you disagree with as "idiots" doesn't actually augment your argument.
Last edited by Avon Royal on 02 Sep 2006 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 02 Sep 2006 08:18

FFS ... WHY IS THERE THE NEED FOR ANYONE TO BE DEPRESSED / RESIGNED TO THE ( in their eyes ) OBVIOUS ... WE HAVE ONLY PLAYED THREE GAMES FOR CHRISTS SAKE ... IF I WAS A PLAYER READING THIS LOT I WOULD WONDER WHY THE FCUK I BOTHERED IN THE FIRST PLACE

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Trust Steve

by RoyalBlue » 02 Sep 2006 08:19

Mr Irascible Last year we had a squad that fans doubted. We played well, we won the Championship. This year no signings were made in the period up until last month. These same fans are pulling their hair out about a lack of ambition etc.. Please tell me which of the team should have been replaced and by whom on a position by position basis.

URZ!!!!

I trust Steve fully. However, is he getting the financial backing that he needs and deserves or will financial constraints prevent him from being able to perform as effectively as he could?

It's not just a question of replacing members of the team (although one or two may well not make the grade and that would not be unusual for a promoted team). The squad needed increasing in size with other Premiership quality players. It is still way too small and lacking in depth as I fear will be proven when injuries and suspensions hit us.

I will support the team but I'm not going to put up with being jerked around, charged large amounts of money and fed bullshit by other people on the non-playing side.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 02 Sep 2006 08:35

Dennis the Butler FFS ... WHY IS THERE THE NEED FOR ANYONE TO BE DEPRESSED / RESIGNED TO THE ( in their eyes ) OBVIOUS ... WE HAVE ONLY PLAYED THREE GAMES FOR CHRISTS SAKE ... IF I WAS A PLAYER READING THIS LOT I WOULD WONDER WHY THE FCUK I BOTHERED IN THE FIRST PLACE

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

If you didn't have your head in the sand then you wouldn't have to SHOUT. :wink:

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 02 Sep 2006 08:58

Ian Royal
Exeter Uni Royal consider the WORST case scenario -we go down, weve got a fcuk load in the bank from not only our parachute payments, but also from us not spending silly in the season - if we managed to get 106 points from the squad we had last season imagine what we have the potential to get next time! then we will be on a much better footing to survive in the prem.

Not realy the worst case scenario when you consider a high number of our extremely talented young players would undoubtedly move on to Premiership clubs.

We would almost certainly get significant money for them, but we would be in the position of having to build all over again. As we all know that isn't easy and can take time. years and years in fact.

Why would they move on to other clubs. After all, if they're as talented as you (and I) believe we'll stay up in the first place so what's all the fuss about :?:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2006 09:41

Bowman's Quiver
Ian Royal

Why would they move on to other clubs. After all, if they're as talented as you (and I) believe we'll stay up in the first place so what's all the fuss about :?:

Not necessarily. you can have a team packed full of talent, but if the wrong players get injured you can go down. Look at Birmingham. What about West Ham. They had a pretty good team when they were relegated.

If you think that all of Sidwell, Kitson, Lita, Doyle, Harper, Shorey, Seol and Sonko amongst others will stay should we get relegated then I think you're living in a dream world.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Sep 2006 09:43

Dennis the Butler FFS ... WHY IS THERE THE NEED FOR ANYONE TO BE DEPRESSED / RESIGNED TO THE ( in their eyes ) OBVIOUS ... WE HAVE ONLY PLAYED THREE GAMES FOR CHRISTS SAKE ... IF I WAS A PLAYER READING THIS LOT I WOULD WONDER WHY THE FCUK I BOTHERED IN THE FIRST PLACE

Just to get this straight in case I've mislead anyone. I'm not depressed about RFC. I never said I was, though it may have looked that way.