Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Cringe Time

by Royal Rother » 13 Sep 2006 17:16

Rob-Royal
Royal Rother
floyd__streete
Royal Rother Out of interest, should these ignoramuses bring back the chant "YOU BLACK BASTARD"? It was all part of exactly the same banter, no?

So calling someone a northern b@stard is just as offensive as calling someone a black b@stard is it?

Royal Rother - if he was made out of chocolate he'd eat himself.

20 years ago YOU BLACK BASTARD was heard every Saturday in virtually every football ground in the country. There was very little racism involved in that chant, it was just what the yobs shouted. They also shouted YOU DIRTY NORTHERN BASTARDS.

To me, calling anyone a bastard is offensive and I totally abhor this kind of numbskullery that many football supporters find so side-splittingly entertaining.

Seeing grown men chanting that sort of stuff is completely cringe-worthy.

If this wasn't so sad it would be hilarious.......

You must lead a very sheltered life....Racism is one thing and should never be tolerated, but where do you draw the line? What next poo, bum, willy.....FFS.....

:roll:

Sorry, I know it's a bit deep, but I find it a little sad that you can't see that my underlying point here is that 20 years ago YOU BLACK BASTARD went unchallenged, now NORTHERN BASTARD goes unchallenged by so many.

Both are, and always were offensive and unnecessary and in 20 years time I suspect that neither will be heard in football grounds.

Poo, bum, willy? As you say.... FFS.... :lol:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 13 Sep 2006 17:18

I will be singing Dirty Northern Bastard whenever I choose, I simply don't give a toss that it might offend the teams fans who we are playing, they give plenty of stick and mouth to us, so i'll gracefully return in back.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 13 Sep 2006 17:20

Royal Rother
Both are, and always were offensive and unnecessary and in 20 years time I suspect that neither will be heard in football grounds.

:

Dream on

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Sep 2006 17:21

FiNeRaIn I will be singing Dirty Northern Bastard whenever I choose, I simply don't give a toss that it might offend the teams fans who we are playing, they give plenty of stick and mouth to us, so i'll gracefully return in back.

Bully for you.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 13 Sep 2006 17:22

Well I like the chant "southerners..... southerners...... etccc".

Second, it's all banter, I doubt coppell, murty, etc... really give a crap what the fans are singing unless it is personally directed at them.

As for tom hark, this subject has been adressed many times before. And many people don't join in with tom hark, however, as has been pointed out before, 95% of the stadium do join in. Until this figure falls, it will stay. Unless the club randomly decide to change it.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 13 Sep 2006 17:23

The Surgeon of Crowthorne Isn't a bit odd to be chanting "dirty nothern bastards" at a French player anyway?

Yea, what will we chant at Arsenal?

You dirty french bastards?

Merde tete, merde tete, merde tete

:roll:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Sep 2006 17:23

Gordons Cumming
Royal Rother

:

Dream on

We'll see. Hopefully!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 13 Sep 2006 17:24

bobby1413 Well I like the chant "southerners..... southerners...... etccc".

Second, it's all banter, I doubt coppell, murty, etc... really give a crap what the fans are singing unless it is personally directed at them.

As for tom hark, this subject has been adressed many times before. And many people don't join in with tom hark, however, as has been pointed out before, 95% of the stadium do join in. Until this figure falls, it will stay. Unless the club randomly decide to change it.

Did it happen on Monday (Tom Hark)? I was more concerned about poor Ivar to notice.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 13 Sep 2006 17:25

I can see it, Royal Rother (aka Flanders) sitting at the game on Monday night next to his wife (aka Maude). When the crowd starts singing "Dirty Northern Bastards", his wife claps her hands to her ears and complains to Flanders "The children, won't anybody think of the children!!!"

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 13 Sep 2006 17:26

URZZZZZZZZ Also to the people in the North stand who sing, "Cooooommmmmeeeee oooooonnnnnnn RRRRRRReeeeeeaaaaaaadddddddiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggggg, etc etc". Keep doing the chant but stop doing it sooooooo slow, it makes you look and sound like a complete bunch of 'tards!!

Rant over.

I have to agree it's awful though I'd rather have it then nothing else. Reminds me when we first moved to the Mad Stad and for a few games in the East Stand corner near the away fans, these guys would start singing "Reading, Reading, Reading" like Chelsea fans do. Surprisingly it never caught on!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Sep 2006 17:28

You've forgotten I'm an armchair pLOLastic supporter so that's not gonna happen now is it Spacey?

Anyway, Maude is dead.

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 13 Sep 2006 17:29

I have seen it all on this site now, people complaining about the 'dirty northern bastard' chant. I swear some people want to turn football matches into something like an evening at the theatre, keep nice and quiet, clap in all the right places and possibly as in pantomime, heartily boo the baddies ( the opposistion), god give me strength, maybe you should start going to tennis or crown green bowls tournaments. When if first started watching the royals in the late 80's part of what pulled me back every week was the passion on the terraces and the banter between fans which helps make for an atmosphere which is unique to football, kill that and you might as well kill the game.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 13 Sep 2006 17:30

It was particualarly ironic to hear Trevor Sinclair being called a northern bastard. Surely he is a London lad? :oops:

dobcheck

by dobcheck » 13 Sep 2006 17:31

trevor sinclair is from manchester i believe, he started his career at blackpool

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 13 Sep 2006 17:32

Let's face it, Manchester City were dirty on Monday night. They fouled their way through the game and picked up 4 yellows and 1 red.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 13 Sep 2006 17:35

dobcheck I have seen it all on this site now, people complaining about the 'dirty northern bastard' chant. I swear some people want to turn football matches into something like an evening at the theatre, keep nice and quiet, clap in all the right places and possibly as in pantomime, heartily boo the baddies ( the opposistion), god give me strength, maybe you should start going to tennis or crown green bowls tournaments. When if first started watching the royals in the late 80's part of what pulled me back every week was the passion on the terraces and the banter between fans which helps make for an atmosphere which is unique to football, kill that and you might as well kill the game.

Exactly.

It doesn't mean anything. Threats, chants, insults all just a part of the fun day/night out.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 Sep 2006 17:36

I think we should copy Leeds, take our shirts them and wave them over our heads like scarves while chanting "Berkshire, Berkshire " til we die of cold.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Sep 2006 17:38

If you think calling someone a dirty northern bastard is banter then I feel a bit sorry for you.

It is a classic hate-filled chant that is almost always complemented by twisted faces and aggressive gestures. If you can't see that that is not banter, well, words fail me.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 13 Sep 2006 17:41

Royal Rother If you think calling someone a dirty northern bastard is banter then I feel a bit sorry for you.

It is a classic hate-filled chant that is almost always complemented by twisted faces and aggressive gestures. If you can't see that that is not banter, well, words fail me.

Oh Jesus Christ, Flanders. You're a wimp. You're easily scared. Maybe you should stay and home and take up knitting.

UrbieG

by UrbieG » 13 Sep 2006 17:56

Royal Rother If you think calling someone a dirty northern bastard is banter then I feel a bit sorry for you.

I sung it with a nostalgic smile on Monday night, pleased that the banter that made the South Bank such a great place to be carries on.

'The same yobs' that used to sing this 20 years ago were the same Yobs that sung
'He's here he's there he's every **** where' (crikey, the f word)
'Terrys gonna get ya' (threatening)
'You're getting wet....' (unfair taunting, surely)
& practically every other chant apart from 'Come on you royals' at corners which seemed to spread along the south bank to the tilehurst end.

It's part of football culture. That you and others want to change it saddens me, because this road will lead to a Tom Hark culture and no passion.

so...................Royal Rother -
' It's nice to know you're here
It's nice to know you're here
It's nice to know you're here
**** Off'

144 posts