"This is real football"

215 posts
Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 24 Sep 2006 23:01

brendywendy it is, i believe, a cancerous and malignant tumour on this wonderfull sport that i love
No, not just sport, society in general. :(

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Sep 2006 23:21

Great fun..I guess

rewind

Burnley at EP early seventies (2-1 Burnley).............the Southbank hards give it large and move towards the claret and blue en-mass.......the crowds part

one Burnley fan makes a move forward.............100 reading fans retreat quicker than the italian WW2 Army..................all regroup and catcall from the safety of their chums Levi back pockets :roll:

Portsmiff late seventies. (2-0 Reading)....there was no Sarf Bank that dayReading "Hards" cowering behind 14 year old school kids in the Tilehurst end

2006............pack mentality......bunch of jessies

Sonic

by Sonic » 25 Sep 2006 00:12

I can't believe what I've just read on this thread.

a) Yes, clearly wearing away colours in the home end is stupid
b) Yes the stewards should not have let him through the turnstiles
c) Yes he should have been ejected by the stewards as soon as he was spotted

Did he deserve to be battered - never. 15 to 1 or 10 to 1 no matter - cowards. If the club don't take action then shame on them.

I sit in the East stand with my son FFS.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 25 Sep 2006 08:29

Kajagoogoo Yet again,conclusive proof that this site is full of do-gooding,new age football fans! You do give me a good laugh..lol lol lol

The brain dead pratt brigade just got bigger by one.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 25 Sep 2006 08:31

Sharpy if you walk into any home end before a BIG game in the oppositon colours i guarantee you would get a slap 99 times out of 100..... FACT

And that makes it correct?

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 25 Sep 2006 09:02

alad That is football, if someone is stupid enough to wear a United shirt in the Reading stand then they're inciting trouble and asking for it.

Although there is absolutely no excuse for this type of violence and I am not condoning it in any way, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the lad wearing the offending shirt--is he thick or what?

Also what were the stewards doing--they should have removed him before a ball was kicked.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 25 Sep 2006 09:19

Anyone that thinks violence is an acceptable way of making a stand is clearly idiotic and has no morals.

No doubt the yound lad in the United shirt was very cock sure and thought it would be a right laugh to wear an away shirt in the home end. However, the way to deal with him is to speak to a steward and have him ejected. Laying into him is not accpetable anywhere in society and definitely not at a football stadium.

If I knew who attacked the lad, I would report them to the Police and the club. I would also urge the club to sack the steward who let the lad in the stadium in the first place, as they were clearly not doing their job properly.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 25 Sep 2006 09:28

79Royal Anyone that thinks violence is an acceptable way of making a stand is clearly idiotic and has no morals.

No doubt the yound lad in the United shirt was very cock sure and thought it would be a right laugh to wear an away shirt in the home end. However, the way to deal with him is to speak to a steward and have him ejected. Laying into him is not accpetable anywhere in society and definitely not at a football stadium.

If I knew who attacked the lad, I would report them to the Police and the club. I would also urge the club to sack the steward who let the lad in the stadium in the first place, as they were clearly not doing their job properly.

Dead Right

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 25 Sep 2006 09:34

79Royal If I knew who attacked the lad, I would report them to the Police

Nobody likes a grass.

boycey

by boycey » 25 Sep 2006 09:34

West Stand Man
Sharpy if you walk into any home end before a BIG game in the oppositon colours i guarantee you would get a slap 99 times out of 100..... FACT

And that makes it correct?

doesn't make it right but it's obvious this sort of thing would happen at any ground so we shouldnt be making such a big deal of it .

and what the hell was he thinking? would he have done the same at west ham or milwall? doubt it somehow... he's lucky it wasn't alot worse .

LoyalRoyal13

by LoyalRoyal13 » 25 Sep 2006 09:39

The fact that it is such a popular team, supported by a hell of a lot of people, should have prepared these thugs for the fact that there would be the odd Man Utd fan in the Reading end! OK the lad shouldnt have worn it in the Reading end but that does not give any-one the right to lay into him! This type of thing will give us a bad name and we have one of the best reputations in the Premier League lets not throw this away! Every-one associated with Reading has DREAMED of this year and the fact that we are doing so so well should not be overshadowed by stupid acts of thuggery!

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Sep 2006 09:52

Surely this debate is about how individuals react to a certain stiimulus.

I wouldn't feel the need to hit somebody simply for wearing an away shirt in the home end.

If however, this person came up to me and swore in my face, for instance, I probably would hit him.

The people who hit this lad must have a screw loose, in short.

igoe agogo

by igoe agogo » 25 Sep 2006 09:54

Surely if he's wearing a shirt he therefore comes under the category of 'Scarfer' and if my knowledge of the 'try-hards code' is correct, they're not supposed to be fair game for trouble.

The lad's obviously dense but deserving of a kicking - no, not in my book.

If he was decked out in hooli gear and provoking those around him then I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd been approached one on one but a big group of try hards - n'ah!

There are more appropriate and proportionate ways of dealing with a situation like this - i'm sure 99% on here would agree.

Alas, it's another memory in the oxf*rd bank for the try-hards.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 25 Sep 2006 09:57

A West Ham supporting friend of mine has got me and my sons (14 and 16) tickets for next week's game. We will be in the West Ham end. I have warned my sions on pain of death not to wear their shirts and not to show any emotion during the game.

But what happens if, after a good piece of play, we score a stunning goal to win the game, and my 14 year old forgets himself and leaps up to celebrate? Given the West Ham fans' legendary tolerance and sense of fair play, they will of course smile indulgently at him and congratulate him on his team's performance. Er, or possibly not. There will be people who think that it is their duty to kick seven bales of shit out of a young lad who dares to 'invade their territory', it matters not that he was invited by one of their own.

Yes, it is stupid for anyone to express support for another team in the middle of opposition supporters at a game. But is it as stupid as the sort of mentality that thinks it's right to kick him? Would these brave Reading heroes have killed the bloke if they hadn't been stopped? Would that have been acceptable?

Tribalism exists in football, and it always has. I work with Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man U fans. My Tottenham supporting mate hasn't arrived at work yet, and I can't wait to have a go at him after the weekend's results. But that is as far as it should go. In the same way as sport is 'warfare with rules', so should the supporting of a certain team be seen in the same way.

Anyone who thinks the events of which we're speaking are acceptable ahs no place at a football match, indeed they have no right to call themselves rational human beings.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 25 Sep 2006 10:03

LoyalRoyal13 The fact that it is such a popular team, supported by a hell of a lot of people, should have prepared these thugs for the fact that there would be the odd Man Utd fan in the Reading end! OK the lad shouldnt have worn it in the Reading end but that does not give any-one the right to lay into him! This type of thing will give us a bad name and we have one of the best reputations in the Premier League lets not throw this away! Every-one associated with Reading has DREAMED of this year and the fact that we are doing so so well should not be overshadowed by stupid acts of thuggery!

:roll:

Yeah we're going to be right up there with 'Wall and Cardiff because one lad took a few slaps in the home end.

Only on HNA could you end up with 8 pages of outrage about one minor scuffle.

The bottom line is, if one of my mates decided to do his grocery shopping in a market in Baghdad and got his legs blown off then I would have a choice of two reactions - a) how can human beings do this to each other? They're inhuman monsters, it's morally unacceptable to plant bombs in markets etc etc or b) err, why didn't you just go to Tesco?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 25 Sep 2006 10:07

moo The stewards are to blame for letting someone with a United shirt into the East Stand, if one of us had gone into the away section with a Reading away shirt on then I would expect the same treatment.

Would you expect it - Yes

Is it justified - No

Sadly, in keeping with most other clubs, we have some fans who could do with evolving a bit more.

LoyalRoyal13

by LoyalRoyal13 » 25 Sep 2006 10:58

Maguire
LoyalRoyal13 The fact that it is such a popular team, supported by a hell of a lot of people, should have prepared these thugs for the fact that there would be the odd Man Utd fan in the Reading end! OK the lad shouldnt have worn it in the Reading end but that does not give any-one the right to lay into him! This type of thing will give us a bad name and we have one of the best reputations in the Premier League lets not throw this away! Every-one associated with Reading has DREAMED of this year and the fact that we are doing so so well should not be overshadowed by stupid acts of thuggery!

:roll:

Yeah we're going to be right up there with 'Wall and Cardiff because one lad took a few slaps in the home end.

Only on HNA could you end up with 8 pages of outrage about one minor scuffle.

The bottom line is, if one of my mates decided to do his grocery shopping in a market in Baghdad and got his legs blown off then I would have a choice of two reactions - a) how can human beings do this to each other? They're inhuman monsters, it's morally unacceptable to plant bombs in markets etc etc or b) err, why didn't you just go to Tesco?

LOL WELL THEN UR AN IDIOT

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 25 Sep 2006 11:05

LoyalRoyal13 LOL WELL THEN UR AN IDIOT

Err, yes, well done :roll:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Sep 2006 11:17

Maguire Only on HNA could you end up with 8 pages of outrage about one minor scuffle.

Point missed by a wide margin.

There's 4 pages of this thread trying to justify that 15 blokes beating up a kid because he supports a different football team was understandable.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 25 Sep 2006 11:26

The way I see it is:

99% of "normal" every-day people know that there are some nasty and dangerous people around. We don't like them, we don't agree with what they do, but we live around dangers like this.

Same as the football. Stupid people decide to beat someone senseless due to his choice of team. Not good - and not clever. There may well have been others who supported another team. But they had the sense to not make a point of displaying their feelings.

Add to this the environment they were in. Drunk, loud, testostreron (spelling?) fueled men and you must be pretty stupid to do something like this.

Again, no one agrees with what happens, but things like this do happen. If you have 100 people, there will be a minority who want to upset things. If you have 24000 people there will also be a minority.

I bet that 17year old who got the shit kicked out of him will remember this in the future. Just a shame he learned the hard way.

215 posts