Is Marcus Overrated

NTRoyal

by NTRoyal » 10 Oct 2006 22:13

He is a bit on the large side, but so is Paddy Kenny, one of the best keeper's around.. according to Neil Warnock :roll:

USA is a solid keeper, but could do with some sharpening up, his distribution and handling is poor. Otherwise, excellent.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Oct 2006 22:15

That would be a great arguement except Kenny is woeful and Warnock is quite clearly unhinged.

I don't think there is any problem with Hahnemann that a few more good results and the team going out and having a bit more of a go as equals won't sort out.

I firmly believe this will start to happen after the next 3 or 4 games.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 10 Oct 2006 22:51

This and other thread just go to show why some might think the yank is overrated. Tinrib, Spacey etc, your absolutely clueless and your blind defence of Marcus is exacty why the fella initially said he's overrated!

He's got to be in our all time top 3 keepers but those who can't admit that he has weaknesses or has got away with a couple of mistakes a game this season are over rating him.

To say that there are only 5 better keepers in the Premiership is laughable.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 11 Oct 2006 09:23

Southbank Old Boy This and other thread just go to show why some might think the yank is overrated. Tinrib, Spacey etc, your absolutely clueless and your blind defence of Marcus is exacty why the fella initially said he's overrated!

He's got to be in our all time top 3 keepers but those who can't admit that he has weaknesses or has got away with a couple of mistakes a game this season are over rating him.

You need to assimilate what was written. I said ' There are not too many keepers in the Premiership that I would have above him -(Van Dar Sar, Robinson, Cech, Given, perhaps) but that's about it. '

I did'nt say there were 5 better keepers than him. Other than the ones I mentioned, I believe Marcus is at least if not better than the others, on an equal par as them.

And you need to understand that rating is based on billing. Marcus has never billed as something that he is'nt.

Actim stats have him this far through the season as 4th best in the Prem.

You add nothing new to the pot apart from a blind opinion. There is nothing in your post that supports your view.

Show me something tangible and I'll listen.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Oct 2006 09:56

Tinrib
Southbank Old Boy This and other thread just go to show why some might think the yank is overrated. Tinrib, Spacey etc, your absolutely clueless and your blind defence of Marcus is exacty why the fella initially said he's overrated!

You need to assimilate what was written. I said ' There are not too many keepers in the Premiership that I would have above him -(Van Dar Sar, Robinson, Cech, Given, perhaps) but that's about it. '

I did'nt say there were 5 better keepers than him. Other than the ones I mentioned, I believe Marcus is at least if not better than the others, on an equal par as them.

Exactly, isn't that the point he was trying to make, that you think there are only five keepers that are better than Hahnemann, which is overrating him as there are other keepers that have performed better than Marcus in this and previous seasons.

Tinrib And you need to understand that rating is based on billing. Marcus has never billed as something that he is'nt.

What the hell is billing? I think you'll find most other people are talking about how Hahnemann is rated by Reading fans, primarliy on here as well. The fact that a lot of posters like you seem to think there are only 5 better keepers than him would suggest that he is indeed overrated by you at least, and from what I've read and heard lately, quite a few other Reading fans too.

Outside of Reading fans I don't think he's over rated as most would place him as an average Premiership keeper (and probably the best in the Championship last season) that has already made a few mistakes this season. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tinrib Actim stats have him this far through the season as 4th best in the Prem.

You add nothing new to the pot apart from a blind opinion. There is nothing in your post that supports your view.

Show me something tangible and I'll listen.

Actim stats are useless. They can't tell you how good a player is, they'll only show you how they and their side have performed against some measurable parameters. The fact that Hahnemann has made more saves than anyone else does not mean he's a better keeper, it just means we've allowed (or restricted if you like) opposition to a lot of long range savable shots!

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 11 Oct 2006 11:28

Actim stats are useless. They can't tell you how good a player is, they'll only show you how they and their side have performed against some measurable parameters. The fact that Hahnemann has made more saves than anyone else does not mean he's a better keeper, it just means we've allowed (or restricted if you like) opposition to a lot of long range savable shots![/quote]

LMAO :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Oct 2006 12:03

Tinrib Actim stats are useless. They can't tell you how good a player is, they'll only show you how they and their side have performed against some measurable parameters. The fact that Hahnemann has made more saves than anyone else does not mean he's a better keeper, it just means we've allowed (or restricted if you like) opposition to a lot of long range savable shots!

LMAO :lol:[/quote]

LOL at you for thinking Actim stats are actually worth anything.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 11 Oct 2006 12:20

The stats have their uses, its just how you use them.

On their own and in isolation, most people shouldn't touch them.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 11 Oct 2006 12:20

Ian Royal
Tinrib Actim stats are useless. They can't tell you how good a player is, they'll only show you how they and their side have performed against some measurable parameters. The fact that Hahnemann has made more saves than anyone else does not mean he's a better keeper, it just means we've allowed (or restricted if you like) opposition to a lot of long range savable shots!

LMAO :lol:

LOL at you for thinking Actim stats are actually worth anything.[/quote]

LOL@ you -You have no idea what they're about and how they're calculated.

http://www.premierleague.com/fapl.rac?c ... e=actimFAQ

Bit of lunchtime reading.

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 11 Oct 2006 12:24

What we are seeing this season is a defence under a hell of a lot more pressure than we've been used to - no surprise there then! Suddenly Inge is too small, Sonko makes mistakes, and Marcus is overrated!!!

The fact is we've got a positive goal difference, we're not exactly conceeding many goals are we (I might regret saying that come Saturday :? )

Marcus is a good keeper, not perfect (someone really needs to sort his kicking out!) and maybe not as confident as last season. But the pressure's on against better opposition and I think he'll grow into it.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Is Marcus Overrated

by floyd__streete » 11 Oct 2006 12:33

Tinrib I cant be arsed to argue the toss anymore on this with Rich@Eaststand.

Rich thinks he is, I say thats bollocks.

Out to the wider audience.

Does this really need another thread and the same regurgitated opinions?

I think he is not overrated - just rated as a pretty decent all round 'keeper. I think some people are confusing his popularity with the fans - due to the fact that he goes that extra mile in acknowledging us as his paymasters - with people overrating him.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Oct 2006 12:36

Huntley & Palmer We need some decent competition for him, if at the very least to keep him on his toes.

Agree with this. Graham Cack is not decent competition.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Oct 2006 12:59

floyd__streete

I think he is not overrated - just rated as a pretty decent all round 'keeper. I think some people are confusing his popularity with the fans - due to the fact that he goes that extra mile in acknowledging us as his paymasters - with people overrating him.

I agree with your assessment of Hahnemanns ability and standing. However, as the two threads show, a lot of Reading fans seem to rate him a lot higher.

It's interesting to note that nobody has yet said they think he's a poor keeper, so he must be doing alright.

As for Actim, or any other stats for that matter, being a good representation of an individual players ability, thats just a load of tosh.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 11 Oct 2006 13:06

Hoop Blah
floyd__streete

I agree with your assessment of Hahnemanns ability and standing. However, as the two threads show, a lot of Reading fans seem to rate him a lot higher.

It's interesting to note that nobody has yet said they think he's a poor keeper, so he must be doing alright.

As for Actim, or any other stats for that matter, being a good representation of an individual players ability, thats just a load of tosh.

Have you never appriased or been appraised in the workplace?

purleyroyal

by purleyroyal » 11 Oct 2006 13:20

floyd__streete
Huntley & Palmer We need some decent competition for him, if at the very least to keep him on his toes.

Agree with this. Graham Cack is not decent competition.

Not sure if I dreamt it :? but I recall Jon Fearn somewhere saying that Marcus has been playing with a broken toe recently.
Keeping him on his toes might not be the best approach - but might explain some wayward kicking. :shock:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Oct 2006 13:26

Tinrib
Hoop Blah As for Actim, or any other stats for that matter, being a good representation of an individual players ability, thats just a load of tosh.

Relevance?

FYI Unfortunately I'm not a professional footballer

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 11 Oct 2006 13:46

Hoop Blah
Tinrib
Hoop Blah As for Actim, or any other stats for that matter, being a good representation of an individual players ability, thats just a load of tosh.

Relevance?

If you're being appriased set questions are generally measured against statistical data ( or in other words your performance) leading to a score.

Actim just applies the same methodolgy but in far more involved and complex way.

But then again if you apply no value to giving your team or receiving an appraisal of yourself, I guess you're not going to read to much into Actim.

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 11 Oct 2006 13:55

He's a good all round goal keeper. I wouldn't say over rated, but he is the best we have currently and deserves the number one shirt.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Oct 2006 14:03

Tinrib
Hoop Blah
floyd__streete

Yes, and it's a load of tosh.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Oct 2006 14:09

Tinrib
Hoop Blah
Tinrib

Relevance?

If you're being appriased set questions are generally measured against statistical data ( or in other words your performance) leading to a score.

Actim just applies the same methodolgy but in far more involved and complex way.

But then again if you apply no value to giving your team or receiving an appraisal of yourself, I guess you're not going to read to much into Actim.

But with all due respect, of the five keepers you say are better than Hahnemann none appear above him in those ratings. In fact Van Der Saar is the only one in the top five. So aren't the stats almost contradicting your point?

As far as I can tell the only way a keeper can really score points (pls correct me if I'm wrong) is by

a) making saves
b) playing 90 mins each week
c) keeping clean sheets

David James is top due to keeping 5 out of 7 clean sheets but how much is that down to him and how much is down to his defence. Marcus has made a lot of saves this year but how many have been saves that you even the most average keeper would expect to make. ie long shots.

Hahnemann is a good keeper of that there is no doubt but to say only five are better than him is a bit shortsighted.