First Royal to play for England

Amongst the sheep

First Royal to play for England

by Amongst the sheep » 10 Oct 2006 19:21

We are now in the lofty position of having regular internationals playing for Iceland, Ireland,South Korea and Scotland? But who will be the first to get an England call up? Are any of our current squad good enough?

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 10 Oct 2006 19:25

Shorey will rise to the challenge no problem The guys so composed a class act.

Mr Hoppy

by Mr Hoppy » 10 Oct 2006 19:32

Small problem of Ashley Cole being, possibly, the best left back in the world at the moment. Also Wayne Bridge is pretty good when he gets the chance to actually play. Having said that, I still agree that he is the most likely to get called up.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 10 Oct 2006 20:42

I think you'll find we've already had an England player.

Herbert Smith in 1904.

ShinPad

by ShinPad » 10 Oct 2006 20:45

we were the biscuitmen in those times old man

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 10 Oct 2006 20:47

Jerry St Clair I think you'll find we've already had an England player.

Herbert Smith in 1904.

Clue's in the title, Royal not Biscuitman.

With our underperforming national midfield, and based on his reputation which appears to count more than ability, I could see Sidwell getting a call. I just fear a Geoff Thomas performance.

Harold

by Harold » 10 Oct 2006 21:24

Joe Royle played 6 times for England.

addsrfc

by addsrfc » 10 Oct 2006 21:25

i think sidwell will be the first to get a call up to the england squad , he is young and has alot of interest from other clubs , his progress in the premiership will be monitered quite a bit i think

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 10 Oct 2006 21:30

addsrfc i think sidwell will be the first to get a call up to the england squad , he is young and has alot of interest from other clubs , his progress in the premiership will be monitered quite a bit i think

Doubt he'll be a Reading FC player if/when he gets a call up.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Oct 2006 21:58

SWLR

Herbert Smith in 1904.

With our underperforming national midfield, and based on his reputation which appears to count more than ability, I could see Sidwell getting a call. I just fear a Geoff Thomas performance.

What a load of bollocks just because the nickname has changed it's still the same team. The Biscuitmen and the Royals are both Reading FC one is a current nickname the other is not.

How dare you lessen the achievement that Herbert Smith has in being the first ever Reading player to play for England.
Our History does not begin in 2000, or 1994, or the 80's, but in 1871!

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 10 Oct 2006 22:04

Ian Royal
SWLR

Herbert Smith in 1904.

What a load of bollocks just because the nickname has changed it's still the same team. The Biscuitmen and the Royals are both Reading FC one is a current nickname the other is not.

How dare you lessen the achievement that Herbert Smith has in being the first ever Reading player to play for England.

Not ofeten that agree with Ian Royal, but he is right. Just because the nickname has changed, he was still a Reading player.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Oct 2006 22:07

Big Ern
Ian Royal
SWLR

Herbert Smith in 1904.

Not ofeten that agree with Ian Royal, but he is right. Just because the nickname has changed, he was still a Reading player.

Cheers Ern, I was a bit worried people might think I was overreacting but that actually offended me quite badly.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 10 Oct 2006 22:15

Ian Royal
Big Ern
Ian Royal
SWLR

Herbert Smith in 1904.

Cheers Ern, I was a bit worried people might think I was overreacting but that actually offended me quite badly.

No problem, I do still think you're a twat though.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Oct 2006 22:19

Big Ern
Ian Royal
Big Ern
Ian Royal
SWLR

Herbert Smith in 1904.

No problem, I do still think you're a twat though.

I can live with that.

I think you can be a bit of a prick sometimes but on the whole you're fairly decent.

isn't it nice we're all friends :?

Amongst the sheep

by Amongst the sheep » 11 Oct 2006 10:00

Herbert Smith in 1904.

Bit before my time! Was he the last? We can't count ex-Reading players or Joe Royle!

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 11 Oct 2006 10:14

higher Shorey will rise to the challenge no problem The guys so composed a class act.

I don't think he'll make it, Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge are both still young and from what I watched last night Leighton Baines is the future now.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Oct 2006 10:44

Scarface
higher Shorey will rise to the challenge no problem The guys so composed a class act.

I don't think he'll make it, Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge are both still young and from what I watched last night Leighton Baines is the future now.

Not only Baines but Barry as well. Not to mention Konchesky who I think would still be more likely to get the call up.

Shorey is a hell of a player and perhaps the most composed of the lot of them but his lack of pace and lack of a physcial side to his game will probably hold him back.

Sidwell might be more likely to get in a squad but it'd be a massive shock to me if any of our lot got even that far unfortunately.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Oct 2006 10:46

Hoop Blah
Scarface

Not only Baines but Barry as well. Not to mention Konchesky who I think would still be more likely to get the call up.

Shorey is a hell of a player and perhaps the most composed of the lot of them but his lack of pace and lack of a physcial side to his game will probably hold him back.

Sidwell might be more likely to get in a squad but it'd be a massive shock to me if any of our lot got even that far unfortunately.

Given the current dire straights we are in terms of strikers I wouldn't be surprised if Kits got a call up if not played. Then again, if Bent and Johnson can't force themselves into the team ahead of Crouch and Defoe then what chance does Kitson have.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 11 Oct 2006 10:47

Big Ern & Ian Royal

I'm touched that my clarification of the title of the thread can bring you both so close together. I'm sure you will have many happy hobnob days together.

However, let me give your more opportunity to extend your lovefest.....Clearly the thread was pointing to the future i.e. is there anyone in the current squad who can make it?

So while Herbert Smith's achievement should be heralded, the reality is that in the modern game for a current player to break through will be the greater achievement.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Oct 2006 10:50

Ian Royal Given the current dire straights we are in terms of strikers I wouldn't be surprised if Kits got a call up if not played. Then again, if Bent and Johnson can't force themselves into the team ahead of Crouch and Defoe then what chance does Kitson have.

I doubt he'll ever be fit for enough games to prove his worth.

Don't forget there is Ashton to come back into the equation as well, and he's a similar player to Kitson and has already forced himself into contention.