Marcus Hahnemann

Coppell's Right Footed 11

Marcus Hahnemann

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 10 Nov 2006 12:36

After a brief chat with my brother he feels Hahnemann is an excellent goalkeeper however i feel strongly against and feel he is pretty terrible.

Im going to have a look at his pros:

Good Shotstopper
Strong Physically and wins most crosses
Good rappor with the fans
Fantastic Championship Goalie

Against:

Kicking is awful, kicks it out of play half the time
Distribution again is woeful, and this goes in with awareness. why he continues to kick it instead of rolling it out like every other keeper and resulting in losing possesion baffles me each week.
With better players in the prem i feel he is much more clumsy due to the different shots being used compared to the championship and he spills more than a baby on its napkin. I.e Kuyts goal on sat, and Yakubu on opening day.
Last criticism is his positioning. I feel he really is the a close second behind harper on the headless chicken syndrome. I.e Hulse And Downings goals against us.

Hahnemann is a good championship goalie and did wonders for us last season, but i just feel that hes not quite the premiership standard but this is my opinion..

Views??

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Nov 2006 12:37

We've had this debate before.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Nov 2006 12:38

Hahnemann is the best goalkeeper we have at the club until such a time that Coppell goes out and brings someone better in.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 10 Nov 2006 12:41

This thread is

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 10 Nov 2006 12:42

Top Flight Hahnemann is the best goalkeeper we have at the club until such a time that Coppell goes out and brings someone better in.

Obviously as we are in the Premiership

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 10 Nov 2006 12:43

SpaceCruiser This thread is

Along with your 31,177 posts

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Nov 2006 12:44

Top Flight Hahnemann is the best goalkeeper we have at the club until such a time that Coppell goes out and brings someone better in.

Obviously as we are in the Premiership

Why is that obvious because we are in the Premiership. When we were in the Championship, Hahnemann was still the best keeper at the club until such time as Coppell brings someone better in.

Couple of questions.....

Is Stack better? Probably not........

Was Ashdown better than Hahnemann? Maybe.....

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Nov 2006 12:45

I don't feel he is. He had a pressure free last season and letting Stack go on loan to Leeds was a mistake for me.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 10 Nov 2006 12:50

i always thought ashdown was a better goalkeeper that hahnemann. its a bit of a contreversial view but i think a lot of fans would say the same. i dont think we should have ever let him go.

Elm Park Forever

by Elm Park Forever » 10 Nov 2006 12:53

I think he is a pretty good keeper and certainly the best that we've got at the club. He is by no means terrible. And recently he hasn't exactly had the most solid defence in front of him. He hasnt looked as assured this season as last and has made a few mistakes but I still feel comfortable with him in goal.

He is absolutely abysmal on FIFA 07 though. Every time you bring him out to close down the striker he just runs out the way :evil:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Nov 2006 12:53

He wanted first team football and had a better offer from Portsmouth. Not hard to say yes to that

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Nov 2006 12:55

Marcus has been outstanding for us for many a season, this season however he has definitely been a weak link for me.

Not looking half as commanding and we've had a few 'moments' potential mixups that we've got away with.

Last season in 50 odd games he played you could probably count the mistakes on one hand, maybe he was doing similar things but getting away with it so we didn't notice?

This season he's been at fault for quite a few goals or could have done better with a few. Is it a season too many for Marcus? Poor run of form? Or is it that he's not up to this level?

Got till January to find out because its certain now Stack has gone elsewhere Marcus will retain the shirt regardless :?

This woud be the time to have given Stack a chance. A chance he hasn't had since he joined RFC.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Nov 2006 12:56

Huntley & Palmer He wanted first team football and had a better offer from Portsmouth. Not hard to say yes to that

He only managed to get first team football briefly though at Fratton.

I wonder why Pompey felt then need to pursue other goalkeepers. Because that cr*p French boss they had moved for some dodgy Eastern European keepr and Harry went in for James straight away. Neither felt that Ashdown was up to the task.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Nov 2006 13:01

He picked up a knee injury if I recall then fell out of favour with the new manager as he brought in his own staff. Harry then re-appeared and he had an opportunity to sign James abd Kiely who is currently a better stopper than Ashdown. Are you trying to tell me that Cudicini isn't up to the task now that Cech is at Chelsea? Is there something wrong in teams buying better personnel, perhaps it is something Coppell and the Board should have thought about before the season started.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Marcus Hahnemann

by LoyalRoyal22 » 10 Nov 2006 13:03

Coppell's Right Footed 11 After a brief chat with my brother he feels Hahnemann is an excellent goalkeeper however i feel strongly against and feel he is pretty terrible.

Im going to have a look at his pros:

Good Shotstopper
Strong Physically and wins most crosses
Good rappor with the fans
Fantastic Championship Goalie

Against:

Kicking is awful, kicks it out of play half the time
Distribution again is woeful, and this goes in with awareness. why he continues to kick it instead of rolling it out like every other keeper and resulting in losing possesion baffles me each week.
With better players in the prem i feel he is much more clumsy due to the different shots being used compared to the championship and he spills more than a baby on its napkin. I.e Kuyts goal on sat, and Yakubu on opening day.
Last criticism is his positioning. I feel he really is the a close second behind harper on the headless chicken syndrome. I.e Hulse And Downings goals against us.

Hahnemann is a good championship goalie and did wonders for us last season, but i just feel that hes not quite the premiership standard but this is my opinion..

Views??

:lol: Dominates on crosses? no he doesnt, that is one of his week points. His communication with defence is poor aswell, not enough shouting.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Nov 2006 13:03

Alan Partridge Marcus has been outstanding for us for many a season, this season however he has definitely been a weak link for me.

Not looking half as commanding and we've had a few 'moments' potential mixups that we've got away with.

Last season in 50 odd games he played you could probably count the mistakes on one hand, maybe he was doing similar things but getting away with it so we didn't notice?

This season he's been at fault for quite a few goals or could have done better with a few. Is it a season too many for Marcus? Poor run of form? Or is it that he's not up to this level?

Got till January to find out because its certain now Stack has gone elsewhere Marcus will retain the shirt regardless :?

This woud be the time to have given Stack a chance. A chance he hasn't had since he joined RFC.

I agree with all of this and Hahnemann has also been punished now several times for his spills and mistakes and slow reactions. But in this division the ball does fly around with more bend, pace, accuracy and power than at any other level. But other keepers seem to be dealing with it better than Hahnemann or are they? Hahnemann is also at the top end of the list for saving most shots at this level. To be fair to him our defence hasn't offered much protection this season than they have in previous years. Hahnemann has been one of the busiest keepers in the Premiership this season.

It is the old game of averages and statistics. If Hahnemann is gonna have the ball whizzing in at him every other minute at this level then he is gonna make more saves, more spills, more mistakes and let in more goals than most.

If other keepers were put under the same pressure that Hahnemann has had to endure this season would they fair any better? James is notorious for his errors and every keeper makes errors at this level. If a ball comes at you like a cruise missile its gonna be hard to hold on to it. This has statistically happened more to Hahnemann than any other keeper!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 10 Nov 2006 13:05

Hahnemann's been quality for us over the years, but this season he's been nothing short of crap unfortunately. He's made several mistakes which have/could have cost us, such as the Boro free kick and last Saturday's blunder. His distribution used to be absolutely amazing, especially when he first joined the club, but now he just seems to punt it aimlessly to our 5 foot strikers.

I'm disappointed that we've loaned Stack out, but then again maybe Coppell's looking to give him experience to come back and challenge similar to what happened with Ashdown a few years back. I have no doubt in Hahnemann's ability, but some competition and some time on the bench might do him good, whether it be when Stack returns or if we bring in a replacement next year. I say this, but Federici hasn't really put a foot wrong when I've seen him play and it'll be interesting to see how that works out as the club clearly rate him.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 10 Nov 2006 13:06

Marcus is on the BBC Berks phone in this week, If you have anything to say about him give them a call and say it live on air.

Before you do, remember he's very well built and collects guns.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 10 Nov 2006 13:08

Forbury Lion Marcus is on the BBC Berks phone in this week, If you have anything to say about him give them a call and say it live on air.

Before you do, remember he's very well built and collects guns.

My post defends Hahnemann. Which is more than what Sonko and Ingimarsson have managed to do this season.

Squelchy2507

by Squelchy2507 » 10 Nov 2006 13:13

It doesn't seem to me that Marcus hast been playing as well this season, yet the stats don't really support that. The official ACTIM statistics, widely regarded as the most accurate reflection of a players performance, currently have Hahnemann as the 6th best goalkeeper in the Premiership - he was 5th before last Saturday.

So that doesn't suggest that he is a bad keeper. I think perhaps we just notice the mistakes more now because of the greater coverage and attention.