Seven years ago today

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

Seven years ago today

by Only one Trevor Morley » 27 Nov 2006 14:35

I remember going to this match - we were terrible. Its amazing to think that in seven years we have gone from the relgation zone of League 1 to 7th in the Premiership........ and look at the crowd!!

27th November - Reading 1 Scunthorpe 1

Attendance 6,142
This was more of the same horrific football from Reading that we've seen all season, but if anything it's getting worse. Reading are continuing on their downward path, a path which seems to have no end as Reading push on nowhere but down. And after this match, yet another dismal Reading performance, the fans have had enough. Attendances are dropping and we're almost down to the "hardcore" support already. The fans were excellent to begin with - giving the Royals as much support as they could possibly hope for, but after showing a complete inability to score and then going one down it all spilled over, and to be honest the players probably deserved the on-slaught from the crowd. Even some of the West Stand were on their feet chanting "We Shit, and we're sick of it". Pure depression is slowly being replaced by expressed frustration. Who to blame though? A large number of the East Stand were ready for a pitch invasion demanding us to stop playing shit - but how? The management clearly don't know the answer - it's a problem they've inherited - but something drastic has to be done to stop the slide of many seasons.

With Reading's lack of recent goals in stepped Libie up-front, Reading's new loan signing from Charlton. Playing alongside Forster and McIntyre it at least looked like Reading were out there for the three points. But it was Scunthorpe who got off to the best start and it was a miracle that they weren't a goal up inside the first couple of minutes. A corner was won on the right and fired into the Reading box. The first shot was blocked, leaving a second chance, just right of centre, for a shot on goal. It was going in but was somehow cleared off the line to safety.

It looked even worse for the Royals on 15 minutes when Whitehead collapsed on the edge of the box after pumping the ball up-field. After treatment he continued with Howie warming up, only to have real problems dealing with a clearance moment later and collapse yet again after stuggling to kick it wide. He'd clearly done his leg in trying to hoof the ball and was replaced by Scott Howie. There were some nervous few moments when Howie first came on in his familiar number one shirt, he came late to an advancing forward which could have cost a goal, but from then on he didn't do much wrong.

Scunthorpe's good start quickly came to an end as Reading appeared to be taking control of the game. For a while I thought we were actually looking quite good. If we'd managed to put one in the back of the net it might have been a different story. Unfortunately Reading just weren't dangerous enough, and we're so low on confidence we were clearly scared to shoot. At the back Polston was clearing things up very nicely indeed, but he needed to put in a few vital tackles on more than one occassion as other members of the defence were left stranded. His distribution out from the back of defence also should have taught other members of the side a lesson or two.

Up front Lisbie was looking everything he'd been hyped up as being. Looking similar to Martin Williams both on and off the ball he was bloody fast and showed some great touches on the ball. He's apparantly been banging them in left, right and centre for Charlton Reserves - but he must have quickly inherited the Reading disease and failed to get a first half shot on target. We weren't looking too bad, but it was to turn out to be the same old story - not creating enough chances. Reading lacked the speed, skill and desire. When we did make chances they were wasted. Every time. McIntyre, again getting plenty of support from the Reading fans, wasted a great opportunity to give Reading the lead. He broke into the area on the left and was faced with just the keeper between him and the net. Instead of firing home he appeared to be caught in two minds and an attempt that was probably a cross sped low right across goal and way wide on the right.

Forster was replaced within the first half. I assume he was injured but it may have been tactical too as the three man forward line hadn't produced the early goal that was perhaps the game plan. Smith came on to replace Forster and play just behind the front two of McIntyre and Lisbie.

Scunthorpe appeared to be settling for the draw and put everyone behind the ball. Scunthorpe, not one of the most skillful sides in the division were content to foul whenever something looked like happening and Reading seemed all to happy to sink down and respond with the same treatment. Scunthorpe were also forced to replace an injured player within the first 45 minutes and although there were six minutes of stoppage time there could have been more.

And once again the second half continued as the first had. Scunthorpe looked more and more prepared for the draw and Reading couldn't find a way through despite the superior possession, and once again it decended into frustrating dullness as it appeared to be drifting towards nil-nil once again. Lisbie has a great opportunity to put Reading ahead when we did break through but was too scared to do it. He had two clean attempts to put it away. He did very well to beat his man and pull the ball inside to set up the shot, but instead chose to pull it back when it would have been simpler to let fly.

With Pardew still clearly after the victory Brayson was brought on with 20 minutes left - a real opportunity it seemed at the time. Brayson mustered one long range shot from outside the box which was well wide to the right of the goal, and then Reading went a goal down and Brayson once again didn't get a sniff of goal.

Scunthorpe's goal could be seen coming way before it happened. Once again a textbook style break-away goal. Reading should have been able to defend it, but weren't. The away side broke down the right. Reading successfully pulled a few men back, but Scunthorpe did better. The ball was threaded from right to left into the box, and then again to the left of centre to the spare unmarked man - with Hunter unsure which direction to go in. The shot was fired across the outstretched Howie and into the far corner of the net. A straight forward enough goal that we should have defended. And then Reading just collapsed as Scunthorpe threatened to stretch their lead further.

Howie kept the score down with a superb outstretched save from a free-kick just outside the box. Moments later Scunthorpe were clean through yet again. This time Howie reacted instantly and, when he looked to be second favourite for the ball, came legging it out brilliantly to block the shot and save a goal. The game was then reduced to farce with Hunter appearing to bite the leg of the Scunthrope number 25 and getting a punch in the head for his troubles. The number 25 was lucky not to go as he's already picked up a yellow card.

At this point there was only one team in it: Scunthorpe. Reading threatened to let at least one more in and the East Stand could take no more. "We're shit, and we're sick of it, we're shit..." and of course "You're not fit to wear the hoops". Some idiot behind me tried (obviously unsucessfully) to start a chant demanding the departure of John Madejski. Mr. Madejski is the one thing holding Reading together at the moment. If Madejski ever decieded he wasn't enjoying the ownership of Reading FC then he could just leave, then there would be no-one to absorb the huge loss we make every single week - an increasing loss as the gates continue to shrink. Without him we would be nothing, and Reading Football Club would cease to exist. People should try and remember that.

Then with just three minutes left of the clock Reading scored the equaliser to win back a point. The ball was crossed from the right by Caskey and Hunter was there at the far post to rise and head the ball home.

Hunter's late equaliser almost certainly saved the Madejski Stadium's first ever pitch invasion, and provided the first bit joy of the afternoon for the home fans - after 87 minutes of play. The travelling Scunthorpe fans will feel very hard done by after almost making it 0-2 with so many chances after they'd taken the lead. Scunthorpe remain one of the poorer sides of the division but almost got away with the full three points. The draw against Burnley mid-week seemed almost acceptable but this result entirely wasn't. In the end we were almost pleased to get a point. At this rate Division Three football looks more likely than unlikely.

biscuitman

by biscuitman » 27 Nov 2006 15:31

At this rate Division Three football looks more likely than unlikely.

:)

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 27 Nov 2006 15:34

Did Lisbie play that day? Can't be arsed to read the report, I remember this game though.

Wasn't the best. :o

Also remember, think this was the game where our keeper Whitehead got hurt and then big Barry Hunter in all his wisdom gave him a back pass, which he promptly hobbled to and scuffed it out for a throw in, and then was replaced!

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 27 Nov 2006 16:01

is this the year they did the trip to sunny scunny? that was a fun day out, i don't think they had ever seen so many ballons there before.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 27 Nov 2006 16:46

Sounds like 'pants' to me, should have had a theme day

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 27 Nov 2006 16:52

there we go.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 27 Nov 2006 16:53

I vented my spleen on Radio Berkshire after this game :oops:

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 27 Nov 2006 16:57

did joel put his hand on your knee in a slightly inappropiate way as you vented?

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 27 Nov 2006 16:58

there we go.

Not much filling that pant protest - makes me feel adequate for a change

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 27 Nov 2006 17:01

those are special pants for when you just can't wait.

Lieutenant Pigeon

by Lieutenant Pigeon » 27 Nov 2006 17:16

Aaaarrrgggh - beat me too it! I was gonna post up a similar thread today (1st chance I've had to get to a computer). Particularly remember this pile of poo as my eldest was the match mascot that day. His Gran and Grandpa came along for their 1st ever live game at the Madstad too (never to return - I wonder why!)

C.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 27 Nov 2006 17:34

I remember putting my hands on my head and despairing when Hunter equalised - it was the worst thing that could have happened and merely papered over the cracks of a terrible team.

6,000? I'm amazed we got that many.

Tutti Frutti

by Tutti Frutti » 27 Nov 2006 17:41

I missed that game because I had whisked my wife away to propose to her. Though to be fair, the 1-1 home draws with poor teams were just endless at that stage.

She comments these days that I was more willing to miss the odd home match now and again before we were married.

:lol:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 27 Nov 2006 17:46

Anyone remember gui ipoua giving us the big one after biting hunter's(think it was him) nads? Ran along in front of us with a big smile on his face doing a kind of chicken dance, as he knew he got away with it.

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1