Marcus top five keeper.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 13 Dec 2006 12:08

He is in fact top of the NOTW keeper ratings. Which I find strange not becouse he has played badly but for most games except Pompey away he has had little to do which is great credit to our defence.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 13 Dec 2006 12:26

Citizen Nice guy.

Dodgy keeper.

Distribution awful.

Postioning suspect.

You can do anything with statistics.

Just look and watch.

Nice guy.

Game poised at 0-0, Marcus makes a great save & quickly makes a great throw/kick to set up a counter attack & we go 1-0 up. How many times did this happen last season? obviously down to dodgy keeping and awful distribution. oh and i suppose it was suspect positioning that meant he failed to stop a 25 yard rocket from Emre that dipped at the last minute, having gone into the game with only a penalty conceeded in 4 matches?

Think you need to 'look and watch' a bit more Citizen

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 13 Dec 2006 12:36

Game poised at 0-0, Marcus makes a great save & quickly makes a great throw/kick to set up a counter attack & we go 1-0 up. How many times did this happen last season? obviously down to dodgy keeping and awful distribution. oh and i suppose it was suspect positioning that meant he failed to stop a 25 yard rocket from Emre that dipped at the last minute, having gone into the game with only a penalty conceeded in 4 matches?

I suggest you learn a little something about context. People are discussing this season. Not last season, the reason people are criticising his distribution is because we want what he was doing last season back.

jm_cooper

by jm_cooper » 13 Dec 2006 12:49

i just got the train from Reading to London and big Marcus was on it!
was pretty rammed so both of us were standing in the aisle.

he had his missus with him. my summary: fit, but not "premiership footballer" fit.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 13 Dec 2006 13:00

zac naloen

I suggest you learn a little something about context. People are discussing this season. Not last season, the reason people are criticising his distribution is because we want what he was doing last season back.

People failing to put things into context is one of the points im trying to make.

For a period of 10 games (most of which was playing whilst injured by all accounts) his distribution was not good. The opposition is also far better, which has made the quick throw out to the full backs a lot harder this season. That on the back of about 200 appearances where his distribution was superb.

He's not the best in the prem, far from it, but you do not compete with some of the best teams in the World with a shit keeper FFS.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 13 Dec 2006 13:20

What's the point of saying he's a "top five" 'keeper when he's third in the ratings. You may as well say he's "top ten" or "top twenty". Better still, can we say he's currently "top three"?

comeonthebiscuitmen

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 13 Dec 2006 13:21

Liverpool fans I've spoken to recently don't like Reina at all.
They are fickle like most fans though.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 13 Dec 2006 13:23

Tony Le Mesmer
zac naloen

People failing to put things into context is one of the points im trying to make.

For a period of 10 games (most of which was playing whilst injured by all accounts) his distribution was not good. The opposition is also far better, which has made the quick throw out to the full backs a lot harder this season. That on the back of about 200 appearances where his distribution was superb.

He's not the best in the prem, far from it, but you do not compete with some of the best teams in the World with a shit keeper FFS.

Anyone who says he's a shit keeper is wrong. His distribution being bad this season is literally my only criticism. Unfortunately his injury is no excuse for his poor distribution, if his kicking was off then why the oxf*rd wasn't he throwing it to one of the back four more often? It may be harder but there were several times where he could have done so instead of booting the ball out of play.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 13 Dec 2006 13:55

jm_cooper i just got the train from Reading to London and big Marcus was on it!

he had his missus with him. my summary: fit, but not "premiership footballer" fit.

Is that summary in relation to his toe or his wife?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Dec 2006 13:57

So, in summary then:

Marcus is a good keeper but there are better than him in the division and his distribution could use some improvement.

Well, I'm glad we got to the bottom of that one.

Cookie

by Cookie » 13 Dec 2006 22:15

Man Friday What's the point of saying he's a "top five" 'keeper when he's third in the ratings. You may as well say he's "top ten" or "top twenty". Better still, can we say he's currently "top three"?

Yes we can
Last edited by Cookie on 14 Dec 2006 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 14 Dec 2006 08:56

yes, we should bench him in favor of federici

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 14 Dec 2006 08:57

jm_cooper he had his missus with him. my summary: fit, but not "premiership footballer" fit.

so probably quite a normal, attractive woman rather than a total slag?

Cookie

by Cookie » 14 Dec 2006 21:53

Is this shallow or what?

blade 1

by blade 1 » 14 Dec 2006 22:14

As a neutral veiw point.

think marcus is a decent keeper.

But i can remember him being a fault for a few goals this season and there are better ones out there. Think those stats should be taken with a pinch of salt. Reina has been terrible this year, made countless mistaks and he is still in the top 4. That said Marcus is comfortably a good prem keeper.

Top 5 in my view (this season)

Given (only got to look at newcastles record with him and without him, best in the world you never see him making a mistake)
Edwin
Carson
David james (if he could cut out his moments of madness he could be the best in the world, and he has kept them to a minimum)
jassjkalinen (another one who i can just remember making some terrific stops)

And i think paddy is also a top keeper: pulled out some world class saves.

The worst keepers

Reina (this season)
nicky weaver
robert green (over rated, comes out drops a cross and has the cheek to claim the 3 foot 4 geary went to nobble him)

Finchley Royal

by Finchley Royal » 14 Dec 2006 23:41

To be fair though, Marcus does have the standard number of eyebrows...

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Dec 2006 02:27

These ratings fail to take into account shots on goal and saves a keeper actually makes. All it means is the defence is playing well, not necessarily the keeper. It's a load of bollocks.

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 15 Dec 2006 19:05

Royalee These ratings fail to take into account shots on goal and saves a keeper actually makes. All it means is the defence is playing well, not necessarily the keeper. It's a load of bollocks.

Is that so.

Do you actually know how the stats are collected, have you ever bothered to find out?

How are Actim Stats collected?

PA Sport gathers match data for every Barclays Premiership, Coca-Cola Football League and Bank of Scotland Premiership game. The data is gathered by two methods - real-time match analysis and the study of video footage. The real-time analysis is conducted by ex-professional footballers who report on action at the grounds as it happens. More detailed analysis is obtained by studying videos of the matches.

Abbo

by Abbo » 26 Dec 2006 13:46

At this very early stage of the day, may I restart this debate.

Fact 1) Stats mean nowt.