The pitch

141 posts
Nezhen

by Nezhen » 08 Jan 2007 21:48

Anyone know if we will have our goalposts back in place for tomorrow's game ?.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 09 Jan 2007 00:06

SpaceCruiser Oh Lord save me, they actually think we don't own the stadium. :roll:

What is company A? I think they made that one up, they seem desperate to think that we are also tenants. :roll:

I always actually thought Mr Mad owned the stadium and we were just tenants!! :oops: :oops:

bb0118
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bb0118 » 09 Jan 2007 00:39

John Madejski's Wallet
SpaceCruiser Oh Lord save me, they actually think we don't own the stadium. :roll:

What is company A? I think they made that one up, they seem desperate to think that we are also tenants. :roll:

I always actually thought Mr Mad owned the stadium and we were just tenants!! :oops: :oops:

Surely being JMW, you of all people should know :wink:

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 09 Jan 2007 10:27

John Madejski's Wallet

Mr Mad owns Reading FC. Therefore Reading FC owns the stadium. When Mr Mad sells Reading FC, I think the Madejski Stadium will be part of the package.

And all this primacy of tenure bollocks, surely the owners of the stadium have every right to decide whether a rugby game can go ahead or not.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 09 Jan 2007 10:39

SpaceCruiser
John Madejski's Wallet

Mr Mad owns Reading FC. Therefore Reading FC owns the stadium. When Mr Mad sells Reading FC, I think the Madejski Stadium will be part of the package.

And all this primacy of tenure bollocks, surely the owners of the stadium have every right to decide whether a rugby game can go ahead or not.

How does that work then? So everything that Mr Mad owns Reading also own? Muppet.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 09 Jan 2007 10:41

I believe the "main" company is Reading Football Club (Holdings) Ltd, which is wholly owned by JM.

This holding company then has subsidiaries which include the club itself and the stadium business as separate concerns.

Well that's how I've always understood it; but it would be nice to see it laid out as clear as day by someone who knows for sure.
Last edited by Platypuss on 09 Jan 2007 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jan 2007 10:43

SpaceCruiser
John Madejski's Wallet

Depends on the contract signed. We have rented the stadium to LI for use for rugby. On rugby days we have no say on whether the game goes ahead or not. Only the RFU or the ref of the game have that say.

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 09 Jan 2007 10:57

I heard a suspicious rumour that the drainage system is blocked and the club won't pay to have it unblocked hence all the surface water... hmmm :roll:

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 09 Jan 2007 10:58

Platypuss I believe the "main" company is Reading Football Club (Holdings) Ltd

It's The Reading Football Club (Holdings) Plc. The company registered in 1897 is The Reading Football Club Ltd which I expect will own the stadium.

andyhalls

by andyhalls » 09 Jan 2007 11:18

Technically, as far as I understand, Madejski owns the stadium, and leases it to the club, despite owning the club itself, it's pointless and confusing. But I remember seeing it in an article in a newspaper a few years back, as far as I know the situation is the same.

Therefore Reading F.C. are the primary tenants, and LI are secondary tenants, with RFC getting priority to use, naturally.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 09 Jan 2007 11:29

Report on this is the Independent as well.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/rugby_union/article2137708.ece

Madejski row raises groundsharing fears
By Chris Hewett
Published: 09 January 2007
Rugby union has not heard the last of yesterday's postponed Guinness Premiership match between London Irish and Saracens at a waterlogged Madejski Stadium in Reading, partly because the game will have to be repositioned somewhere in a horribly crowded programme and partly because of widespread dissatisfaction at the way the fixture was called off.

Ashley Rowden, the referee, was placed under considerable pressure to make the decision because Reading FC were concerned that any rugby activity on a sodden surface would threaten tonight's rescheduled FA Cup tie with Burnley. Rowden has submitted a report to Premier Rugby, which runs the top-flight professional club game in England, and the Rugby Football Union's refereeing hierarchy. Details have not been divulged - Rowden himself was in full "no comment" mode yesterday - but no one on the rugby side of the divide was happy at the chain of events.

London Irish, who have a groundshare agreement until 2010 and are negotiating an extension, are playing the diplomatic card, but there is no disguising the anger of those who believe the football club acted beyond its brief by demanding the game be postponed. Rowden, who made a 9.30am inspection, had legitimate concerns over the state of the surface and the prospect of more rain. He was more troubled by a feeling of being railroaded.

The FA Cup tie had been called off 10 minutes before kick-off the previous day, after which Steve Coppell, the Reading manager, expressed his displeasure at the continuing groundshare arrangement. "Obviously, I'd be happier if there wasn't a rugby club sharing the ground," he said. "You don't need a tremendous surface to play rugby, but you do need a fairly flat pitch, hopefully with a bit of grass on it, to play football." In other words, keep those rugger-buggers off my field.

Irrespective of what the Exiles may say in public, the incident will raise concerns over the nature of groundshare deals - over who holds primacy of tenure and how the relationship works when the two sports enter conflict-of-interest territory. Five Premiership teams - London Irish, Saracens, Wasps, Bristol and Sale - play their rugby at football stadiums (although Bristol's Memorial Ground is traditionally a union venue), and while each arrangement differs in its fine detail, there is widespread concern that football tells rugby what to do whenever it suits. There is even greater concern, particularly among the refereeing fraternity, that officials find themselves at the sharp end of such disputes.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Jan 2007 11:32

I think RFC might have opened a whole can of worms here

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 09 Jan 2007 11:36

They would also be in trouble with the planning authorities as they say the stadium is owned by Reading FC :shock:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 09 Jan 2007 11:40

Someone must be able to do a quick Companies House search and nail this properly.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 09 Jan 2007 11:42

For oxf*rd sake, if that match had of gone ahead then the pitch would have been utterly trashed. Making the likely hood of matches in the future having to be postponed several times more likely... this should be obvious. It was in the interest of the owners of the club AND Rugby Union that the match be delayed. Anything else is just short sighted nonsense.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 09 Jan 2007 11:42

M4 Junction 11 They would also be in trouble with the planning authorities as they say the stadium is owned by Reading FC :shock:

Who's "They"?

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 09 Jan 2007 11:45

Platypuss Someone must be able to do a quick Companies House search and nail this properly.

You mean like this?

Reading FC head office = At The Madjeski Stadium

Reading Football club holdings = The same

I have no idea what this stuff means though in terms of ownership. iF anything at all.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 09 Jan 2007 11:47

The pitch should be ok for tonight and it seems like we're going to get drizzle (according to wikipedia this is lighter than light rain :wink: )

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 57,00.html

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 09 Jan 2007 11:49

SpaceCruiser
John Madejski's Wallet

Contracts my friend, contracts. The law is the law and that is that. If the contract doesn't state that the stadium owners can stop a game (and it is highly unlikely that such a restrictive clause would be acceptable) then it can only be down to the authorities (RFU/FA or Police for example).

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 09 Jan 2007 11:53

SpaceCruiser
M4 Junction 11 They would also be in trouble with the planning authorities as they say the stadium is owned by Reading FC :shock:

Who's "They"?

Reading FC

141 posts