Fog

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 21 Dec 2006 13:37

Tony Le Mesmer
Warfield Royal When the Liverpool v Arsenal match was postponed was it solely down to the Referee?

Does anyone know of any rules are guidelines for a match to be postponed due to fog and does the Premier League have their own rules?

How bad should visibility be before YOU as a spectator would want the match postponed?

For a one off match affected by fog I would be happy as long as I could see 1 goal and half the pitch.

For fog the ref has to be able to see both goals from the Centre Spot.

I was at Tranmere in 1990 when you couldnt see the other end. It was great fun convinving the fans at the other end we were 1 0 up! It finished 0-0 apparentlly

I was at that game! A bizarre watching football when you cant see the whole pitch!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Dec 2006 13:38

Warfield Royal
RoyalBlue It's no longer that simple, as anyone who saw the lengthy interview with the ref who postponed the Liverpool V Arsenal game will know. Lots of factors taken into account including importance of game, whether supporters can actually see the game they've paid a lot of money to see, and whether his assistants can see well enough to make offside decisions.

If the Ref can see both ends from the centre spot then it is likely that the assistants can see across the pitch.

Likely maybe, but not always the case as you'd have found out had you seen the interview with the ref the other night. Yes, he could see both goals but pointed out that the fog was worse on one side of the ground and therefore he felt his assistants might not be able to see sufficiently well to make offside judgements. Also don't forget that, unless they rely totally on sound, the assistants also have to be able to see when the ball was last played in order to make judgements on offside.

susieroyal
Tony Le Mesmer
Warfield Royal When the Liverpool v Arsenal match was postponed was it solely down to the Referee?

Does anyone know of any rules are guidelines for a match to be postponed due to fog and does the Premier League have their own rules?

How bad should visibility be before YOU as a spectator would want the match postponed?

For a one off match affected by fog I would be happy as long as I could see 1 goal and half the pitch.

I was at Tranmere in 1990 when you couldnt see the other end. It was great fun convinving the fans at the other end we were 1 0 up! It finished 0-0 apparentlly

I was at that game! A bizarre watching football when you cant see the whole pitch!

Reminds me of that incident when a game was abandoned due to fog and one of the keepers stayed out on the pitch because he didn't realise the game had been called off!

Harps stay sharp

by Harps stay sharp » 21 Dec 2006 13:41

Tony Le Mesmer the fog is set to last til sunday.

has to be the possibility of the 1st game postponed at the Mad Stad due the weather

The forecast ive seen says the fog is set to lift tonight and apparently will be bright with scattered snow showers on Saturday!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 21 Dec 2006 13:48

Harps stay sharp
Tony Le Mesmer the fog is set to last til sunday.

has to be the possibility of the 1st game postponed at the Mad Stad due the weather

The forecast ive seen says the fog is set to lift tonight and apparently will be bright with scattered snow showers on Saturday!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3190

Harps stay sharp

by Harps stay sharp » 21 Dec 2006 13:55

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 21 Dec 2006 14:00

Pretty contradictory, but if this is 'Partly Cloudy' then I'm a monkey.
:lol:

WSRL

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 21 Dec 2006 14:03

The weather should be fine for the game on Saturday. I bloody hope it's on because im looking forward to it.

Pridders

by Pridders » 21 Dec 2006 14:03

I have just had a look on google earth and the Madstad looks clear of any fog at the moment.. Fingers crossed it stays that way for sat..

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 21 Dec 2006 14:03

The BBC are far more accurate - weather.com is a US site!

I'm no expert (where is Spacecruiser when you need him) but you only have to look at the pressure charts to see that the massive high presure is unlikely to budge for at least 4 days - which means no wind, and lots of fog.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Dec 2006 14:07

Tony Le Mesmer For fog the ref has to be able to see both goals from the Centre Spot.

I was there too. I must know you.

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 21 Dec 2006 14:07

Only one Trevor Morley The BBC are far more accurate - weather.com is a US site!

I'm no expert (where is Spacecruiser when you need him) but you only have to look at the pressure charts to see that the massive high presure is unlikely to budge for at least 4 days - which means no wind, and lots of fog.

D-Day is delayed by 24 hours :shock:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Dec 2006 14:08

Pridders I have just had a look on google earth and the Madstad looks clear of any fog at the moment.. Fingers crossed it stays that way for sat..

Isn't the image on there about six months old?

Pridders

by Pridders » 21 Dec 2006 14:13

Stranded
Pridders I have just had a look on google earth and the Madstad looks clear of any fog at the moment.. Fingers crossed it stays that way for sat..

Real time i belive, give me the post code of where you are now, go outside and wave up in the air, I'll zoom in and do a 'Print Scrn' then post it on here. (dont worry i'll blur your face out)

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 21 Dec 2006 14:16

Pridders
Stranded

Real time i belive, give me the post code of where you are now, go outside and wave up in the air, I'll zoom in and do a 'Print Scrn' then post it on here. (dont worry i'll blur your face out)
Bugger, got to get home as my house has been replaced with a field. Tried to call my neighbour but they must be outside, probably checking the bodywork on the Cortina he seems to have bought judging by the pictures.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Dec 2006 14:17

RoyalBlue Also don't forget that, unless they rely totally on sound, the assistants also have to be able to see when the ball was last played in order to make judgements on offside.

I thought they just guessed?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Dec 2006 14:19

susieroyal
Tony Le Mesmer

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 21 Dec 2006 14:21

It better not be blooming called off, I've just booked my ticket on the train from Chesterfield and back for the game.....blo**y living up north.....s***ing fog.......bah humbug :twisted:

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 21 Dec 2006 14:22

Royal With Cheese
susieroyal
Tony Le Mesmer

On the count of 3 we all start cheering, run around a bit, & then chant "1-0 1-0 1-0 1-0..." That should fool em.

Happy days :?

andyhalls

by andyhalls » 21 Dec 2006 14:26

RoyalBlue
Tony Le Mesmer

It's no longer that simple, as anyone who saw the lengthy interview with the ref who postponed the Liverpool V Arsenal game will know. Lots of factors taken into account including importance of game, whether supporters can actually see the game they've paid a lot of money to see, and whether his assistants can see well enough to make offside decisions.

At the end of the day, the referee's number one priority is the safety of the players, and if the referee feels this is at risk, then the game will be terminated, simple as that.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 21 Dec 2006 14:28

Good job our away game with Newcastle wasn't played last night as opposed to a few weeks earlier! All of us who had booked flights months in advance with BA from Heathrow would have been b*gger*d! Like some of Chelsea's directors and fans no doubt last night!