Steve Sidwell

151 posts
knights_1990

by knights_1990 » 12 Jan 2007 20:18

Sidwell stay please lets not break the reading squad

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 12 Jan 2007 20:24

Dirk Gently
zac naloen 4 straight losses for us, and 4 straight wins for say.. west ham and we could well end up in the relegation zone. Here's hoping the team perform ;)

Not quite - all that would mean is that West Ham are above us.

It'd need 4 straight losses for us and 1 win for Man City, Blackburn and Fulham; 2 wins from Villa, Newcastle & Boro; 3 wins from Sheffield Utd and Wigan and those 4 wins from West Ham.

Much less likely!

I didn't say I was being intelligent in my pessimism :P

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 12 Jan 2007 20:25

We can debate and debate as to whether he'll stay or not, but the ball is entirely in his court. I aplaud the club for sticking to the existing wage structure and back them 100% on this issue. If Sidwell is deluded enough to think that a top 4 club will come in for him then he really is an idiot.

If he does go to an average premiership team i.e Middlesborough, Man C etc then we will know that he is indeed a greedy git. If football is his main concern then he should stay, and I sincerely hope he sees sense and does stay.

Also, those that say he is irreplacable are worrying about nothing. I have absolutely no doubt that Sir Steve already has a replacement in mind should he go. Coppell is an extremely shrewd manager after all and I have every faith in his ability to suceed with or without Sidders. The reason replacements are not openly touted in the media is it would drive up their price tags. So stop worrying about him, after all NO player is bigger than the club!

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 12 Jan 2007 20:28

royals pete It shouldn't have come to this.

We have a terrific midfield when compared to a lot of other clubs.

Supporters are posting everywhere (take a look at Sheff U sites) for players to come in who WANT TO PLAY.

We already have those players. They don't grow on trees. And if anyone wantsa view of the true world...Pards is looking to offload Jimmy F Hassel as long as his new club can take over his wages...£30k a week !!
He doesn't score goals !

I believe we need to keep Sidds. Keep the TEAM and add to it slowly.

Yep, I would agree with that.

I understand some fans thinking Sids is holding us to ransome. We haven't often been in a position like this with a player, and it sure doesn't sit well. And yes, we have a wage structure.

Thing is, though, I think you also have to be flexible and deal with things on a case by case basis. Sometimes you find yourself negotiating from a position of strength, and sometimes you don't. And it seems to me that on this particular occasion, it just so happens that Sids is holding most of the aces. Like it or not, it is what it is...

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 12 Jan 2007 20:38

jumpers for goalposts We can debate and debate as to whether he'll stay or not, but the ball is entirely in his court. I aplaud the club for sticking to the existing wage structure and back them 100% on this issue. If Sidwell is deluded enough to think that a top 4 club will come in for him then he really is an idiot.

If he does go to an average premiership team i.e Middlesborough, Man C etc then we will know that he is indeed a greedy git. If football is his main concern then he should stay, and I sincerely hope he sees sense and does stay.

Also, those that say he is irreplacable are worrying about nothing. I have absolutely no doubt that Sir Steve already has a replacement in mind should he go. Coppell is an extremely shrewd manager after all and I have every faith in his ability to suceed with or without Sidders. The reason replacements are not openly touted in the media is it would drive up their price tags. So stop worrying about him, after all NO player is bigger than the club!

This post is entirely too well thought out and sensible to be on Hob Nob. Dumb down quickly Sir, or you will be banned by the Banality Nazis :lol:

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 12 Jan 2007 20:44

Binfield Royal
jumpers for goalposts We can debate and debate as to whether he'll stay or not, but the ball is entirely in his court. I aplaud the club for sticking to the existing wage structure and back them 100% on this issue. If Sidwell is deluded enough to think that a top 4 club will come in for him then he really is an idiot.

This post is entirely too well thought out and sensible to be on Hob Nob. Dumb down quickly Sir, or you will be banned by the Banality Nazis :lol:

I agree.

Wibble wibble

Regards
Ernest von Turnip

Amsterdam Royal

by Amsterdam Royal » 12 Jan 2007 21:17

Trust in Steve .....he has a replacement lined up for sure ......
NO one is bigger than the club is so true !!!!

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 12 Jan 2007 21:26

Coppell on 5 live just now said no one had called about Sidwell

worth reporting I suppose.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 12 Jan 2007 23:30

Denver Royal I understand some fans thinking Sids is holding us to ransome. We haven't often been in a position like this with a player, and it sure doesn't sit well. And yes, we have a wage structure.

Thing is, though, I think you also have to be flexible and deal with things on a case by case basis. Sometimes you find yourself negotiating from a position of strength, and sometimes you don't. And it seems to me that on this particular occasion, it just so happens that Sids is holding most of the aces. Like it or not, it is what it is...

We are also in a position of strength.

Sidwell is the only player of any note we have not managed to sign up on a long term contract and, guess what?

He isn't even close to being the only tough tackling midfielder of Premiership standard currently residing on planet earth :?

I can't believe we have so many silly supporters who think we should just cough up whatever ever figure Sidwell's greedy agent has dreampt up simply because it would cost more to replace him.

How would that make the likes of Shorey, Doyle and Sonko feel having commited themselves to this club for a whole lot less than Mr Greedy Bollox is demanding?

As I've said before, I'd prefer to lose Sidwell ahead of any of the afore mentioned.

In case anyone's forgotten, we've spent next to nothing on transfer fees since we were promoted and should have sufficients funds available to replace a midfielder who wouldn't be guaranteed a start for at least half the teams in this division.

Frankly, I'm growing pig sick of the whole sorry saga as one player's "Big I am" stance contrasts so markedly with the desire of every other member of this squad to remain part of what they have achieved.

If Steve Sidwell isn't happy to settle for the same wage that saw Kevin Doyle commit to this club for the next 3 years, he can walk in the summer as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, I think it's getting close to the time when Rfc needs to take the initiative.

If it's clear that Sidwell isn't going to put pen to payer this month, we should up our search to find someone who is.

That might leave Sidwell weighing up his options on some far away beach with RFC not being one of them.......................How does that sound, Steve?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jan 2007 23:38

guess Sir steve and Nick H.....already have had it sussed since August.

The day that we pay a player more in a week, than I earn in a year is the day that I watch my football at Scours Lane

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 12 Jan 2007 23:38

Woodcote Royal If Steve Sidwell isn't happy to settle for the same wage that saw Kevin Doyle commit to this club for the next 3 years, he can walk in the summer as far as I'm concerned.

Just a second - we have absolutely NO idea what Doyle is now getting following his THIRD contract deal in 18 months.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 12 Jan 2007 23:42

Agreed, but does anyone thinks it's more than Sidwell wants?

Either way, I'm still happy with my stance......................I don't think Sidwell currently commands any more than Kevin Doyle.

retro royal

by retro royal » 13 Jan 2007 00:50

Sidwell is on his way back to Arsenal, end of story.

To me this is like the Pardew/Coppell situation, some thought Pardew was god (I was actually pleased when he left and Coppell came in) I think were find a better player to play CM and all will be forgotten.

I would love it if Sidwell stays as he is one of the main part of the team that have taken us through the divisions and has proven he can do himself justice at this level

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 13 Jan 2007 03:51

Platypuss
Woodcote Royal If Steve Sidwell isn't happy to settle for the same wage that saw Kevin Doyle commit to this club for the next 3 years, he can walk in the summer as far as I'm concerned.

Just a second - we have absolutely NO idea what Doyle is now getting following his THIRD contract deal in 18 months.

Heh...I was wondering when someone might have the balls to raise a flag over Doyle's contract(s). I thought when the latest one was torn up there might be some backlash in here. As in, who does he think he is, what must all the other players be thinking, he's being greedy, he signed a contract and he should stick to it, etc.

But instead there's one big orgasm over how loyal Mr. Doyle is to us (even though - unlike Sids - Doyle has only been here a season or two). Of course, the reason we felt the need to re-do his deal (again) is because Doyle has leverage (gasp!) and he maybe isn't quite as loyal to us and some would like to believe.

A lot of what this fan reaction and attitude boils down to is the fact that Doyle is more popular with the fans than Sidwell is and thus, a lot of objectivity goes out the window. I swear Doyle could be offered yet another improved contract in a few months time and some people still wouldn't blink an eye :lol:

LumpWarden

by LumpWarden » 13 Jan 2007 04:41

Denver Royal
Platypuss

Heh...I was wondering when someone might have the balls to raise a flag over Doyle's contract(s). I thought when the latest one was torn up there might be some backlash in here. As in, who does he think he is, what must all the other players be thinking, he's being greedy, he signed a contract and he should stick to it, etc.

But instead there's one big orgasm over how loyal Mr. Doyle is to us (even though - unlike Sids - Doyle has only been here a season or two). Of course, the reason we felt the need to re-do his deal (again) is because Doyle has leverage (gasp!) and he maybe isn't quite as loyal to us and some would like to believe.

A lot of what this fan reaction and attitude boils down to is the fact that Doyle is more popular with the fans than Sidwell is and thus, a lot of objectivity goes out the window. I swear Doyle could be offered yet another improved contract in a few months time and some people still wouldn't blink an eye :lol:
:shock:

The guy's having a fantastic season, hitting all the headlines, raising interest from other clubs; If we were to put a price on every member of the squad, he'd undoubtedly be our most valuable asset.

The club have moved to protect that asset by offering him an improved deal.

Kevin Doyle has accepted and signed that new deal without the slightest bit of fuss. I think it's a measure of the guy that he doesn't employ money grabbing agents and is still advised soley by his ex manager at Cork City.

I think you're way out of line with the implication that Doyles been greedy here. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 13 Jan 2007 06:32

But you think Sidwell has been greedy, right? :wink:

Hey, I'm a big fan of Doyle. But he's been here barely 18 months and has had, at last count, 3 different contracts so far. Not sure what all the other players are thinking, but Doyle must feel like he's found the pot at the end of the rainbow. This despite 'nobody being bigger than the club' and this despite all of our 'strict club policies and rules regarding contracts'...and yet the notion that he might have been just a little greedy is somehow viewed as being way out of line. Nobody knows what Doyle is being paid or what he and his agent asked for during their latest round of negotiations. In the process, Doyle is hailed as a truly wonderful guy and an example to all.

And at the same time we have a player who's been a loyal servant here for many years, he sees out his contract, and then he's labeled a greedy git, all day every day in here for several months, and yet people are totally okay with that slandering and there's nothing 'way out of line' about it at all.

(Be that as it may, I don't think its so much about greed anyway. Its more about players leveraging their position in what is, after all, a business).

But when you have people basically saying 'I don't know what Doyle is making and I don't care. But however much he's making is just fine and dandy with me. But oh, I care very much indeed about what Steve Sidwell will be making, because I don't like him and I think he's a greedy bastard!' then I sense some double standards there. One guy seems to get total free rein, while another is raked over the coals. That seems just a tad inconsistent to me. Oh well...
Last edited by Denver Royal on 13 Jan 2007 08:18, edited 4 times in total.

International Royal

by International Royal » 13 Jan 2007 06:34

Denver Royal
Platypuss

Doyle is a different issue. It's like a house, you may say what it's worth but at the end of the day it's worth what someone is willing to pay - just like anything. We now know that someone (Villa) is willing to pay 5 million for Doyle. He is our biggest asset. Sidwell isn't worth that much even allowing for his contractual status.

I do believe that Sidwell deserves to be at the top end of the pay scale. However Reading should not break the club pay scale to keep him. No one is bigger than the club.

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 13 Jan 2007 10:00

Denver Royal Doyle must feel like he's found the pot at the end of the rainbow.

Racist.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 13 Jan 2007 10:05

Denver Royal But you think Sidwell has been greedy, right? :wink:

Hey, I'm a big fan of Doyle. But he's been here barely 18 months and has had, at last count, 3 different contracts so far. Not sure what all the other players are thinking, but Doyle must feel like he's found the pot at the end of the rainbow. This despite 'nobody being bigger than the club' and this despite all of our 'strict club policies and rules regarding contracts'...and yet the notion that he might have been just a little greedy is somehow viewed as being way out of line. Nobody knows what Doyle is being paid or what he and his agent asked for during their latest round of negotiations. In the process, Doyle is hailed as a truly wonderful guy and an example to all.

And at the same time we have a player who's been a loyal servant here for many years, he sees out his contract, and then he's labeled a greedy git, all day every day in here for several months, and yet people are totally okay with that slandering and there's nothing 'way out of line' about it at all.

(Be that as it may, I don't think its so much about greed anyway. Its more about players leveraging their position in what is, after all, a business).

But when you have people basically saying 'I don't know what Doyle is making and I don't care. But however much he's making is just fine and dandy with me. But oh, I care very much indeed about what Steve Sidwell will be making, because I don't like him and I think he's a greedy bastard!' then I sense some double standards there. One guy seems to get total free rein, while another is raked over the coals. That seems just a tad inconsistent to me. Oh well...

So you think Doyle has dragged the Club kicking and screaming, held them to ransom because he wanted 3 contracts?

Idiot.
What are you on about?

The Club decides to pay who they want to, if they approach a player that they want to keep, THEY OFFER A CONTRACT.
Doyle's first contract was a small one in comparison to his goals and performances, so he was offered another one.
This year he has raised the bar again and the club offered another contract which they felt would reward his goals and performances, Doyle accepted.
The difference between Doyle's 1st and 3rd contracts is obviously a lot, but don't you think he deserves it?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 13 Jan 2007 10:31

Denver Royal But you think Sidwell has been greedy, right? :wink:

Doyle doesn't have an agent. He has been taking advice from folk back in Ireland but I think you'll find he's accepted basically just what the club have offered him.

Given that RFC have been the driving force behind the new contract negotiations I would imagine that he is being paid within the club wage structure.

Sidwell on the other hand has (rightly or wrongly - I can't make my mind up) attempted to get a deal outside the existing structure.

In view of our league position and the likelihood of additional revenue that wage structure may have changed. Hopefully Sidwells demands can be accommodated.

151 posts