Mate wants a permanent deal

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

Mate wants a permanent deal

by gazzer, loyal royal » 19 Jan 2007 16:48

Peter Mate remains determined to win a permanent stay at Reading, despite having played just once since joining the club from Debrecen in the summer.

The Hungary Under 21 international enjoyed the perfect debut when he scored against Darlington in the Carling Cup in September, but not long after and a torn cruciate ligament curtailed his season.

Mate is on loan at Reading for the duration of this season, with a view to winning a permanent three-year deal, but the player is willing to concede that the best he is likely to be offered is a one-year contract.

Desperate to stay in England beyond the current campaign, Mate insists he is doing everything he can to convince Steve Coppell he is worthy of having a second chance at The Madejski Stadium.

"I had surgery last October in England and after the operation I was focusing on the rehabilitation and developing my English so as to prove to the club and to Steve Coppell that I'm doing my very best to stay at Reading," Mate told Nemzeti Sport.

"I've been learning the language, doing fitness exercises, riding my bicycle and doing running-like movements in the swimming pool.

"I'm not impatient. My team-mates keep supporting me, especially James Harper, who is a real friend of mine. I think the worst days are behind me. My trainer told me 'we're on the right way'. I'm optimistic that this period will be ended soon.

"Steve Coppell makes changes only in case of injuries or bad form from his team which won promotion last year. I was told that our manager used to be an excellent footballer, but I can confirm that he's a first-class trainer and psychologist as well. When I'm asked what is the secret of Reading I just say, 'this team is like a family and this makes us very strong on the pitch'.

"He (Steve Coppell) asks me about my health week by week and also checks how my English has been developing. He makes me feel that I shall be a wanted player by him in the future, so I know, it's only up to me if I will be able to get into the first team when I am ready to play."

fair play to the bloke, would have liked to see more of him, was nervous to say the least against Darlington, and came into the game more

might get another season on loan?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 19 Jan 2007 16:51

Again, fair play and I hope he recovers and does well here.

silas
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by silas » 19 Jan 2007 16:53

Such bad luck for the lad but I think the decision not to send him back to Debrecan confirmed that he still has a part to play at the club, even if its not this season.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 19 Jan 2007 16:54

Can't fault his effort in his recovery and also his desire to do what he can to stay at Reading.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 19 Jan 2007 16:54

AND WE'LL DO IT FOR PETER MATE
WE'LL WIN THE LEAGUE AT EWOOD PARK

WE'LL WIN THE LEAGUE.......

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 19 Jan 2007 17:00

...AT EWOOD PARK!!
WE'LL WIN THE LEAGUE AT EWOOD PARK!!
AND WE'LL DO IT FOR PETER MATE!!

WE'LL WIN THE LEAGUE...!!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 19 Jan 2007 17:02

handbags_harris ...AT EWOOD PARK!!

WE'LL WIN THE LEAGUE

AT EWOOD PARK

(AT EWOOD PARK)

WE'LL WIN THE LEAGUE....

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 19 Jan 2007 17:03

Coppell's hardly going to let him go.
So either a small fee or another season-long loan deal would be fine.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 19 Jan 2007 17:16

Alan Partridge

WE'LL WIN THE LEAGUE

AT EWOOD PARK

(AT EWOOD PARK)

WE'LL WIN THE LEAGUE....

...AT EWOOD PARK!!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 19 Jan 2007 17:17

Big Ern
Alan Partridge

WE'LL WIN THE LEAGUE

AT EWOOD PARK

(AT EWOOD PARK)

WE'LL WIN THE LEAGUE....

...AT EWOOD PARK!!

(WE'LL WIN THE LEAGUE)

AT EWOOD PARK

(AT EWOOD PARK)

WE'LL WIN THE LEAGUE....

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 19 Jan 2007 17:35

Perfect debut? yes he scored a goal but i thought he was rubbish, but i spose you can't judge on 1 game. Good luck to the guy his attitude seems good and thats halfway to making a 'Reading' type player.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 19 Jan 2007 18:30

at Park Ewood

Mate Peter it for do it and

igoe agogo

by igoe agogo » 19 Jan 2007 21:57

Well he's my mate and I will stand by him.

knights_1990

by knights_1990 » 19 Jan 2007 22:45

its hard luck i hope he can bounce back

peeping_bernal

by peeping_bernal » 19 Jan 2007 23:00

Fair play to him, he could of easily gone back home and we would never of heard of him again but he has stayed with the blessing of the club. At such a young age on your own in a strange country it was be very hard but he has used his time wisely instead of been deoressed and I think it will make him a better player, more mature. lets just hope he can deliver for us long term.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jan 2007 23:02

I thought he sounded like a top player when we brought him over and was really dissapointed to hear about his injury. Think him and Bikey both have the potential to get deals with us. Just depends how January goes really.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 19 Jan 2007 23:05

Ian Royal I thought he sounded like a top player when we brought him over and was really dissapointed to hear about his injury. Think him and Bikey both have the potential to get deals with us. Just depends how January goes really.

Agreed. I didn't go to the Darlo game, but having seen Bikey a couple of times, I think that there's a lot there, esp in midfield. With fine-tuning, his distribution could be fantastic.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 19 Jan 2007 23:05

Ian Royal I thought he sounded like a top player when we brought him over and was really dissapointed to hear about his injury. Think him and Bikey both have the potential to get deals with us. Just depends how January goes really.

I know they are young but I disagree, I think we were short on bodies with the season closing in and had wasted all our time on Mensah. Coppell knew we were short and picked up the two lads he had seen or heard a bit about. Bikey having been sent off on trial i really can't see Coppell wanting him as a main target.

Having seen both, albeit Mate very briefly, neither have done enough to suggest they are better than what we have. I would be VERY surprised if we went for either of them.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jan 2007 23:12

Alan Partridge

I know they are young but I disagree, I think we were short on bodies with the season closing in and had wasted all our time on Mensah. Coppell knew we were short and picked up the two lads he had seen or heard a bit about. Bikey having been sent off on trial i really can't see Coppell wanting him as a main target.

Having seen both, albeit Mate very briefly, neither have done enough to suggest they are better than what we have. I would be VERY surprised if we went for either of them.

I'll admit I've not seen either play live as far as I recall and my opinion is based on gut instinct, but I feel they are both players who in a year or so could be really good for us. They may end up being shit, but I think their both worth the effort given they won't cost much. But then if we pick up a quality CM or CB in particular in January then I would say they are almost certianly doomed.

Bikey's main problem seems to be cards, but I think that can be resolved, I'd say he's been a little unlucky so far. Sodje and Halls are the defenders that I see as being the most surplus to requirements. At least Bikey and Mate are young and still adjusting to the English game. Sodje just strikes me as a decent Championship player.

I got the same feeling about Sonko when he arrived. But then I thought Goater was great signing. Although I still don't accept he was as bad as many claim so hey ho.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 19 Jan 2007 23:26

Ian Royal
Alan Partridge

I'll admit I've not seen either play live as far as I recall and my opinion is based on gut instinct, but I feel they are both players who in a year or so could be really good for us. They may end up being shit, but I think their both worth the effort given they won't cost much. But then if we pick up a quality CM or CB in particular in January then I would say they are almost certianly doomed.

Bikey's main problem seems to be cards, but I think that can be resolved, I'd say he's been a little unlucky so far. Sodje and Halls are the defenders that I see as being the most surplus to requirements. At least Bikey and Mate are young and still adjusting to the English game. Sodje just strikes me as a decent Championship player.

I got the same feeling about Sonko when he arrived. But then I thought Goater was great signing. Although I still don't accept he was as bad as many claim so hey ho.

I think Bikey is much better in the middle of midfield, I would agree totally that he has been very unlucky with some of the cards he's got. He was bought as a centre half and hasn't had a good game in the defence for Reading. Halls has been the biggest disappointment in years, he was class at Stoke and just plain ass here. Again agreed on Sodje. Sonko was 23 and on a free he also had 18months learning the game, and improving his game in the Championship, Sodje is 27/28 and has never played above League 1, it shows. He's not good enough.

Maté was extremely poor against Darlo, I think it's unfair to judge someone on one game especially as he hasn't played in ENgland and can't speak much English but you cans till look at raw attributes, he turned like the the QE2, had very little pace and for such a big bloke he looked frightened to head the ball. It is a shame that he got injured, maybe he might stay on loan maybe similar for Bikey but I can't see us paying money for either of them. They aren't better than what we have.