Robin Friday

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 23 Feb 2007 13:18

I actually met the man at some function my dad took me to.

As a player I was in awe of him but I had heard of his reputation and was scared sh*tless.

I was only about 10 at the time.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Feb 2007 13:23

LUX
(don't worry readers, I'm happy now too)

Phew! For a split second you had me worried.

wealdstone away

Robin Friday

by wealdstone away » 23 Feb 2007 14:27

He was the best by far - I just wish their was more film of him so people could see for themselves - do you remember his laps of honour when he scored? He was hard, incredibly skillful, brilliant in the air, had great vision and was a fine finisher.

I was only ten when I first saw him play - but even then, I knew that this guy was something else - and the incredible thing was that he was playing for Reading!

Happy days but what about now - what a manager, what a chairman, what a team, what a squad, what support home and away, I'm almost glad that Lovell missed the penalty at Wembley when I see where we are now..... :x :? :shock: :o :D

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 23 Feb 2007 14:33

brendywendy
Scarface
Pants of Primus Of course you're entitled to your opinion. I just think that calling someone's dead father a 'nasty little pikey waster' (when you didn't even know the guy) is a little harsh. That's all.

Unfortunately if you speak to people that were around at the time, that is exactly what he was.

which people?

apart from some twat who was going on about his family running a pub at the time and having to throw him out alot

I'm guessing that twat would be me.
Various parts of my family have run pubs round Reading for over 50yrs and no-one i've ever spoken to in the trade who ran pubs at the time had a nice word to say about him (aside from his obvious talent).

People are entitled to their opinions. Mine are engrained by my family's dislike of him. I haven't come on here slagging his talent, just him as a man.

I'm entitled to my opinion that his is not worthy of the hero worship. The same way I am entitled to think that Best & Gazza were utter tw*tters who p*ssed away God-given talents the rest of us could kill for. There are people far more worthy of praise that have played, or are playing at our club. (and i'm not talking a footy skill comparison).

The wonderful thing about a free society is that you are fully entitled to hero worship p*ss head wasters. The same way I am entitled to look up to, and respect, men like De La Cruz who spends all his money providing running water, clinics and schooling for the impoverished people in the home town in the Andes. Good luck to you.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 23 Feb 2007 14:37

SpaceCruiser
Riseley The greatest player to ever wear the hoops. As per normal anyone who does not agree with me is obviously a numpty by default.

What about those who doesn't either agree or disagree with you on account of never having seen the player in action?
You need to have watched Reading FC for at least thirty years + to have a VALID opinion on R Friday. You, I am afraid to say Spacey, register highly on the (sponsored by Woodcote Royal) numptyometer.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 23 Feb 2007 14:40

John Madejski's Wallet
brendywendy
Scarface
Pants of Primus Of course you're entitled to your opinion. I just think that calling someone's dead father a 'nasty little pikey waster' (when you didn't even know the guy) is a little harsh. That's all.

Unfortunately if you speak to people that were around at the time, that is exactly what he was.

which people?

apart from some twat who was going on about his family running a pub at the time and having to throw him out alot

Various parts of my family have run pubs round Reading for over 50yrs and no-one i've ever spoken to in the trade who ran pubs at the time had a nice word to say about him (aside from his obvious talent).

People are entitled to their opinions. Mine are engrained by my family's dislike of him. I haven't come on here slagging his talent, just him as a man.

I'm entitled to my opinion that his is not worthy of the hero worship. The same way I am entitled to think that Best & Gazza were utter tw*tters who p*ssed away God-given talents the rest of us could kill for. There are people far more worthy of praise that have played, or are playing at our club. (and i'm not talking a footy skill comparison).

The wonderful thing about a free society is that you are fully entitled to hero worship p*ss head wasters. The same way I am entitled to look up to, and respect, men like De La Cruz who spends all his money providing running water, clinics and schooling for the impoverished people in the home town in the Andes. Good luck to you.

Didn't this thread start with someone innocently asking if anyone had any footage of him PLAYING FOOTBALL? No one asked to see footage of him being a drunk tw@t.

It really does get very boring when every time some mentions Robin Friday you pop up telling us what a horrible person he was.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 23 Feb 2007 14:45

Seal It really does get very boring when every time some mentions Robin Friday you pop up telling us what a horrible person he was.

Well next time entitle the thread "Robin Friday W*nk-Off Thread - No Other Opinions Allowed".

I put in one line which sums up my feelings about him. No-one has to reply, and i'm perfectly entitled to. Or if you want we can all just say the same thing and stop free discussion in it's tracks.

While we're at it, who else should I love and loath? Just so I can tow the party line in future

Gotta love a free society :roll:

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 23 Feb 2007 14:49

John Madejski's Wallet
Seal It really does get very boring when every time some mentions Robin Friday you pop up telling us what a horrible person he was.

Well next time entitle the thread "Robin Friday W*nk-Off Thread - No Other Opinions Allowed".

I put in one line which sums up my feelings about him. No-one has to reply, and i'm perfectly entitled to. Or if you want we can all just say the same thing and stop free discussion in it's tracks.

While we're at it, who else should I love and loath? Just so I can tow the party line in future

Um, not quite sure what any of this has to do with a 'free society'. No one's threatening to send you to prison for your viewpoint, merely pointing out that repeating the same thing over and over gets a bit boring.

While you're at at, apparently Andy Hughes once annoyed the management in the Monks Retreat so feel free to loathe him too.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 23 Feb 2007 14:51

Seal repeating the same thing over and over gets a bit boring.

What you mean is "repeating something that is anathema to our beliefs". Because of course there is no repitition in the endless threads about how amazing he was and how we should all be proud :roll:

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 23 Feb 2007 14:56

John Madejski's Wallet

What you mean is "repeating something that is anathema to our beliefs". Because of course there is no repitition in the endless threads about how amazing he was and how we should all be proud :roll:

No.

I didn't see Robin Friday play, and like the author of this thread would love the opportunity to see him in action. I didn't vote for him as our greatest ever player for this reason, I have nothing to judge him on.

I have NO interest in finding out more about him being a drunk loser in a number of Reading pubs.

No beliefs involved, no agendas. Simply very bored by someone hijacking a thread to yet again talk about his drinking habits when all people were interested in was seeing him play.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Feb 2007 14:57

John Madejski's Wallet

You have just about as much right to your opinion as Oliver Holt. :wink:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 23 Feb 2007 15:08

Seal No beliefs involved, no agendas. Simply very bored by someone hijacking a thread to yet again talk about his drinking habits when all people were interested in was seeing him play.

No thread hijacking involved. Simply making a statement, if someone wants to pick it up and run with it, its entirely up to them. And there was plenty of discussion going on that mentioned non-footballing aspects.

Each to their own in this world

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Feb 2007 15:11

Riseley
SpaceCruiser
Riseley The greatest player to ever wear the hoops. As per normal anyone who does not agree with me is obviously a numpty by default.

What about those who doesn't either agree or disagree with you on account of never having seen the player in action?
You need to have watched Reading FC for at least thirty years + to have a VALID opinion on R Friday. You, I am afraid to say Spacey, register highly on the (sponsored by Woodcote Royal) numptyometer.

Thanks for making it clear. So everybody who has been supporting Reading for less than 30 years is automatically a numpty.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Feb 2007 15:20

John Madejski's Wallet
brendywendy
Scarface

which people?

A lot of them were still happy to take his money off him though!

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 23 Feb 2007 15:24

RoyalBlue A lot of them were still happy to take his money off him though!

Not really he was barred from many of them!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Feb 2007 15:51

John Madejski's Wallet
brendywendy
Scarface

which people?

The same way I am entitled to look up to, and respect, men like De La Cruz who spends all his money providing running water, clinics and schooling for the impoverished people in the home town in the Andes. Good luck to you.

apologies for the tw@t, uncalled for

didnt know you were here!

Doyler

by Doyler » 23 Feb 2007 17:12

Seal
John Madejski's Wallet

No.

I didn't see Robin Friday play, and like the author of this thread would love the opportunity to see him in action. I didn't vote for him as our greatest ever player for this reason, I have nothing to judge him on.

I have NO interest in finding out more about him being a drunk loser in a number of Reading pubs.

No beliefs involved, no agendas. Simply very bored by someone hijacking a thread to yet again talk about his drinking habits when all people were interested in was seeing him play.
Too right had I been around to see him at the time I wouldn't have given a toss what he did in his private life just as long as he performed on matchdays. After all, as football fans, that is what we are concerned about, footballers playing football, that is what matters.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 23 Feb 2007 17:31

SpaceCruiser
Riseley
SpaceCruiser

Thanks for making it clear. So everybody who has been supporting Reading for less than 30 years is automatically a numpty.

Only if they live in Exeter and play hockey.

newbiscuit

by newbiscuit » 23 Feb 2007 21:08

papereyes
newbiscuit
John Madejski's Wallet He was a nasty, little pikey waster.

Yes he had buckets of talent but he doesn't deserve the worship

ATTITUDE PROBLEM ALERT! I think you should check yourself out! What do you mean by 'Pikey'? is that because you think Robin was a Gypsy? isn't that akin to calling an Afro/carribean person 'A Nigger' or an Asian 'A Paki'. I wish sc*m like you would keep off this website.

I like the way you've filtered scum and not the other two words.

The other two words are in context and not directed personally. All i was doing was pointing out that we have arrogance and secterianism on the website. The word scum was not used. The admin would not allow any of this post if it was incorrect.

Gordon Cummings....... Bless him? Whats that supposed to mean?

newbiscuit

by newbiscuit » 23 Feb 2007 21:15

John Madejski's Wallet

Yes you are entitled to your own opinions, but please feed your own mind. You have already stated that you didn't know the man, and have only heard about him from your family. That tells us a lot. Your location also tells us a lot about you too, and probably just about sums you up!