Reserves vs Pompey

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 07 Mar 2007 23:38

Adrian's Fool How many fans there tonight?

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 07 Mar 2007 23:52

shadesrwrf Seol's assist was sublime.

Yes, LOL at the guy behind us calling Seol a "waste of space" seconds before the assists.

He did take some stick from those around him...

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 08 Mar 2007 06:53

What a great game to watch last night, some fantastic attacking football on show, Sodje was brilliant, his defending and attacking play was so good, although should have had a hatrick, Seol was also good, skinned the youthful pompy side all night and set up two of the goals.
Halford showed some good distribution from the center and also put in some good tackles.
Shane Long kept running all night, and two good goals from him, be it the second was very lucky!

The only moan of the night was the quality of the opposition, is that really all pompy can offer?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Mar 2007 09:39

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Vision FWIW i think he's got all the attributes to be a central midfielder. He's tall,athletic,strong running and has pretty potent long range shooting ability so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could be very good there. The reserves is as good a place as any to find out at this stage.

without wishing to be picky, I'd have thought being a good passer, tackler, and having the vision to create are rather more important attributes than being tall, athletic and strong. Bas Savage was all those things, and it hardly helped him play centre midfield.

To be fair to Bas he actually looked very good in the centre of midfield when he played there for the stiffs.

Sounds like another waste of a fixture last night with Pompey putting a poor side out. My hopes where for a better standard reserve league this season but it turns out to be just as bad as playing the likes of Crawley, Woking and Aldershot.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 08 Mar 2007 09:47

Hoop Blah
Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Vision FWIW i think he's got all the attributes to be a central midfielder. He's tall,athletic,strong running and has pretty potent long range shooting ability so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could be very good there. The reserves is as good a place as any to find out at this stage.

without wishing to be picky, I'd have thought being a good passer, tackler, and having the vision to create are rather more important attributes than being tall, athletic and strong. Bas Savage was all those things, and it hardly helped him play centre midfield.

To be fair to Bas he actually looked very good in the centre of midfield when he played there for the stiffs.

Sounds like another waste of a fixture last night with Pompey putting a poor side out. My hopes where for a better standard reserve league this season but it turns out to be just as bad as playing the likes of Crawley, Woking and Aldershot.

Yup, been a problem since the inception of the Premier League Academies. 99% of teams play their U18's at reserve games as well as Academy games. The only first teamers that get a shout are those recovering from injury or that need a bit of extra training.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 08 Mar 2007 10:23

Glen Little's Nose I thought Halford looked really useful in Central midfield - long and short passing was good and what I really liked was the times he nicked the ball with his toe - reminded me of Vieira in his prime :D

Can't help but think that Halford is being lined up as a long term replacement for Sidwell now that its likely he is going to go.........

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Mar 2007 10:46

Diddyroyal The only moan of the night was the quality of the opposition, is that really all pompy can offer?

Yes it was, unless we were going to fly out to Dubai to play the match.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Mar 2007 12:02

coppells mindgames with seol paying off already?

we'll have to see what effect it has on team selection next week

doylefan

by doylefan » 08 Mar 2007 12:08

good game last night and v nice to see that we are now 5 points clear of the chelsea!!! :)

Was impressed by Halford (great first goal for the club), Bennett, Sodje, DLC, Cox and Long (who kept running all night and unlucky not to get a hatrick)

MOTM - Sodje, was everywhere he needed to be

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Mar 2007 12:49

doylefan good game last night and v nice to see that we are now 5 points clear of the chelsea!!! :)

Was impressed by Halford (great first goal for the club), Bennett, Sodje, DLC, Cox and Long (who kept running all night and unlucky not to get a hatrick)

MOTM - Sodje, was everywhere he needed to be

That just sums up how little can be drawn from last night performance in relation to a players ability to play in the Premiership.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Mar 2007 14:35

or it could mean that sodje has improved his game in a new position and is starting to make an impact

either one could be true

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Mar 2007 15:11

brendywendy or it could mean that sodje has improved his game in a new position and is starting to make an impact

either one could be true

I know which one is more realistic though!

Petercccccc

by Petercccccc » 08 Mar 2007 15:33

Hoop Blah
brendywendy or it could mean that sodje has improved his game in a new position and is starting to make an impact

either one could be true

Your right Coppell barely ever makes a bad signing.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Mar 2007 15:58

Petercccccc
Hoop Blah

either one could be true

Your right Coppell barely ever makes a bad signing.

if coppell sees something thats worth perservering for, then i have every faith that he will improve and make an impact on the squad, or be shipped out.
Last edited by brendywendy on 08 Mar 2007 17:13, edited 1 time in total.

Glen Little's Nose
Location: Watching Adam Miller dive nose first into the West Stand!

by Glen Little's Nose » 08 Mar 2007 18:20

Should also have mentioned Alan Bennett - the new Inga, unfussed and totally reliable with 100% concentration.