Royals ready to pay for Bikey?

121 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Mar 2007 15:10

Just as a comparison, Blackburn picked up Christopher Samba, who has looked very impressive in the couple of games I've seen them play, for nothing in January.

At £1.5M I still think we can find a player that will represent better value AND, most importantly, improve the current squad more than Bikey but if Coppell thinks otherwise then so be it.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 16 Mar 2007 15:12

Hoop Blah Just as a comparison, Blackburn picked up Christopher Samba, who has looked very impressive in the couple of games I've seen them play, for nothing in January.

Sometimes you get lucky with a signing, just like we did with Doyle (and Long to a lesser extent). However getting good players for very little money does not happen that often, and unfortunately when it comes to free transfers we will be a long way down the pecking order in terms of attracting the best ones.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Mar 2007 15:14

Hoop Blah Just as a comparison, Blackburn picked up Christopher Samba, who has looked very impressive in the couple of games I've seen them play...

Supporters of other clubs have said much the same about Bikey in the last 3 months.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Mar 2007 15:34

Wycombe Royal
Hoop Blah Just as a comparison, Blackburn picked up Christopher Samba, who has looked very impressive in the couple of games I've seen them play, for nothing in January.

Sometimes you get lucky with a signing, just like we did with Doyle (and Long to a lesser extent). However getting good players for very little money does not happen that often, and unfortunately when it comes to free transfers we will be a long way down the pecking order in terms of attracting the best ones.

Yep, totally agree. It's always a gamble signing any player, and we've had our fair share of results from bargin basement finds but I was just pointing out the possibility that at £1.5m he isn't quite a bargin.

Royal Rother
Hoop Blah Just as a comparison, Blackburn picked up Christopher Samba, who has looked very impressive in the couple of games I've seen them play...

Supporters of other clubs have said much the same about Bikey in the last 3 months.

Have they?

To be fair it wouldn't surprise me because he's the sort of defender that looks good on highlights, but Samba has impressed me in the live games I've watched, despite a few hairy moments which remind me much more of Sonko than Bikey does.

East Stand Royal 500

by East Stand Royal 500 » 16 Mar 2007 15:45

Wycombe Royal Sometimes you get lucky with a signing, just like we did with Doyle (and Long to a lesser extent). However getting good players for very little money does not happen that often, and unfortunately when it comes to free transfers we will be a long way down the pecking order in terms of attracting the best ones.

In that case SC must be the luckiest manager alive! How much did it cost to put the current squad together (ignoring the most recent signings)?

I disagree. It was not good luck but good scouting in the places where others don't think of looking because they don't expect to find quality outside the big clubs. If there's no competition for your targets you can pick up bargains.

Coppell & Co - carry on as you were! I'd rather trust your judgement than some of the posters on this thread.

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 16 Mar 2007 16:55

A good bit of business me thinks!

1.5 million for a young talented international player who is already settled and getting better by the game?

that is a bargin in todays market!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Mar 2007 23:49

Looking at games such as Villa, Man City and even Liverpool in the Carling Cup I think the potential is there. £1.5m is a decent enough price although I thought the alleged agreed fee was closer to £1m.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 Mar 2007 00:08

1.5 mill??

No.

750k TOPS.

I still get very nervous when he's playing.

Not saying he can't improve, but I don't think splashing out is wise on him.

And 1.5 might not seem a lot, but it'll be our joint 2nd highest spend.

However, if Coppell thinks he's worth 10 million, then I agree.

In Coppell we trust.

Bristol Royalz

by Bristol Royalz » 17 Mar 2007 00:13

Bikey in a one on one where he doesn´t have to think about position is strong.

But he is many red cards in waiting

1) Positioning is poor gets behind and when behind always pulls at the shirt.

2) Is rash

I´m in the category of better available

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 17 Mar 2007 00:33

If we don't sign him up, would anyone else in the Prem look at him?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 17 Mar 2007 01:38

Not long ago, I didn't think we'd go above 750k to get his signature but this just shows how fast he is improving.

Consistency is one of the most common failings in young players but this seems lost on so many Reading fans, and might go some way to explaining our appalling record for getting youth players into the first team.

Bikey has had some very good games, plus a few he would like to forget :?

But, even at £1.5m, he could yet prove to be one of Steve Coppell's bargain basement finds of the season.

As others have said, if Coppell thinks he's worth the money, that's good enough for me.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 17 Mar 2007 09:58, edited 2 times in total.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 17 Mar 2007 04:07

I think 1.5m is too much, he has not stood out, has the faults that others have pointed out, and might improve with quality coaching, but to be worth 1.5m will only be after SC and co have improved his game, so RFC would be adding value, lets not over pay for any player.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 17 Mar 2007 08:51

I really think that we have signed to many defenders, bennet, doobs and now bikey probably!

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 17 Mar 2007 08:54

The 17 Bus I think 1.5m is too much, he has not stood out, has the faults that others have pointed out, and might improve with quality coaching, but to be worth 1.5m will only be after SC and co have improved his game, so RFC would be adding value, lets not over pay for any player.

So you think that if he was bought by another team from under our noses for £1.5M the fans would be happy with that?

Rubbish.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Mar 2007 10:28

The 17 Bus I think 1.5m is too much, he has not stood out, has the faults that others have pointed out, and might improve with quality coaching, but to be worth 1.5m will only be after SC and co have improved his game, so RFC would be adding value, lets not over pay for any player.

£1.5m is not too much. We are a Premiership club these days and £1.5m is a bargain in those terms.

There will be very few signings that we make from this day onward that will cost less than £1.5m. Somebody mentioned that he would be our joint 2nd highest signing, he wouldn't be for long.

He's 22 and is currently playing for us in the Premiership and has faults, our record signing hasn't even got in the squad yet.

You buy any player at that age and you are going to add value to them if the coaches do their job right as he's moving toward his peak years not away.

For me, he's nowhere near the finished article but at that price and at his age it is a risk worth taking especially with the riches we are about to get.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 17 Mar 2007 18:21

readingbedding

So you think that if he was bought by another team from under our noses for £1.5M the fans would be happy with that?

Rubbish.

So are any other clubs in there trying to buy him?

We and others have shown that you do not need to spend millions on a player to achieve success at this level, what you do need is tip top management and coaching, something we seem to have at this point in time.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 19 Mar 2007 12:03

Hoop Blah
Wycombe Royal

Yep, totally agree. It's always a gamble signing any player, and we've had our fair share of results from bargin basement finds but I was just pointing out the possibility that at £1.5m he isn't quite a bargin.

Royal Rother

Have they?

To be fair it wouldn't surprise me because he's the sort of defender that looks good on highlights, but Samba has impressed me in the live games I've watched, despite a few hairy moments which remind me much more of Sonko than Bikey does.

Having seen what he can do this season it's not really a gamble is it? It's more a question of cost. I'm not Bikey's biggest fan but he'll improve. A bit pricey? yes. A gamble? No.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 19 Mar 2007 12:19

East Stand Royal 500
Wycombe Royal Sometimes you get lucky with a signing, just like we did with Doyle (and Long to a lesser extent). However getting good players for very little money does not happen that often, and unfortunately when it comes to free transfers we will be a long way down the pecking order in terms of attracting the best ones.

In that case SC must be the luckiest manager alive! How much did it cost to put the current squad together (ignoring the most recent signings)?

I disagree. It was not good luck but good scouting in the places where others don't think of looking because they don't expect to find quality outside the big clubs. If there's no competition for your targets you can pick up bargains.

Coppell & Co - carry on as you were! I'd rather trust your judgement than some of the posters on this thread.

5.1 million for the 1st team squad (before the transfer window opened)
i beleieve its the least spent by any of the current prem sides

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Mar 2007 12:22

The 17 Bus
readingbedding

Rubbish.

So are any other clubs in there trying to buy him?

We and others have shown that you do not need to spend millions on a player to achieve success at this level, what you do need is tip top management and coaching, something we seem to have at this point in time.

Don't disagree but it's a fact of life that now we are looking like a more established Prem team the cost of bargains will go up. We will struggle to get many players under £1m through the door now that will actually improve what we have.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 19 Mar 2007 13:35

We have Bikey on loan with a clause int he deal allowing us to buy him for a predetermined figure.

On that bais of course no other clubs are in for him as he's not available to other clubs. He's ours if we want him at the price. If we start haggling then I suspect our option is forfeit and others could come in, although I suspect Bikey might have a big say and decide that this is where he wants to be....

Personally i think £1.5 million is a gamble, but we are now in a position when we can take the odd gamble. It could well turn out to be a massive bargain as Bikey has all the components needed to be a very good player.

121 posts