Hunt - no talent??

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Hunt - no talent??

by Millsy » 17 Mar 2007 23:00

Regardless of his many excellent assists (and goals) this season, it's often bandied about that Hunt is a player devoid of Premiership talent, who makes up for it with his passion; he's portrayed as some technically inept baffoon who just runs a lot.

Well, today he performed a bit of magic taht I won't forget and indeed has to be the most dazzling bit of techincal ability I've seen in a long time - namely receiving a high ball on the left, juggling it in the air several times whilst pressured by their right back with his back to goal and then whacking it over his head straight into the 6 yard box, from which we had possibly our best chance of the game.

Something out of nothing. Pure brilliance.

Anyone else notice it?

Time and time and time again it seems Hunt creates something out of nothing. Granted, in his attempts he does end up doing a lot of bozo moves (which perhaps the likes of Ronaldo or Zola would do less of), but still he tries and it pays off enough times to be effective.

He is the flair in our team. And he certainly does have some talent.

waitingforyears

Re: Hunt - no talent??

by waitingforyears » 17 Mar 2007 23:08

2 world wars, 1 world cup Regardless of his many excellent assists (and goals) this season, it's often bandied about that Hunt is a player devoid of Premiership talent, who makes up for it with his passion; he's portrayed as some technically inept baffoon who just runs a lot.

Well, today he performed a bit of magic taht I won't forget and indeed has to be the most dazzling bit of techincal ability I've seen in a long time - namely receiving a high ball on the left, juggling it in the air several times whilst pressured by their right back with his back to goal and then whacking it over his head straight into the 6 yard box, from which we had possibly our best chance of the game.

Anyone else notice it?

Time and time and time again it seems Hunt creates something out of nothing. Granted, in his attempts he does end up doing a lot of bozo moves (which perhaps the likes of Ronaldo or Zola would do less of), but still he tries and it pays off enough times to be effective.

He is the flair in our team. And he certainly does have some talent.

The announcers on the StarSports broadcast were impressed by that piece of skill, as was I.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 17 Mar 2007 23:11

For a player that wasn't supposed to play this season, I think he's done a stella job.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 17 Mar 2007 23:28

2 world wars, 1 world cup Regardless of his many excellent assists (and goals) this season, it's often bandied about that Hunt is a player devoid of Premiership talent, who makes up for it with his passion; he's portrayed as some technically inept baffoon who just runs a lot.

We've been here before!

:lol:

Chillitsphil

by Chillitsphil » 18 Mar 2007 04:14

Coppelled Streets

We've been here before!

In all honesty I don't think we have, Hunt is a far better player than Hughes was imho.

ROWY

by ROWY » 18 Mar 2007 06:51

i'm a better player than hughes (imho)

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 18 Mar 2007 07:37

Coppelled Streets

We've been here before!

To even consider the two players in the same breath is a nonsense.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 18 Mar 2007 08:27

ok hunt hasnt been in the best of form of late but you can't moan at him, he has been great all season and has been a perfect replacement for bobby.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 18 Mar 2007 09:13

Coppelled Streets

We've been here before!

Now installed as Norwich's first choice right back.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 18 Mar 2007 09:14

If Hunt's our flair player then we really are fcuked.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 18 Mar 2007 10:07

I missed yesterdays game as I was still in the air on my way back from SA :( Plastic, I know. I'll watch the Football First highlights when I've caught up with stuff later.

I've said for the past couple of seasons that Hunt had talent. Me and my friend loved it when he came on for us last season as he would always pull some sort of show-boat trick. Still an underrated player for us I believe.

Garrincha

by Garrincha » 18 Mar 2007 10:32

I'm astounded by some of the comments here with reference to Hunty however to be fair let's look at the positives first:

Genuine commitment to RFC
Likeable character & hard working
Involved with some telling assists & scored this season
Showed great mental strength & professionalism in overcoming the disgraceful Chelsea comments

Reality check:

Although has shown some moments of 'skill' extremely inconsistent in crossing, passing and judgement on when & when not to dribble
Touch and awarenes of players around him is generally poor at this level
Lacks composure in front of goal- many examples this season.
Overall quality not up to Prem / RFC standards although would be a solid League 1 player.

These are just some of the observations not only from myself but other supporters. I'm am not slating Hunty because one thing you want from any player that plays for a club you support passionately is commitment, honest and integrity (as exemplified by all our players including Leroy now) and there is no doubting he gives us that.

But if we want to continue moving forward as a club we need more overall quality coupled with that commitment.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 18 Mar 2007 11:06

Anyone else notice it?

Right in front of me and absolutely superb.

he'd tried something similar earlier and it hadn't worked so well.

Kingsley's Personal Assis

by Kingsley's Personal Assis » 18 Mar 2007 11:13

I think Hunty will only get better at this level. Next year i think you will see him with better distribution and a better eye for goal.
When your a 1st year club in the Prem and the teams backs are up agaisnt the likes of Liverpool and Man u, there is nothing better than the likes of Hunty raging around the place putting it around.

I think there could be an arguement for Hunt to be first choice over a fit Bobby.

Coppel seems to highly rate him. :wink:

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 18 Mar 2007 11:24

Maguire If Hunt's our flair player then we really are fcuked.

What does the guy have to do to get recognition from some people? :evil:

Who would you say is our 'flair player' then?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 18 Mar 2007 11:38

nivek elyod
Maguire If Hunt's our flair player then we really are fcuked.

What does the guy have to do to get recognition from some people? :evil:

Who would you say is our 'flair player' then?

Glen Little. John Oster.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Mar 2007 11:53

Maguire If Oster's our flair player then we really are fcuked.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 18 Mar 2007 11:54

Platypuss
Maguire If Oster's our flair player then we really are fcuked.

I f*cking love Oster I do

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 18 Mar 2007 12:29

shadesrwrf
Coppelled Streets

We've been here before!

To even consider the two players in the same breath is a nonsense.

:roll: Who's considering the two players in the same breath? The highlighted text was very much along the lines of what many said about Hughes during his time here!

Hunt or Hughes? No contest.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Mar 2007 12:37

Garrincha Lacks composure in front of goal- many examples this season.
How do his goals/starts stats compare to our other wingers, even including Championship matches?

He's no Christiano Ronaldo, but he's good enough for us.