Hunt - no talent??

Reading_Royal
Location: 25Mar2006 History in the making - RFC in the promised land!

Re: Hunt - no talent??

by Reading_Royal » 18 Mar 2007 12:50

Coppelled Streets
shadesrwrf
Coppelled Streets
2 world wars, 1 world cup Regardless of his many excellent assists (and goals) this season, it's often bandied about that Hunt is a player devoid of Premiership talent, who makes up for it with his passion; he's portrayed as some technically inept baffoon who just runs a lot.

We've been here before!

:lol:

To even consider the two players in the same breath is a nonsense.

:roll: Who's considering the two players in the same breath? The highlighted text was very much along the lines of what many said about Hughes during his time here!

Hunt or Hughes? No contest.

Everyone with me then by picking Hughes... Yes? :wink:

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 18 Mar 2007 12:53

John Madejski's Wallet
Platypuss
Maguire If Oster's our flair player then we really are fcuked.

I f*cking love Oster I do

As do I

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 18 Mar 2007 14:00

2 world wars, 1 world cup Regardless of his many excellent assists (and goals) this season, it's often bandied about that Hunt is a player devoid of Premiership talent, who makes up for it with his passion; he's portrayed as some technically inept baffoon who just runs a lot.

Well, today he performed a bit of magic taht I won't forget and indeed has to be the most dazzling bit of techincal ability I've seen in a long time - namely receiving a high ball on the left, juggling it in the air several times whilst pressured by their right back with his back to goal and then whacking it over his head straight into the 6 yard box, from which we had possibly our best chance of the game.

Something out of nothing. Pure brilliance.

Anyone else notice it?

Time and time and time again it seems Hunt creates something out of nothing. Granted, in his attempts he does end up doing a lot of bozo moves (which perhaps the likes of Ronaldo or Zola would do less of), but still he tries and it pays off enough times to be effective.

He is the flair in our team. And he certainly does have some talent.

He did this on several occasions last season.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 18 Mar 2007 14:05

Platypuss

Maybe he can win you over by doing three kick-ups and volleying a cross straight to the goalkeeper?

Seems to be the only prerequisite these days.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Mar 2007 16:25

Maguire
Platypuss

Maybe he can win you over by doing three kick-ups and volleying a cross straight to the goalkeeper?

Yeah that's right we're saying it's the only prerequisite for talent. :roll:

No seriously though this is my fault. I'm nt saying Hunt is our only flair player. Perhaps Oster is a falri player too. It's just that in the current starting line-up he is. Perhaps when bearing in mind the whole squad I should say he's one of maybe 2 or 3.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Mar 2007 18:33

Maguire Maybe he can win you over by doing three kick-ups and volleying a cross straight to the goalkeeper?

I thought that Hunt had a rather poor game yesterday. But then again so did his colleague on the right wing so perhaps we'll put it down to a blip.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 18 Mar 2007 19:02

floyd__streete
Maguire Maybe he can win you over by doing three kick-ups and volleying a cross straight to the goalkeeper?

I thought that Hunt had a rather poor game yesterday. But then again so did his colleague on the right wing so perhaps we'll put it down to a blip.

Agreed. Thought Hunt was poor but compared with Glen he was genius. Little was completely out of sorts yesterday....definitely a blip.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 18 Mar 2007 19:06

Yeah Glen is my love player but even I can't make a case for him yesterday. Not a good day.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 18 Mar 2007 19:10

Yesterday seemed to sum up what Hunt is all about.
Good involvement in build-up and interchanging passes in the first half and decent tracking back.
In the second half I thought he played like a Div 2 player and should have been substituted.
I have to admit to wavering about him-one minute I'm glad he is out there for us and the next cringeing at a badly placed pass or letting the ball go under his foot.
Whatever else he has left his mark this season in more ways than one. :wink:

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 18 Mar 2007 19:35

Norfolk Royal
Coppelled Streets

We've been here before!

Now installed as Norwich's first choice right back.

I thought that was his best position

bassavage

by bassavage » 18 Mar 2007 19:54

el_presidente
Norfolk Royal
Coppelled Streets

We've been here before!

Right back? Are you being serious??

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 18 Mar 2007 20:11

bassavage
el_presidente
Norfolk Royal
Coppelled Streets

We've been here before!

Right back? Are you being serious??

I often thought he looked most composed at right back too.

As did many others on here when he was being tried out there, IIRC

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 18 Mar 2007 22:33

The biggest difference between Andy Hughes and Stephen Hunt is that Hunty hasn't been put up for auction on E-bay.

Peter Kay - Top of the To

by Peter Kay - Top of the To » 19 Mar 2007 07:29

Hunty, if you are reading this old chap then I hope you dont mind me politely requesting to see a little less flash, and a lot better basics.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 19 Mar 2007 07:40

Another Joke thread.

I would play Hunt instead of Seol any day.. Infact there are not many wingers in the premiership I would swap him for. Take out the Big four and IMO that leaves you with Arron Lennon and thats about it.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 19 Mar 2007 08:35

Maguire
Platypuss

We have only two flair players - Glen Little and SKH. And Glen was poo.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Mar 2007 08:43

bigmike Another Joke thread.

I would play Hunt instead of Seol any day.. Infact there are not many wingers in the premiership I would swap him for. Take out the Big four and IMO that leaves you with Arron Lennon and thats about it.

I'd have him over Seol at the moment. He has done well and better than I expected. I would still like to see Oster get a run of games on the left though.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 19 Mar 2007 08:56

If anyone thinks that we can get a better player than Hunt on a free, then please let Mr Coppell know.

Hunt is playing his first ever season in the Premiership and his development this season has been as good as any Reading player in the same boat. I agree, he's got a bit of a way to go yet, but he's doing a great job for us.

IMHO, he's better defensively than Oster, Seol or Convey and that gives him an extra edge.

And on top of all of that, he's had to deal with the Cech incident over and over again this season. I think he's done really well and deservedly holds the left wing slot at the moment.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 19 Mar 2007 09:53

The difference between Hunt and most of the wingers at the club is that Hunt will always chase a lost cause.

I dont know what the prozone stats show but I recon he must be up there for distance run

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 19 Mar 2007 11:04

Norfolk Royal
Coppelled Streets

We've been here before!

Is he still their captain?