Championship Football ..

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Mar 2007 19:00

Behindu ADZ, just because you are a bit thick don't presume everyone else is....

Do you REALLY recall everyone beating everyone else last season, cos I don't....

Leave off - he's making a simple point. In the Prem there are the big four or five: Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Cheatski etc who generally dominate/purchase the top spots. In the Championship it's much more of a free for all.

Adz1871

by Adz1871 » 20 Mar 2007 19:15

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Behindu ADZ, just because you are a bit thick don't presume everyone else is....

Do you REALLY recall everyone beating everyone else last season, cos I don't....

Leave off - he's making a simple point. In the Prem there are the big four or five: Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Cheatski etc who generally dominate/purchase the top spots. In the Championship it's much more of a free for all.

At last .. Thank you!

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 20 Mar 2007 19:23

Quite simply I preferred paying £20 not £30+ and not having to sit next to families watching their 2nd ever season of football who repeatedly ask you to stop shouting/swearing at a football match. If we do get relegated at least I’ll be able to get a ticket whenever I want without checking when my sodding my Royalty points will let me.

Relegation and the safe standing campaign getting somewhere and it might be more enjoyable to go to a football match again.

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 20 Mar 2007 19:26

I was bored of the Prem, before we got there, and groan every time a player falls over, it seams Premier footballers run faster, and therefore fall over harder or summin'....

Either way, i havnt been interested in the Prem title race since Newcastle nearly clinched it, and wont be for some considerable time to come!

I think a lot of peoples grips are simply growing pains, if we are to have this lovely groound, it needs to be full, if we are to play in top flight, we have to play a certain way, and currently we conduct our selves in a way not even touched at by other clubs, we are best run club in the country, with morals and scruples.

The day we sell our selves short, is the day i will be unhappy, and will have to accept the diving cheating boreing teams and league until then!

Adz1871

by Adz1871 » 20 Mar 2007 19:36

skipper I was bored of the Prem, before we got there, and groan every time a player falls over, it seams Premier footballers run faster, and therefore fall over harder or summin'....

Either way, i havnt been interested in the Prem title race since Newcastle nearly clinched it, and wont be for some considerable time to come!

I think a lot of peoples grips are simply growing pains, if we are to have this lovely groound, it needs to be full, if we are to play in top flight, we have to play a certain way, and currently we conduct our selves in a way not even touched at by other clubs, we are best run club in the country, with morals and scruples.

The day we sell our selves short, is the day i will be unhappy, and will have to accept the diving cheating boreing teams and league until then!

Fair enough but think about it this way, would you rather have a game with 16k everybody standing singing thier hearts out for 90mins OR 24k everybody sitting and you happen to sit in between two moaning old rich gits that moan evrytime we lose the ball who have brought a season ticket to see the 'big' clubs?

Just to get this clear, im not judging your response!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Mar 2007 19:43

Questions to those preferring CCC -

Would you have preferred us never to have got here - and not had a season like last and this?

Do you honestly think you're feel the same way about being in the CCC after being relegated - if we are at some point?

Adz1871

by Adz1871 » 20 Mar 2007 19:50

Stranded Questions to those preferring CCC -

Would you have preferred us never to have got here - and not had a season like last and this?

Do you honestly think you're feel the same way about being in the CCC after being relegated - if we are at some point?

I was one of the many at Walkers celebrating like mad that we had made it to the promised land! but since arriving, this league isn't all its cracked up to be (hense original post).

The only way to find that out would be if it happened ..

But let me ask you this, Do you personally think the Prem is what everyone makes it out to be ... i.e Promised land, best league in the world?

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 20 Mar 2007 20:03

Last season was awesome and there is probably a Grass is always greener element here I grant you, but the experience of going to a match is increasingly poorer and much more expensive.

The best place to watch the Prem is on Sky and I'd rather watch football with atmosphere at a reasonable cost. From a selfish point of view I think that's easier in the lower leagues without the two-season families all around you.

BLUES & ROYAL

by BLUES & ROYAL » 20 Mar 2007 20:17

Personally its great to get to some fantastic stadia and see World Class players play OUR team

The down side is that we are paying more money for less footy
(And they want to cut the size of the Premiership again FFS)

I suppose if your in Europe in cups etc there is plenty going on, but for teams like ourselves we never seem to be playing.
If it wasnt for the fact we had the Manure replay we would not have played a home game for 5 weeks!!

Just as well we dont have a mid season break!

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 20 Mar 2007 20:19

Adz1871

I was one of the many at Walkers celebrating like mad that we had made it to the promised land! but since arriving, this league isn't all its cracked up to be (hense original post).

But let me ask you this, Do you personally think the Prem is what everyone makes it out to be ... i.e Promised land, best league in the world?

Not best league in world, but then i dont know what is, but its not the promised land!

I'd prefer to see 37k all singing in the isles...

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 20 Mar 2007 20:48

Once were Biscuitmen Quite simply I preferred paying £20 not £30+ and not having to sit next to families watching their 2nd ever season of football who repeatedly ask you to stop shouting/swearing at a football match. If we do get relegated at least I’ll be able to get a ticket whenever I want without checking when my sodding my Royalty points will let me.

Relegation and the safe standing campaign getting somewhere and it might be more enjoyable to go to a football match again.

If you are long term fan and not a 2 season wonder, then surely you have enough points to get a ticket whenever you want...? :?

Rob-Royal

by Rob-Royal » 20 Mar 2007 21:04

Harold Never mind - you might be back there in a couple of seasons.

Only might - and a couple of seasons......? You don't sound so sure.....

Thought your boys were outstanding last night.....Drogba's play acting (particularly delaying the penalty by Keane) was something to treasure not to mention the England captain walking in front of Keane then around him just to add a few choice words...you must be so proud.

At least the Championship is an honest league throughout...

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 20 Mar 2007 21:11

Premier League in "overhyped and overpriced" shocker :roll:

Don't know that i'll bother getting a season ticket next year.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Mar 2007 21:25

Adz1871

Of course it's not and it was never going to be. I think the people who are disappointed with it were the one's who thought it would be. For me, it was just the next step for my club, a bigger challenge but not necessarily the greatest thing in the world.

Would I rather be in the league below, no. Why? I think people have short memories - having 16k people certainly didn't make for a better atmosphere, we had a very similar if not worse atmosphere than we do now but with thousands of empty blue seats.

Would I want cheaper prices, yes? But you're getting, over the majoirty of the season a lesser product and no guarantee of better games - how turgid was that run post Xmas a couple of season's back.

And if we do go down say in the next season or two (whether before or after stadium expansion) it may well still be my club and I'll support them as much as always but you can guarantee after a dour 0-0 draw at home to Scunthorpe in front of 16k people on a cold wet December Tuesday, people will be talking about the time we turned Spurs over as the good old days.

phil in cornwall

Re: Championship Football ..

by phil in cornwall » 20 Mar 2007 21:27

Adz1871 How many of you can admit you prefer the Premiership to the Championship?? ... I for one enjoyed the Championship due to these reasons ..

1} No Media Drama (I.E Cech Incident)
2} No Constant Change Of K.O Times Due To Sky Sports
3} Easier To Get Tickets For Away Trips
4} Anything Is Possible (I.E Derby County Top Of The League)
5} No Plastics

This thread is pathetic and could only have been started by a newby. I remember the old days at Elm Park in the 50s and 60s.

What the hell is the game about if you don't want to improve?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 20 Mar 2007 21:28

Let me see if I've got this straight:

Summer 05: season ends in a damp squib, 9th in the CCC, after a string of dire performances. Everyone pisses and moans all summer about lack of ambition.

05-06: The best season ever! 106 points, we wipe the floor with the CCC. We are Premier League!

06-07: Another fantastic season, competing to get into Europe, 6-0 over West Ham, a series of enthralling encounters with Man U, the whole journalistic world drooling over us.

After two seasons that any football fan in the world would die to enjoy, we get moany threads like this? Get a fokken grip, guys! This isn't good enough for you? What the hell would please you?!

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 20 Mar 2007 21:30

SpaceCruiser Anyone who prefers Reading to be in a lower division over the one that they currently are in is clearly a fool.

100% correct Mr Space Man

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 20 Mar 2007 21:36

strap
SpaceCruiser Anyone who prefers Reading to be in a lower division over the one that they currently are in is clearly a fool.

100% correct Mr Space Man

Absolutely agree.

Adz1871 - Why don't you go off and support Ald*rsh*t, Sw*nd*n, or *xf*rd?

Then you can grow up with one of them like we have with Reading.

M27Royal

by M27Royal » 20 Mar 2007 22:47

If you are long term fan and not a 2 season wonder, then surely you have enough points to get a ticket whenever you want...?

Some of us who have been supporting the club for many years can't go to every game. We have grown up, we have families, kids who have to go to places on match days. Have stringer financial commitments. Some of us like to go and see a few matches a season and keep supporting the club we love, and have supported since we were kids.

personally I have Oxf*rd all royalty points as have only been able to go to a few games in the last few years. now in our first top flight season I can't get a ticket for toffee - and I don't care who I see play.

Yes it's great that we're in the top flight - yes it's great to see us on page 1 of the ceefax league tables. But, and it's a biggy, there was something special and homely about being able to decide at midday on a saturday that you fancied going to watch the footy, and had changed out of a twenty for your ticket and a burger.

Hopefully with the stadium extension those of us with more commitments than those who are able to, both time wise and financially to go to every game, will be able to go to a few matches when WE want to.

My concern is that if our success is relatively shortlived a 38k stadium may look a bit empty in a few years. Success does not last forever no matter what you do - only Arsenal have never been relegated, and I can't see us being the next to do it.

Whilst enjoying this season and being able to gloat a bt at work more than normal, there was always the talking point re supporting a "small team", hich seems to have gone - I used to enjoy justifiying my allegences - I don't have to any more.

Still - I hope it continues for a while at least so I can get to see some Premiership matches once the novelty for the plastics wears off and there's a few empty seats going begging!!!!

I don't post much, just lurk a lot, but felt I needed to say my piece.

I'll slip away and be quite for a year or so now!!!

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 20 Mar 2007 23:14

The Premiership will improve. Chelsea will be dumped down the table before long, when the Abramovich era is over, Man United and Spurs will be the teams competing for the top. Reading will be challenging the likes of Barcelona and the Milans. Referees will improve. England will get better with the type of players coming through that can cause damage. Most of these players in the Premiership at exciting and attacking teams like Spurs, Reading, Arsenal, and Portsmouth.

I also think it's time to lay off the caffeine.