Shane Long, take a bow

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Shane Long, take a bow

by Royalee » 21 Apr 2007 22:02

Absolutely BRILLIANT contribution today when he came on - completely turned the game as we never looked like it before he came on with Kitson off the pace. He was pretty damn good at Charlton and did well against Fulham after being harshly dropped but today was the icing on the cake.

Must start next week - he was absolute class today and turned the game on its head.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 21 Apr 2007 22:05

We should send him on loan, to a League 1 side or something like that don't we?

ferret

by ferret » 21 Apr 2007 22:05

Totally agree if he hadnt had come on , we wouldnt have won its as simple as that.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 21 Apr 2007 22:11

Super sub or starter? For now, I'd stick with the super sub appearances - Kitson still ahead of him for the starting bearth.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Apr 2007 22:14

Y21 Super sub or starter? For now, I'd stick with the super sub appearances - Kitson still ahead of him for the starting bearth.

Trouble is that when Kitson plays it's just too easy for Marcus and the others the hoof it down the middle in the hope he'll win it in the air.

When we only have short-arses up front then the others are forced to think about their distribution and play it on the ground - and all of a sudden we are a much better team!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Apr 2007 22:14

Y21 Super sub or starter? For now, I'd stick with the super sub appearances - Kitson still ahead of him for the starting bearth.

Starter - he was superb at Charlton and as much as I like Kits, he's been simply dreadful lately and needs a full pre-season before he's ready again. Long fully deserves his chance and I'm not basing this on just today, I'm basing it on the last 4 or 5 times I've seen him play.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 21 Apr 2007 22:20

The way this season has been going, Kitson will now go and score a brace against Newcastle.
Who are there for the taking by the way.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 21 Apr 2007 22:29

Royalee

Starter - he was superb at Charlton and as much as I like Kits, he's been simply dreadful lately and needs a full pre-season before he's ready again. Long fully deserves his chance and I'm not basing this on just today, I'm basing it on the last 4 or 5 times I've seen him play.

"Superb" at Charlton??

I know I slept through half the game, but did he actually touch the ball?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Apr 2007 22:31

Maguire
Royalee

"Superb" at Charlton??

Several times and made good use of it. You obviously chose to go to sleep at wrong times of the game.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 22 Apr 2007 00:21

hmmmmm, spoke to kits after the game outside the playrs entrance, he quoted:

when asked about his injury:
"definatly not 100%, and wont be until the end of preseason, i would like to blame my performance today on that, but i was just crap"

Long gotta start next week, with Kits now as little as poss till the end of the season, we dont need anyone missing preseason!

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 22 Apr 2007 00:30

Dirk Gently

Trouble is that when Kitson plays it's just too easy for Marcus and the others the hoof it down the middle in the hope he'll win it in the air.

When we only have short-arses up front then the others are forced to think about their distribution and play it on the ground - and all of a sudden we are a much better team!

absolutely

been saying this all season, kiston may be our best striker but the movement and the football when we play 2 short asses ( doyle and lita) is much better

and kiston's hold up play has been poor, he keeps flicking the ball on but then doesn't currently have the pace to get beyond defender and win the ball.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 22 Apr 2007 00:38

He had a great impact, but you have got to laugh at his final ball into the box when we scored our second..was Andy Hughes esc.. lucky Seol played a decent ball in.

P.S. we think we are bad at the back sometimes, how bad was Boltons marking for our 2nd and especially 3rd. absolutely commical! if the standard of play in europe is similar to this then im up for it. 3 points off spurs and double over Bolton, bring on europe!! :lol:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 22 Apr 2007 01:31

Long was great he stretched their defence and allowed Hunty and Doyle to make runs in behind. Have to agree and say that Kits has been awful in his last two starts. Was an exhilerating last 10 minutes!

loyal-royal

by loyal-royal » 22 Apr 2007 01:58

Coppell's Right Footed 11 He had a great impact, but you have got to laugh at his final ball into the box when we scored our second..was Andy Hughes esc.. lucky Seol played a decent ball in.

P.S. we think we are bad at the back sometimes, how bad was Boltons marking for our 2nd and especially 3rd. absolutely commical! if the standard of play in europe is similar to this then im up for it. 3 points off spurs and double over Bolton, bring on europe!! :lol:

yeah i no some people say not europe next season but im well up for it. come on URZZZ

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 22 Apr 2007 09:13

mikey0406 hmmmmm, spoke to kits after the game outside the playrs entrance, he quoted:

when asked about his injury:
"definatly not 100%, and wont be until the end of preseason, i would like to blame my performance today on that, but i was just crap"

Long gotta start next week, with Kits now as little as poss till the end of the season, we dont need anyone missing preseason!

What a Legand Kitson is, poor game today and he's man enough to admit it. Looking forward to seeing him fully fit next year, then we can judge if he's good enough for this level.

Ollie Kearns is in Buxton
Location: Near the source of the UK's No 1 Natural Mineral Water

by Ollie Kearns is in Buxton » 22 Apr 2007 09:41

Coppell's Right Footed 11 ... lucky Seol played a decent ball in.

and lucky Doyle scored...

Many players wud have cut infield rather than crossing from where he finally collected Long's wayward effort. He tee-d it up n trusted himself to deliver fairly accurately, flatish n with pace.

Still, if that's called being lucky, hope it continues!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 22 Apr 2007 09:45

Royalee
Maguire
Royalee

"Superb" at Charlton??

Several times and made good use of it. You obviously chose to go to sleep at wrong times of the game.

:lol:

Well done Long for yesterday, but he had a mare at Charlton. You're trying to rewrite history to support your argument, but to say he was "Superb at Charlton" just totally undermines it.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 22 Apr 2007 11:17

Can I just announce, I TOLD YOU SO.

Oh, and Long may it continue.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Apr 2007 12:21

As I say in the "God bless the boys of Eire" thread he totally changed the game. Perhaps he deserves his own thread though. When he came on to be completely honest I thought he'd add nothing ( :oops: ) then was pleasantly surprised when he kept harassing their defence. It changed the game.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 22 Apr 2007 12:58

He was the difference when he came on. Before we looked sluggish, disorganised and one dimensional, we were never going to score.

Long gave us that bit of pace, a willingness to run the channels and an outlet.

I'm not convinced Kitson is good enough for this level, it may be down to his injuries or whatever, but he looks disinterested, easy to play against and he doesn't have that swagger he had a year ago.