Premiership fans - Best and worst

109 posts
Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

Premiership fans - Best and worst

by Jerry St Clair » 26 Apr 2007 13:21

So, who have been the best and worst fans we've encountered this season? For me:

Best - Wigan and Newcastle
Unequivocally friendly and welcoming on my visits to the JJB and St James's (maybe because they both beat us!). I've railed against the "lovable Geordie" myth on here before but, to be honest, I could find no evidence to disprove it. As for Wigan, the JJB is one of those new grounds that still has a selection of pubs and bars nearby that home and away fans can mix in. See RFC, it can be done.

Worst - Liverpool
Vulgar, arrogant, conceited and all so far up their own arses it's a wonder any of them actually have the physical ability to watch football matches. Their visit to the Madejski, when so many of them adopted a sneering attitude towards us, was very disappointing. No humility at all from a set of fans who, frankly, should know better.

boycey

by boycey » 26 Apr 2007 13:23

best - west ham

worst - chelsea by a mile .

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Premiership fans - Best and worst

by floyd__streete » 26 Apr 2007 13:25

Jerry St Clair Worst - Liverpool
Vulgar, arrogant, conceited and all so far up their own arses it's a wonder any of them actually have the physical ability to watch football matches. Their visit to the Madejski, when so many of them adopted a sneering attitude towards us, was very disappointing. No humility at all from a set of fans who, frankly, should know better.

I thought they were a decent bunch to be honest, and the only lot who haven't thrown any where were you when you were sh*t chants our way. I thought the Manchester United fans back in September were a thoroughly unpleasant lot, but they were more bearable for their cup visit.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 26 Apr 2007 13:26

Best - Newcastle

I had a great trip to Toon and did experience the friendly Geordie myth. Even had a bloke running out of a meal with his missus in a smart restaurant after the game when he saw us, to ask us the score.

Worst - Man Utd by a distance

I never knew 70,000 people could make so little noise. But then they were all tourists

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 26 Apr 2007 13:27

Enjoyed a good conversation with a Boro fan back in August, he had gone to every game last season which saw them reach the Semi Finals of FA Cup and UEFA Cup Final :shock:

Found the Chelsea fans at Stamford Bridge very bitter over there failure to get 3 off us. Didn't think much of the Bolton fans after the game Saturday, kicking Reading fans at the train station

AJ~
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Premiership fans - Best and worst

by AJ~ » 26 Apr 2007 13:31

floyd__streete I thought they were a decent bunch to be honest, and the only lot who haven't thrown any where were you when you were sh*t chants our way.

That's because they only have the ability to sing/chant the following...

"You'll never walk alone"
"Where were you in Istanbul?" :roll:
"We've won it five times"

I may have to give up on football if Liverpool were to win a sixth Champions League title, it would be unbearable.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 26 Apr 2007 13:38

Best - Wigan but then that was mainly due to the pre match luxuries afforded me by a Sheffield Wed fan.

Worst - Bolton or Sheff U I would say

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 26 Apr 2007 13:46

Best would probably be Newcastle - they're the best fans in the world don't you know? Actually the whole city is football bonkers (on a match day at least) and it seems they all love nothing more than talking to away fans. Bit like the Portsmouth lot only more so.

West Ham fans I suppose were the most fun at the Madejski but that probably had something to do with my enjoyment of the game.

Worst lot I'd probably plump for Arsenal, they were no fun at all and didn't seem to like us being in 'their' pub.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 26 Apr 2007 14:05

I had a lot of time for Fulham and Villa, to be honest

Manchester United overhyped and under-volume.

Daniella

by Daniella » 26 Apr 2007 14:13

Impressed me:

Fulham( suprisngly loud and got behind their team)

Villa( cocky but made some noise)

West ham ( at times a pain in the ass, but have to say its always a good atmopshere when they come and there is always good banter)

Unimpressed me:

Everton (Possibly the worst seen in the last 2 yeas at the madejski, despite winning 2-0 made absolutely no noise whatso-ever, awful)

Liverpool, classic "sing when your winning" fans, only woke up when kuyt scored, and the rest was arrogance and boasting personified.

Bolton- nothing fans, never any noise, don't sell out.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 26 Apr 2007 14:15

Best - West Ham

Worst - Man Utd (throwing punches at the powerless after the FA Cup away game at old Trafford. Kids crying, an old lady smacked in the side of the face, and a bloke that took a punch and did what he could to calm the situation before the whole thing kicked off). Set of oxf*rd!

Daniella

by Daniella » 26 Apr 2007 14:17

Coppelled Streets Best - West Ham

Worst - Man Utd (throwing punches at the powerless after the FA Cup away game at old Trafford. Kids crying, an old lady smacked in the side of the face, and a bloke that took a punch and did what he could to calm the situation before the whole thing kicked off). Set of oxf*rd!

United and wolves like to hit the women and childeren.
In defence of liverpool, while I thought they were poor vocally, they would never stoop to those depths.

Skyline

by Skyline » 26 Apr 2007 14:21

Surprised no-one's mentioned Tottenham for worst fans, certainly at our place. I've never seen the away end empty quite so quickly as it did when we stuck the third goal away that day.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 26 Apr 2007 14:25

Best - the West Ham fans who stayed for 90 minutes
Worst - Man U for the cup game

readingboy

by readingboy » 26 Apr 2007 14:26

reading best fans/spurs fans worst

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 26 Apr 2007 14:36

Best

Not been blown away by anyone's support yet, quite disappointing overall. Most vocal possibly Villa or Man City, but no one really stands out.

Worst

At our place, Bolton on support; Spurs in terms of fickleness. Away from home, Fulham were poor, and Watford just annoyed me with their constant 'Yellow Army'. For a start, it just sounds stupid. Blue Army? Fine. Red Army? Good. Yellow Army? W@nk.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 26 Apr 2007 14:48

Depends what you're defining it by - Newcastle fans were very welcoming, but I'd have to say Sheffield United overall - knowledgeable, friendly and very noisy at Bramall Lane, one of my favourite away trips. As much as I hate to say it, West Ham's fans did themselves proud at the Madejski.

Worst would be Wigan for attendance and Liverpool for lack of noise.

Nobby

by Nobby » 26 Apr 2007 15:04

Watford just annoyed me with their constant 'Yellow Army'. For a start, it just sounds stupid. Blue Army? Fine. Red Army? Good. Yellow Army? W@nk.

But they play in yellow.

blue_army_wokingham

by blue_army_wokingham » 26 Apr 2007 15:19

pompey had the best support that ive seen all year. at their ground i mean, didnt make the home game. most teams home support is useless, especially boro, but pompey didnt shut up for the whole game. great witty chants as well. but the cow bell is annoying

Corky341

by Corky341 » 26 Apr 2007 15:20

Best, West Ham. (I thought their chant of 'We want one' was brilliant in respoce to our chant for 7).

Worst, Chelsea. I really can't remember hearing so many foul-mouthed women supporting one team. Which goes to prove the Russian may be able to buy a team and may be even a few titles & cups, but you can't buy class.

109 posts