Coppell's lack of ambition

107 posts
Farnborough Royal

Coppell's lack of ambition

by Farnborough Royal » 06 May 2007 15:04

Don't get me wrong, I love the man as much as any other Reading fan, however I find it very worrying that Coppell seems to have no intention of ever winning anything and just have us sail along into 12th every season without anyone noticing us. We're going to be the next Aston Villa.

I was reading his comments about Europe and the Peace Cup and he said "Firstly, we're not going to win the thing. Second, it's not a great money spinner for the Club. Third, we'd need more players and that makes us a more cumbersome unit. It's just not that beneficial. Yes, we can say we got into Europe, but it doesn't actually mean a great deal. We could have a party if we qualify, but that won't help us next season, will it?! The Premiership is 100% my priority" I don't know about you but this makes no sense to me at all. We're unlikely to win it - yes. BUT we're not going to win the Premiership either! would it really be a disaster if we finish 13 instead of 11th but get to the quater-finals of the UEFA Cup? or win the Carling Cup?? A prime example of this was in the F.A Cup this season. He played the reserves against United so I thought we were resting players for the push for a UEFA place, because we were well clear of relegation, therefore I didn't mind so much. But then after we went out people started talking about Europe and he said "we don't want Europe" Then what was the point of getting us knocked out the cup then if you didn't want Europe?! And above all of this the club still charged top price for tickets!

And he said "This is a great opportunity to play teams from South America & Asia, and when would we get that opportunity again? We were sounded out, we had various options but we knew this would be tasty" about the Peace Cup in Korea. We would get that opportunity in the UEFA Cup next season, and the UEFA Cup is more important then a tin-pot tournement in Korea.

If we make Europe next season I'm only going to the away matches as I'm not paying full price to watch the oxf*rd reserves again!

I truely believe that yesterday's defeat/performance had something to do with the negativity of the manager.

I know that Ipswich and West Ham both f*cked up their second seasons after qualifying for Europe, but we're not Ipswich or West Ham - We're READING and I think we would cope with Europe just fine.

Hopefully at Blackburn we can get lots of Europe song going to show the team and manager that we want to achieve qualification!

We've f*cked it up now though :cry:

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 06 May 2007 15:07

Just be glad you are 7th or whatever and going to have another season in the Prem guys!

If you become the next Ipswich or Wigan next season then moan but be grateful the team have done you proud in the top flight.

Europe will help you attract more players and who knows maybe Sidwell might stay rather than take the money and join an average Newcastle side or whoever?

Good luck either way...its deserved!
Last edited by Super_horns on 06 May 2007 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

Daniella

by Daniella » 06 May 2007 15:07

Some sensible points. Wigan oxf*rd up their second season and weren't even in europe so its ridiculous to say europe will send us down.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 06 May 2007 15:08

COPPELL OUT

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 06 May 2007 15:09

Coppell said those things to take pressure of the players, if they don't make Europe people will put it done to Coppell's lack of ambition and he'll be quite happy with that.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 06 May 2007 15:14

I guess you misinterpret what Coppell says ...

He could come out shouting about how we will win the Premiership, storm Europe and edge Oxford and Cambridge out in the boat race. But of course then the professional moaners would be on his back when we didn;t.

Coppell will be as desperate as anyone to add more silverware to what he has already gained for us, but we are in the big time now and it won;t happen over night.

You can;t do anything in football at this level with out huge ambition, but Coppell is more than a big mouth and I'd rather take what he says with the pinch of salt provided and let him continue to achieve on th epitch than get concerned about his comments.

It's interesting that you've stated elsewhere that you won;t be getting a ST next season RF, I think it's sad you won';t be part of what promises to be another interesting season next year. I reckon we will make a serious assault on some silverware in the next 2-3 seasons, and thin that is a realsutic timeframe. Those who want it all today at any price need to tak heed of Leeds United who perihsed going for the quick (expensive) fix....

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 May 2007 15:19

It is for the very reason that Coppell is ambitious that he doesn't think Europe is a good idea. He's realistic in that we definitely wouldn't win it and the financial rewards aren't great and wants us to stay in the Premiership in the long run so that we can gain the finances to be successful in the long run and win things.

Coppell himself has been caught out by pushing on too much in cup competitions in the past, like when Palace made the FA Cup final but got relegated soon after. I'd much rather see us become bigger and bigger over time until we can seriously compete year in, year out for silverware, which is far more ambitious IMO than going at it one season and failing in the future with nothing much to show for it.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 06 May 2007 15:22

I can understand Europe.

But, if we're doing ok next season, i would like him to try and go for a cup.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 06 May 2007 15:30

I'd like Coppell to manage his resources the best way he thinks with his priority being finishing as high as possible in the league.

I would expect that next season our squad will be slightly larger and have more top quality players in it meaning we will have a better shout in the cups.

But if Coppell thinks that using the cups to keep his squad happy is the best way of achieving his prime goal then I'd say fair enough.

We did better in the cups this season than for a long time after all (and OK as a Prem club so we should have done !)

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 06 May 2007 15:47

Coppell is a good manager but he has his limitations. It's all well and good saying the league is the priority, but realistically Reading will never finish in the top 4 and this season was the best chance to finish in European places. You can't pick and chose when to go for things, sometimes you have to just take the chance when it arises.

Coppell has got it easy now, he's done well here and doesn't want to risk anything upsetting that. He doesn't even show any ambition in either the FA Cup or League Cup so of course he doesn't fancy Europe.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 06 May 2007 15:58

Sad as it is, I have to agree with alad here. You DO have to take your chances when you get them and I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see us in as good a position next season to be in with a shout for Europe. I wouldn't care if we hadn't played some of our first team regulars in European qualifying games, just the fact that we got there would be enough for me.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 06 May 2007 16:28

Katie Marsden Coppell is a good manager but he has his limitations. It's all well and good saying the league is the priority, but realistically Reading will never finish in the top 4 and this season was the best chance to finish in European places. You can't pick and chose when to go for things, sometimes you have to just take the chance when it arises.

Completely agree - it is complacency on behalf of the club to suggest 'we are not ready'. We could be a League One club again in 3 or 4 years, and we will be a decade or two from European football again.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 06 May 2007 17:17

Millwall were not ready to win the FA Cup a couple of seasons ago yet they made the final.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 06 May 2007 17:42

Katie Marsden Coppell is a good manager but he has his limitations. It's all well and good saying the league is the priority, but realistically Reading will never finish in the top 4 and this season was the best chance to finish in European places.

I think you mean 'is' ! We are in with a very good shout of a UEFA cup place at the moment !

I can't understand the view that says short termism is the right view. It seems obvious that the model is not Leeds, Bradford or Barnsley all of whom went for bust looking for instant success and found 'bust' in a different sense.

If the last 17 years is to mean anything it must be that all efforts go on establishing us as a Premiership club for the next decade. If we do that then there will be European campaigns, cup finals and glorious victories.

I'm not sure how we could have taken the chance we have had any better. We've picked up way more pints than the biggest optimist would have predicted. Coppell has rung the changes but all managers do that ! Some seem to think that we should pick the same team every week, ignoring the fact that Coppell's selections have beaten Newcastle, Bolton and Fulham in the last few games and pushed Man Utd incredibly close over 2 legs.

We're all second guessing what might have happened if circumstances were different but I don;t think we'll make the jump to being a long term Prem club by thinking short term.

Katie Marsden Coppell has got it easy now, he's done well here and doesn't want to risk anything upsetting that. He doesn't even show any ambition in either the FA Cup or League Cup so of course he doesn't fancy Europe.

Not sure what you mean by 'easy'. Not as easy as Fergie and Mouriniho have obviously...
I think he's the right manager at the right club and it must make his life easier that the place runs the way he wants it to. He's hardly 'coasting' though ! if he is, then heaven help the top four if he starts trying !

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Coppell's lack of ambition

by Coppelled Streets » 06 May 2007 17:45

Farnborough Royal Don't get me wrong, I love the man as much as any other Reading fan, however I find it very worrying that Coppell seems to have no intention of ever winning anything and just have us sail along into 12th every season without anyone noticing us.

:?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 06 May 2007 18:08

Managers don't mean half the things they say, it's all about protecting the players. The players say how they are never that disappointed when they lose because Coppell isn't and therefore they get over it a lot easier. Coppell's sees the worst thing that could happen now is we become disappointed at not making Europe and take some of that negativity with us into next season. Which would be ridiculous after the season we've had. Any negativity towards not getting into Europe will be directed at Coppell and I'm sure he can take.

Coppell's attitude to the cups this season is a different issue imo and if he was to continue next season I would see it as being negative, but this season you can hardly argue with the results...

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 06 May 2007 18:09

Im sure Sir Steve is just playing down expectations and not wanting us to run before we can walk.The priority has to be premiership consolidation and gradually evolving squad depth and strength over the next few years .
No grumbles with the cautious brick by brick strategy here and willing to be patient for more silverware even if the first does take a few years.
In the meantime if our "non-regulars" are kept fit,happy and involved taking part in the various cup competitions then so be it.

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 06 May 2007 18:12

didnt something about coppell's lack of ambition come up two years ago? and look what he's done for us in that time, trust the man he knows what he's doing

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 06 May 2007 18:57

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL didnt something about coppell's lack of ambition come up two years ago? and look what he's done for us in that time, trust the man he knows what he's doing

Exactly, he's the man I would trust the most in football to take Reading Football Club forward. And I reckon that he's only negative about Europe to the press, to take the pressure off his players (just like José at Cheatski). I also reckon he just wants to win every game he plays, which was the reason for our incredible streak last season. One game at a time can't hurt...

Cheer up! :lol:

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 06 May 2007 19:02

Anyone who doubts Coppell should never darken the Mad Stad door again.

End of.

107 posts