Shorey contract talks - Doesn't sound promising

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Shorey contract talks - Doesn't sound promising

by Coppelled Streets » 27 Jun 2007 17:13

For his part, Shorey is clearly content with life in Berkshire, telling the Reading Evening Post: "I've been happy at Reading for a long time now but we'll just have to see what happens.

"I'm going into the talks wanting to sort out my future with the club because I've done well at Reading.

"I've gone through the divisions with them and my time here really couldn't have gone better. Reading will always be special to me no matter what happens.

For me it kind of suggests it's time for a new challenge. I so hope that isn't the case.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 27 Jun 2007 17:18

The obvious clue tells us he wants to stay....

If he didn't want to hang around then he wouldn't be 'going into talks to sort out my future at the club' - he's be in Newcastle

But dissecting comments as reported by journos and working out nuances froim them is the wrong way to find out what is happening.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Jun 2007 17:23

And I just hope that you can forgive us
But everything must go
And if you need an explanation
Then everything must go

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 27 Jun 2007 17:28

Jay, you worry too much.

Shorey is going nowhere.

Oi Oi Saveloy
Location: Going crackers for Cararcas, or bonkers for Belgium

by Oi Oi Saveloy » 27 Jun 2007 17:29

The club were hopeful over Sidwell aswell...

Bottom line is, if he wants to go, he will go and theres nowt we can do about and so it;s best not to worry about it.

Players move on, thats football.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 27 Jun 2007 17:42

SpaceCruiser Jay, you worry too much.

Shorey is going nowhere.

Indeed. An absurd suggestion.

Daniella

by Daniella » 27 Jun 2007 17:57

Oi Oi Saveloy The club were hopeful over Sidwell aswell...

Bottom line is, if he wants to go, he will go and theres nowt we can do about and so it;s best not to worry about it.

Post of the week.

Just wait for a bunch of deluded reading fans to post "if he goes its only for money", bla bla f**king bla. We are a small club, get over it. We are a stepping stone club.

kevan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by kevan » 27 Jun 2007 18:55

Not only that but we need to be stepping stone. It is only when good players see that Readig develops them and makes them more marketable that they will realy want to come here.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 27 Jun 2007 19:56

Did I read the same thing in the EP. It looks like Shorey does indeed want to stay but hasn't put pen to paper yet. I will not worry until he turns the new deal down. Then we can worry that he may go, but at the moment the noises he is making are alot more positive than sidders ever was!

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 27 Jun 2007 20:30

kevan Not only that but we need to be stepping stone. It is only when good players see that Readig develops them and makes them more marketable that they will realy want to come here.

Agree totally.

Too many people here think that current players are here for the foreseeable future. To survive at this level in the medium term, we need to be the new Wimbledon (but hopefully not in the same footballing style) -find the talent, develop, sell, find the next....

Might not lead to the global dominance that we would all like, but in the present financial scenario, is probably the best that we can hope for.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 27 Jun 2007 21:32

it depends. If he wants to go, to the extent that he'll have a big sulk if we don't sell him, then we have to take the money.

Other than that we just don't sell him. It's not as if he can leave on a fee at the end of the year.

Besides, the club showed with Sidwell that they won't sell just because a player doesn't sign a new contract.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 27 Jun 2007 21:46

Rev Algenon Stickleback H

it depends. If he wants to go, to the extent that he'll have a big sulk if we don't sell him, then we have to take the money.

Other than that we just don't sell him. It's not as if he can leave on a fee at the end of the year.

Besides, the club showed with Sidwell that they won't sell just because a player doesn't sign a new contract.

Actually he can leave for a fee at the end of the year. He cannot, however, leave on a free...

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 27 Jun 2007 23:32

floyd__streete

And I just hope that you can forgive us
But everything must go
And if you need an explanation
Then everything must go

FS manic as always.

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 28 Jun 2007 07:26

Reading's Nicky Shorey will snub Newcastle and West Ham by signing a new contract at the Royals. (Daily Mail)

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 28 Jun 2007 07:33

Dangerous Reading's Nicky Shorey will snub Newcastle and West Ham by signing a new contract at the Royals. (Daily Mail)

:D

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 28 Jun 2007 08:11

Spacey is generally quite excellent at predicting the moves of players and when rumours are bona fide or nonsense so just trust him.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 28 Jun 2007 11:39

Shorey has said he wants to stay

"i see reading as my club". i think that says it all

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 28 Jun 2007 11:40

Sidwell would have been happy to stay as well ...... for 50k a week !

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jun 2007 11:44

gazzer, loyal royal Shorey has said he wants to stay

"i see reading as my club". i think that says it all

It doesn't say a lot though really.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 28 Jun 2007 12:13

Thankfully this sort of statement is not the same as the one Sidwell made to the EP around this time last year where he questioned the clubs commitment to him and their plans for the future. I would like to think that Shorey would see sense and not think about the money aspect completely, however, I would not blame him for leaving for bigger and better things now that he has been thrust into the spotlight