Martin Williams & others (a where are they now thread)

122 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Martin Williams & others (a where are they now thread)

by Royal Rother » 29 Oct 2007 22:03

I didn't know this but, if anyone's interested, he is playing at Windsor & Eton at the moment.

Chatting to a pub mate at the weekend about him, he tells me he is a class act for them playing in midfield and a really nice chap as well.

He played in front of 115 in their last home game.

Any other "where are they nows" that might surprise some of us?
Last edited by Royal Rother on 12 Apr 2009 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 29 Oct 2007 22:22

I used to love Martin Williams. My favourite memory of him was when I went to the Tranmere away game the year we went down. I lived in the North and my Dad and I got lost on the way to the game. We got there in time to watch the second half when we were already 5-0 down! In the second half we did ok and only lost 1-0 - and Martin never gave up. In fact he was the only player who didn't that year.

Another great memory was going to Gillingham away (I can't remember the year). We were losing 2-1 and playing badly when suddenly we got a last minute penalty. Martin Williams buried it and as we left it was like we had won the cup. Ah fond memories - glad to hear he's still playing...

Henleyensian

by Henleyensian » 30 Oct 2007 00:41

I remember that match well. If think I am correct in saying it was the ffirst match of the millennium on 1st January 2000. I am pretty certain the it was the first match because I think it was at 1.00 or 1.30 p.m. In those days Gillingham were doing very well and we were really happy to come away with a draw.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 30 Oct 2007 00:44

Walsall away in 1998, we had not won away in 14/15 or something.

great early goal from Williams, Walsall were right up there IIRC.

size 12

by size 12 » 30 Oct 2007 00:55

My favourite memory of him is a bullet header at Wycombe away, where he ran onto a cross about 15 yards out and powered a header past their keeper, gave him no chance. I think we may have won the game 3-1, but this goal really stood out

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 30 Oct 2007 07:53

Henleyensian I remember that match well. If think I am correct in saying it was the ffirst match of the millennium on 1st January 2000. I am pretty certain the it was the first match because I think it was at 1.00 or 1.30 p.m. In those days Gillingham were doing very well and we were really happy to come away with a draw.

2nd or 3rd of Jan, iirc.

Gillingham were in good form, so the equaliser was met with radio rental celebrations on the away end (which did wonders for my 3 day millenium hangover.

Oh, and "speccy pulled a minger la la la la......"

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 30 Oct 2007 09:02

size 12 My favourite memory of him is a bullet header at Wycombe away, where he ran onto a cross about 15 yards out and powered a header past their keeper, gave him no chance. I think we may have won the game 3-1, but this goal really stood out

One of my favourite all-time Reading goals. :D From memory it was a peach of a cross from Andy Bernal. Great days.

Amongst the sheep

by Amongst the sheep » 30 Oct 2007 09:09

aaah skittles still winning those free kicks and pens?

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 30 Oct 2007 09:45

Size 12 and Zammo I was at that match with a mate who is a Wycombe fan. Great goal and a very good player who I always felt could have achieved a bit more than he did.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 30 Oct 2007 09:57

Wolves (h) 95/96 season when he rounded Stowell who promptly fell over always raises a smile :lol:

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 30 Oct 2007 10:21

The game where I first realised that Martin Williams was a better player than I thought he was, was at Barnsley in 1995 (I think, where we won 1-0). He was tricky and held up the ball well enough. However, I always thought he was a winger, until Terry Bullivant paired him up front with Asaba that he became a decent striker who could possibly score a lot of goals.

Anyone remember his brilliant strike against Blackpool at the Madejski Stadium during the dark days of Tommy Burns? Was this the game where Chris Casper got sent off and cost us two points?

79Royal

by 79Royal » 30 Oct 2007 10:26

SpaceCruiser The game where I first realised that Martin Williams was a better player than I thought he was, was at Barnsley in 1995 (I think, where we won 1-0). He was tricky and held up the ball well enough. However, I always thought he was a winger, until Terry Bullivant paired him up front with Asaba that he became a decent striker who could possibly score a lot of goals.

Anyone remember his brilliant strike against Blackpool at the Madejski Stadium during the dark days of Tommy Burns? Was this the game where Chris Casper got sent off and cost us two points?

Great strike and a hell of a goal. Don't remember Casper getting sent off though...

Tilehurst Mike

Re: Martin Williams (a where are they now thread)

by Tilehurst Mike » 30 Oct 2007 10:35

Royal Rother I didn't know this but, if anyone's interested, he is playing at Windsor & Eton at the moment.

Chatting to a pub mate at the weekend about him, he tells me he is a class act for them playing in midfield and a really nice chap as well.

Good old Martin Williams, who always gave 100% but a bit like Lita spent a lot of time on his arse. If I recall he was signed as a right winger but was called in to action as an emergency Centre forward and did rather well. Didn't he score quite a few goals in one season?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 30 Oct 2007 10:39

Tilehurst Mike
Royal Rother I didn't know this but, if anyone's interested, he is playing at Windsor & Eton at the moment.

Good old Martin Williams, who always gave 100% but a bit like Lita spent a lot of time on his arse. If I recall he was signed as a right winger but was called in to action as an emergency Centre forward and did rather well. Didn't he score quite a few goals in one season?

I always thought he was a bit of a con-artist to be honest. Would chase the ball down for about 10 yards in front of the southbank and later on the East Stand but spend large chunks of a game either on his arse or with his hands on his hips.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 30 Oct 2007 10:44

Vision
Tilehurst Mike

I always thought he was a bit of a con-artist to be honest. Would chase the ball down for about 10 yards in front of the southbank and later on the East Stand but spend large chunks of a game either on his arse or with his hands on his hips.

Go Skittles!

Always liked him. As Spacey said, he could hold the ball up well.

Skyline

by Skyline » 30 Oct 2007 10:48

Henleyensian I remember that match well. If think I am correct in saying it was the ffirst match of the millennium on 1st January 2000.

<Spacey Mode>The new millenium started on 1st January 2001</Spacey Mode>

Two things I always remember about Skittles, one good, one bad.

The bad one was a game at EP (and I can't for the life of me remember who it was against). He was brought on as a sub by TB1, then taken off again about 10 minutes later. First time I can recall a sub who wasn't injured themselves being subbed.

The good was the Wrexham home game in the first year at the MadStad. Skittles was causing them all sorts of problems, and (legitimately, for once) won and scored two penalties. Should have had a third as well, but the ref waved the appeals away. We beat them 4-0 even so.

(Unfortunately the next game we got thrashed by Bristol Rovers 0-6...)

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 30 Oct 2007 10:49

Skyline
The bad one was a game at EP (and I can't for the life of me remember who it was against). He was brought on as a sub by TB1, then taken off again about 10 minutes later. First time I can recall a sub who wasn't injured themselves being subbed.

It turned out he needed a shit.

Kevin Doyles Right Foot

by Kevin Doyles Right Foot » 30 Oct 2007 17:23

SKITTTTTTTTLEEEEEEEEESSS what a ledge

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 30 Oct 2007 17:41

79Royal
SpaceCruiser The game where I first realised that Martin Williams was a better player than I thought he was, was at Barnsley in 1995 (I think, where we won 1-0). He was tricky and held up the ball well enough. However, I always thought he was a winger, until Terry Bullivant paired him up front with Asaba that he became a decent striker who could possibly score a lot of goals.

Great strike and a hell of a goal. Don't remember Casper getting sent off though...

Maybe you're an early leaver! :wink:

Casper was sent off in injury time right at the end of a game.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 30 Oct 2007 17:56

Why was he nicknamed Skittles (was it because he fell over a lot)?

122 posts