T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 29 Nov 2007 08:00

Oxford or Swindon at home please.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 29 Nov 2007 08:12

For all those wanting Staines away, have you considered that virtually all the tickets would to to ASTs? Also, I'm pretty convinced they'd want it switched to the Mad which would be terribly depressing.

So, so lower league team with a proper terrace away please (Torquay, ideally).

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 29 Nov 2007 08:20

Good point, JSC which is a shame. Would rather not draw them as the ground will be no more than a quarter full at best.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Nov 2007 10:27

Jerry St Clair For all those wanting Staines away, have you considered that virtually all the tickets would to to ASTs? Also, I'm pretty convinced they'd want it switched to the Mad which would be terribly depressing.

After the Farnborough/Arsenal debacle a few years ago they're not allowed to switch it to the MadStad. Only if the police demand it can it be switched elsewhere, and I'd imagine it might then go somewhere closer to Staines. Brentford? QPR?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Nov 2007 10:39

Dirk Gently
Jerry St Clair For all those wanting Staines away, have you considered that virtually all the tickets would to to ASTs? Also, I'm pretty convinced they'd want it switched to the Mad which would be terribly depressing.

After the Farnborough/Arsenal debacle a few years ago they're not allowed to switch it to the MadStad. Only if the police demand it can it be switched elsewhere, and I'd imagine it might then go somewhere closer to Staines. Brentford? QPR?

Remind me what happened with the Farnbrough/Arsenal game. Did Arsenal cheat?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Nov 2007 10:50

SpaceCruiser
Dirk Gently

Remind me what happened with the Farnbrough/Arsenal game. Did Arsenal cheat?

Somehow I knew you'd ask that question..... :roll:

No, Farnrorough were drawn at home to Arsenal, and opted to give up home advantage and play it at Highbury so they got much more dosh because of it (gates are shared in the FA Cup).

This was seen as devaluing the competition and the rules were cahnged so that now ties can only be moved for police/safety reasons, not commercial ones.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 29 Nov 2007 10:53

Not to mention the fact that the Farnborouh Chairman at the time pocketed a nice tidy sum before leaving the Club...

Skyline

by Skyline » 29 Nov 2007 11:28

Dirk Gently No, Farnrorough were drawn at home to Arsenal, and opted to give up home advantage and play it at Highbury so they got much more dosh because of it (gates are shared in the FA Cup).

This was seen as devaluing the competition and the rules were cahnged so that now ties can only be moved for police/safety reasons, not commercial ones.

Presumably it was the FA that saw it as 'devaluing the competition.'?

Which would be the same FA that got Man Utd to play in some tin-pot 'World Club Championship' at the same time as an FA Cup weekend, in the (vain, as it turned out) hope it would boost England's chance of getting the WC in 2006, and then to make up the numbers decided that one team, chosen at random, that had lost in the previous round would be 'restored' in the next round.

That didn't 'devalue the FA Cup' at all, did it?

comeonthebiscuitmen

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 29 Nov 2007 11:30

Tranmere Rovers away.
They are my nearest club.

although Vauxhall Motors is probably the closest. They got knocked out though in the second round.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Nov 2007 11:39

Skyline
Dirk Gently No, Farnrorough were drawn at home to Arsenal, and opted to give up home advantage and play it at Highbury so they got much more dosh because of it (gates are shared in the FA Cup).

Presumably it was the FA that saw it as 'devaluing the competition.'?

Which would be the same FA that got Man Utd to play in some tin-pot 'World Club Championship' at the same time as an FA Cup weekend, in the (vain, as it turned out) hope it would boost England's chance of getting the WC in 2006, and then to make up the numbers decided that one team, chosen at random, that had lost in the previous round would be 'restored' in the next round.

That didn't 'devalue the FA Cup' at all, did it?

As always, politics took precedence over reality!

In a similar vein, the FA Competitions Committee would love to charge a team who plays a weakened team - but it's just so hard to prove that this is being done. But certainly in my mind, a Championship or Premier League team that switches to reserves and youngsters can't be doing anything but "devaluing the competition."

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 29 Nov 2007 11:41

Dirk Gently

Stamford Bridge

anR

by anR » 29 Nov 2007 13:30

Colchester United
Crystal Palace
Fulham
Leicester City
Plymouth Argyle
Preston North End
Scunthorpe United
Southend
Forest Green
Oldham
Weymouth
Bournemouth
Staines Town
Torquay Utd / Brighton
Havant & Waterlooville
Dagenham & Redbridge / Kidderminster
Chasetown
Rushden & Diamonds
Barnet
Exeter
Luton
Horsham
Hereford / Hartlepool
Harrogate Railway / Mansfield

An away tie only at those will I consider.

Home's a different story, but please let us go to a tiny ground! Say we get Staines and it's switched, I might not go out of protest.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 29 Nov 2007 14:57

Number 20 would be nice as long as we get a home draw against them.

would be nice to see ITFC back on here for a couple of days anyways :lol:

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 29 Nov 2007 15:12

Away to Preston please.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 29 Nov 2007 23:35

Peterborough are my coupon banker, so rest assured Staines will win.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 30 Nov 2007 00:13

I would pick Palace. Lots of Steve Coppell tie-in stories and my old boss-lady was an ex-pat and a Palace supporter. Would give me a reason to drop her a line.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Nov 2007 09:32

I'd go for away to Notts County.

Nice team, nice ground, easy to get to and reasonable capacity for a Tier 4 club - and they could do with the money.

Cookie

by Cookie » 30 Nov 2007 15:58

Anything from 45 onwards would be OK at home.
Perhaps it would convince Coppell to give Leroy a start and perhaps it would kick-start his season and perhaps we'd progress to the next round.

Meanwhile you can't help believing thet any of those teams will be crestfallen to draw a Premier club only for it to be Reading. :wink:

Here's their manager,"Hey boys do you want the good news or the bad news?
The good news we've been drawn against a Premiership club
The bad news . . . . . "

130 posts