Hahnemann - The facts

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Dec 2007 10:41

When he first came, the low flat kick that he used to do a lot was a very effective weapon, but for some reason we hardly ever see it these days.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 11 Dec 2007 10:44

I have been talking to the fat bloke in the pub again. Yes that's right the one in the way too small beer and grease stained Pompey top. He has assured me that a keeper from Pompey with Reading connections is to be offloaded by Harry this Xmas to return to the green surroundings of the Mad.

Oi Oi Saveloy
Location: Going crackers for Cararcas, or bonkers for Belgium

by Oi Oi Saveloy » 11 Dec 2007 10:47

Riseley I have been talking to the fat bloke in the pub again. Yes that's right the one in the way too small beer and grease stained Pompey top. He has assured me that a keeper from Pompey with Reading connections is to be offloaded by Harry this Xmas to return to the green surroundings of the Mad.

I refuse to believe it until it appears on thr official site, or someone in the ticket office confirms it.

It's been a while since he's played. Can anyone with Ashdown in their current starting line-up in Football Manager please confirm if he's still any good.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 11 Dec 2007 11:19

Oi Oi Saveloy
Riseley I have been talking to the fat bloke in the pub again. Yes that's right the one in the way too small beer and grease stained Pompey top. He has assured me that a keeper from Pompey with Reading connections is to be offloaded by Harry this Xmas to return to the green surroundings of the Mad.

I refuse to believe it until it appears on thr official site, or someone in the ticket office confirms it.

It's been a while since he's played. Can anyone with Ashdown in their current starting line-up in Football Manager please confirm if he's still any good.

He's not very good for their reserves!

Oi Oi Saveloy
Location: Going crackers for Cararcas, or bonkers for Belgium

by Oi Oi Saveloy » 11 Dec 2007 11:30

Geekins
Oi Oi Saveloy

He's not very good for their reserves!

In which case, we should stay well clear.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 11 Dec 2007 11:35

Ashdown would be step backwards. We can do better than a marginal Portsmouth reserve.

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 11 Dec 2007 11:40

Old Biscuitman Ashdown would be step backwards. We can do better than a marginal Portsmouth reserve.

Can we? There is an absolute dearth of top class keepers around at the moment, and of those I can think of - Given, Jaskeleinen - can't really think of a reason why they'd come to Reading... I wouldn't say no to an old boy coming back.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 11 Dec 2007 12:09

Points been made but booting the ball out twice is hardly the mark of a good goalkeeper. If he was aiming for the strikers (which according to your stats he was doing predominantly) then they were truly awful.

I still have my doubts about USA but so long as he stops parrying blocks straight and sorts out whatever communication problems he has with Sonko we'll be fine

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Dec 2007 12:26

Y21_Royal Points been made but booting the ball out twice is hardly the mark of a good goalkeeper. If he was aiming for the strikers (which according to your stats he was doing predominantly) then they were truly awful.

I still have my doubts about USA but so long as he stops parrying blocks straight and sorts out whatever communication problems he has with Sonko we'll be fine

but even the best keepers do that.
i srtruggle to think of any prem keeper who hasnt booted it straight out once or twice per game, this year or last, reina certainly did on saturday

marcus is hampered by the fact we usually aim for the wings, which are close to the edges anyway
if the player doesnt controll the ball, or misses the header becuase of close attention from a defender, it just goes out
which incedently is better than going to the opposition who counterattack straight away

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 11 Dec 2007 12:28

brendywendy
Y21_Royal Points been made but booting the ball out twice is hardly the mark of a good goalkeeper. If he was aiming for the strikers (which according to your stats he was doing predominantly) then they were truly awful.

i srtruggle to think of any prem keeper who hasnt booted it straight out once or twice per game, this year or last, reina certainly did on saturday

marcus is hampered by the fact we usually aim for the wings, which are close to the edges anyway
if the player doesnt controll the ball, or misses the header becuase of close attention from a defender, it just goes out
which incedently is better than going to the opposition who counterattack straight away

Maybe so but like I said, kicking isn't the probelm with Marcus. Its his overall command of his area.

Btw Reina is crap and over rated, a poor example

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Dec 2007 12:32

Y21_Royal
brendywendy

Maybe so but like I said, kicking isn't the probelm with Marcus. Its his overall command of his area.

Btw Reina is crap and over rated, a poor example

he is supposedly world class though, and every whinger on this board would prefer to marcus

i also said i struggle to remember any keeper who hasnt kicked it straight out at least once at the mad stad during a game

and its funny, but you never mentioned command of the area in your quoted post, just his kicking,parrying and a refernce to his one time spat with sonks, so its no wonder i replied to that, rather than some other opinion

silas
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by silas » 11 Dec 2007 12:36

Stats don't generally tend to prove a lot. Ok he may have had a slightly better game than I gave him credit for at the weekend but is past his sell by date if we have aspirations to be an estabished top flight club IMO

Crasher

by Crasher » 11 Dec 2007 12:44

silas Stats don't generally tend to prove a lot. Ok he may have had a slightly better game than I gave him credit for at the weekend but is past his sell by date if we have aspirations to be an estabished top flight club IMO

Agreed.
And the stats for one game do not make or break a keeper.
If someone has the time to accumulate these stats across an entire season for all prem keepers then we will be able to make an informed opinion on USA.

Until then I and others on here will continue to cry in dispair everytime he makes a mess of things between the posts.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Dec 2007 12:44

silas Stats don't generally tend to prove a lot. Ok he may have had a slightly better game than I gave him credit for at the weekend but is past his sell by date if we have aspirations to be an estabished top flight club IMO

agree with that
but he is 38 or summink so im sure the club are aware of this, and looking for a better replacement
dont think hes for the scrap heap just yet
IMO

can anyone remember the last keeper to visit the madstad who didnt kick it out, and claimed every cross?
Last edited by brendywendy on 11 Dec 2007 12:54, edited 1 time in total.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Dec 2007 12:52

anyway

leave fred durst alone

rollsy

by rollsy » 11 Dec 2007 13:10

Geekins Can i just say:

USA USA USA USA!

In Marcus' book he said one of his best attributes was his kicking. Just a side note he also set up our goal last week verses Boro where a punt up the park was nodded on by Doyle to Kitson who finished off with that lob.

I like Marcus and he adores us the fans also. You never get that kind of loyalty nowadays. Maybe he could tell Lita or Shorey a thing or two.

'greed

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 11 Dec 2007 14:36

The point I was trying to make was that you cant post utter rubbish on what you think happened rather than what actually happened.

The fact is for the game against Liverpool he was neither 'worst than ever' nor did he 'kick the ball out more times than anyone can count'.

I also think he is past his best and a new keeper is needed,, but dont slag him when he has a good game as you will have many an opportunity when he has a bad one.

Incidentlly the majority of the kicks from dead ball situations are aimed at the left or right hand side of the pitch and not straight down the middle, hence the reason a couple went astray.

Obvious reasons for this is that a striker heading down from a wide position can nod infield and the ball ends up more centrally and should he nod it too powerfully it stays in an attacking area rather than going out.

The second and I think main reason it is hit to the flanks is so that either the central defender goes with the attacker and is drawn out of position or even better the central defender stays put and leaves it to the full back who 9 times out of 10 is a lot shorter than one of our strikers increasing their chance of gaining position which is what happened a lot on Saturday.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 11 Dec 2007 14:54

Crasher

Agreed.
And the stats for one game do not make or break a keeper.
If someone has the time to accumulate these stats across an entire season for all prem keepers then we will be able to make an informed opinion on USA.

Until then I and others on here will continue to cry in dispair everytime he makes a mess of things between the posts.

You can cry in despair each time he makes a mess of things, but why do it when he has a perfectly good game.

BTW Reina had about half as many kicks as Marcus and booted it straight in to touch twice also.

silas
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by silas » 11 Dec 2007 14:58

londinium

The point I was trying to make was that you cant post utter rubbish on what you think happened rather than what actually happened.

The fact is for the game against Liverpool he was neither 'worst than ever' nor did he 'kick the ball out more times than anyone can count'.

I also think he is past his best and a new keeper is needed,, but dont slag him when he has a good game as you will have many an opportunity when he has a bad one.

Incidentlly the majority of the kicks from dead ball situations are aimed at the left or right hand side of the pitch and not straight down the middle, hence the reason a couple went astray.

Obvious reasons for this is that a striker heading down from a wide position can nod infield and the ball ends up more centrally and should he nod it too powerfully it stays in an attacking area rather than going out.

The second and I think main reason it is hit to the flanks is so that either the central defender goes with the attacker and is drawn out of position or even better the central defender stays put and leaves it to the full back who 9 times out of 10 is a lot shorter than one of our strikers increasing their chance of gaining position which is what happened a lot on Saturday.

As I said, I have only seen the game once so it sounds like he has had a better game than I have given him credit for. However my judgement is probably clouded by the fact that he has been poor all season, and back end of last for that matter. I can't get excited by the fact he has 'only' kicked the ball straight out of play 4 times in one game.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 11 Dec 2007 15:12

silas
londinium

As I said, I have only seen the game once so it sounds like he has had a better game than I have given him credit for. However my judgement is probably clouded by the fact that he has been poor all season, and back end of last for that matter. I can't get excited by the fact he has 'only' kicked the ball straight out of play 4 times in one game.

But you can get irate enough to slag him off on a message board without anything to back up your arguement.

Sorry if it seems a personal attack on you, that is not how it is meant to be.

I just want to highlight how much shit gets posted without fact and then others just jump on the band wagon

It is hard enough to give an opinion on players during a game as it is, as people see things differently and even watching things over and over still come up with different opinions... what is not needed is for people to spout junk for others to believe when the facts are there to say otherwise.