Andre Bikey - what do you reckon?

121 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jan 2008 19:33

Southbank Old Boy Bikey looks good at times but as a defender its all about consistently being in the right place at the right time and doing the right thing.

Bikey is no improvement on Sonko (although maybe not the Sonko of the last week) because he will get caught out too many times and isn't quite sharp enough in the head yet to be a reliable centre half.

Can he play as a midfield enforcer? I'm not convinced to be honest. Against a side like Pompey he may have got away with it but is less mobile than Cisse is and against a slicker more dynamic and fluid side than Pompey I think he'd get passed around far too easily.

But how good (and almost unique this season) to see someone prepared to run from deep positions? And, IIRC, on the half dozen or so occasions he did it in the 2nd half, he never gave away possession.

"Against a side like Pompey" you say! I'd be happy if he can do the same against every team below them in the table, that's for sure.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jan 2008 19:36

Royal Rother But how good (and almost unique this season) to see someone prepared to run from deep positions? And, IIRC, on the half dozen or so occasions he did it in the 2nd half, he never gave away possession.

a couple of times it was risky and i think he got a bit lucky to get away with it a couple of times but I agree with the sentiments. Bikey impresses me whenver i see him and he can do a job either CB or CM. Certainly no worse than the current occupants.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 01 Jan 2008 19:36

He's a centre half.

We've gotta stop playing people so uncomfortable on the ball in the middle.

Would like to see him get a run, but ANC will prevent that and you now have to assume at least one centre back will be signed in Jan. Well you would think.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 01 Jan 2008 19:39

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe He's a centre half.

We've gotta stop playing people so uncomfortable on the ball in the middle.

Would like to see him get a run, but ANC will prevent that and you now have to assume at least one centre back will be signed in Jan. Well you would think.

The problem is, he's a CB with many of the traits you want for a CM (dribbling, powerful, strong in the tackle, range of passing). He did look more of a CM today than a CB.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 01 Jan 2008 19:39

Did Bikey give away a penalty? No! At the moment, that alone puts him ahead of Sonko.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 01 Jan 2008 19:40

Yes please. Start Bikey in the cup tie with Spurs in place of Sonko.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 01 Jan 2008 19:40

Royal Rother
Southbank Old Boy Bikey looks good at times but as a defender its all about consistently being in the right place at the right time and doing the right thing.

Bikey is no improvement on Sonko (although maybe not the Sonko of the last week) because he will get caught out too many times and isn't quite sharp enough in the head yet to be a reliable centre half.

Can he play as a midfield enforcer? I'm not convinced to be honest. Against a side like Pompey he may have got away with it but is less mobile than Cisse is and against a slicker more dynamic and fluid side than Pompey I think he'd get passed around far too easily.

But how good (and almost unique this season) to see someone prepared to run from deep positions? And, IIRC, on the half dozen or so occasions he did it in the 2nd half, he never gave away possession.

"Against a side like Pompey" you say! I'd be happy if he can do the same against every team below them in the table, that's for sure.

By "a side like Pompey" I mean a team that basis their midfield play on athletic power and a physical presence. It's a whole different prospect to playing the likes of Arsenal, Villa, Blackburn, Spurs, City etc...

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 01 Jan 2008 19:41

seahawk10 Yes please. Start Bikey in the cup tie with Spurs in place of Sonko.
With Bikey gone for the rest of the month, the cup would be a good place to start bedding in the Duberry/Ingimarsson tandem

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jan 2008 19:43

Southbank Old Boy
Royal Rother

By "a side like Pompey" I mean a team that basis their midfield play on athletic power and a physical presence. It's a whole different prospect to playing the likes of Arsenal, Villa, Blackburn, Spurs, City etc...

Hmmphh, all teams above us in the table in case you hadn't noticed... :wink:

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 01 Jan 2008 19:44

Arch
With Bikey gone for the rest of the month, the cup would be a good place to start bedding in the Duberry/Ingimarsson tandem

I really don't like the idea of Ingimarsson and Duberry at the back.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 01 Jan 2008 19:44

Royal Rother Hmmphh, all teams above us in the table in case you hadn't noticed... :wink:

We still have to play against them though!

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 01 Jan 2008 19:57

savage 4 england
Arch

I really don't like the idea of Ingimarsson and Duberry at the back.

:? Even though they've been our best centre-back pairing all season.

Bikey improved immeasurably as the game went on. I've always been quite impressed with him, yes he's a bit reckless, but he's as strong as an ox and capable of much more than merely hoofing. That said, SKDD's right, he's not a Premier League centre midfielder. Much more like a Sol Campbell in his prime – solid at the back, keeps it fairly simple, with the occasional exciting forward run thrown in for good measure.

Berry

by Berry » 01 Jan 2008 20:05

Really looking forward to Doobs or Boobs back in the team, maybe we can let in 8 against Man Utd. :P

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Jan 2008 20:43

I still don't understand the antipathy towards Duberry. Before he got injured, he was consistantly our best defender. Can someone please explain the reasons behind it other than some facile comment about him being "shite".

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 01 Jan 2008 20:56

Bikey's passing wasn't the best, but he can run though an entire midfield and they just bounce off him.

Definately our best midfielder and most creative as well just by the fact he was able to take the ball forwards.

For me he would be first pick if he wasn't off to African Nations, just not sure whether to play him in defence or midfield.

Cookie

by Cookie » 01 Jan 2008 21:33

When he burst forwards today he looked very impressive.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 01 Jan 2008 22:49

I would like to see Bikey in central midfield. His athleticism and strength is outstanding, and he has a good turn of speed. My only complaint is his tendency to want to make killer 75-yard passes a bit too frequently (when they come off, he looks a hero, but too often they just give the opposition the ball).

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 02 Jan 2008 07:31

Bikey looks to have a future, he has the talent he just needs games to get him up to speed but SC doesn't seem to want to play him!

I, personally, would choose to play him in midfield as he would give some physical presence both going forward while also providing a steadying influence defensively when required.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 02 Jan 2008 08:58

I also had wanted Bikey in midfield for ages.

IIRC he played there at Blackburn (?) and had a mare. Which made me think that him in midfield wasnt the answer.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 02 Jan 2008 09:01

1871royals I also had wanted Bikey in midfield for ages.

IIRC he played there at Blackburn (?) and had a mare. Which made me think that him in midfield wasnt the answer.

:lol:

121 posts