Some of Steve Coppell's decisions mystify me

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Some of Steve Coppell's decisions mystify me

by andrew1957 » 01 Jan 2008 19:28

I would begin by saying that I am a huge fan of SC and think he should stay as manager of Reading for as long as he wants to BUT some of his decisions do mystify me.

SC always says that he will keep faith with a winning side but we lost on Saturday.

Truthfully Sonko was awful on Saturday and possibly responsible for 4 of the goals. To me it was time to say to Sonko - well done old chap - go off to the ANC and come back a better player.

Also affter Spurs it became clear that players were ill (Shorey) and tired. Surely time to give Shorey a rest and possibly one of two others as well. This is why we have a squad and can bring in other players.

As I walked to the ground and heard the team news on the radio I could not quite believe what I was hearing - an unchanged team. Within two minutes of the start that decison did not look great to me.

It's the round thing

Re: Some of Steve Coppell's decisions mystify me

by It's the round thing » 02 Jan 2008 05:19

andrew1957 I would begin by saying that I am a huge fan of SC and think he should stay as manager of Reading for as long as he wants to BUT some of his decisions do mystify me.

SC always says that he will keep faith with a winning side but we lost on Saturday.

Truthfully Sonko was awful on Saturday and possibly responsible for 4 of the goals. To me it was time to say to Sonko - well done old chap - go off to the ANC and come back a better player.

Also affter Spurs it became clear that players were ill (Shorey) and tired. Surely time to give Shorey a rest and possibly one of two others as well. This is why we have a squad and can bring in other players.

As I walked to the ground and heard the team news on the radio I could not quite believe what I was hearing - an unchanged team. Within two minutes of the start that decison did not look great to me.

Hard to disagree. Ceratinly by half-time Shorey should have been subbed. However, I think SC is handicapped by a lack of quality in the squad. We certainly weren't deep last year, but this year, aside from untried players, we're missing Little and Sidwell, and there are more players playing internationally, so those that remain are getting really s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d.

JM it's time to make an investment or you could find the fair market value of RFC diminishing rapidly.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 02 Jan 2008 08:58

It's the round thing JM it's time to make an investment or you could find the fair market value of RFC diminishing rapidly.

It is not up to him unless you want him to go out and identify and sign players. The club have said it the funds are in place for transfers this month but it is up to Hammond and Coppell now.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 02 Jan 2008 09:07

With no disrespect for the man as i do respect him alot as he is a great manager. He needs to make subs earlier than he does. He brought Long on yesterday with 8 minutes left ! It was clear Doyle and Kitson were knakered so why not bring him on and add some pace upfront.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 02 Jan 2008 09:14

or even leroy

Oi Oi Saveloy
Location: Going crackers for Cararcas, or bonkers for Belgium

by Oi Oi Saveloy » 02 Jan 2008 09:19

andrew1957 SC always says that he will keep faith with a winning side but we lost on Saturday.

Just becuase we lost a game doesn;t mean we have to change it. Possibly SC was putting out what he felt to be his strongest team avail;able at the time.

andrew1957 Truthfully Sonko was awful on Saturday and possibly responsible for 4 of the goals. To me it was time to say to Sonko - well done old chap - go off to the ANC and come back a better player.

WOW - what insight you have into the game. I persoanlly would not say Sonko had a bad game. I would say he actually didn;t have a game at all.

andrew1957 Also affter Spurs it became clear that players were ill (Shorey) and tired. Surely time to give Shorey a rest and possibly one of two others as well. This is why we have a squad and can bring in other players.

Agree, I just can't remember the name of that other highly accomplished left back we have to walk into the team when Shorey is not on top of his game. Also, SQUAD - LOL

andrew1957
No shit Sherlock. Narturally SC instructed Sonko to get himself sent off after 2 minutes for tactical reasons.

In short, you are a mong.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 02 Jan 2008 10:06

Oi Oi Saveloy, is it really necessary to be so unpleasant when replying to another poster. If you disagree fine but try to be polite.

Oi Oi Saveloy
Location: Going crackers for Cararcas, or bonkers for Belgium

by Oi Oi Saveloy » 02 Jan 2008 10:43

Cripple Creek Oi Oi Saveloy, is it really necessary to be so unpleasant when replying to another poster. If you disagree fine but try to be polite.

Yes.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jan 2008 12:36

Coppell has cost us stacks of points this season with his tactics and mistakes in not buying the required players. Let's hope that he doesn't waste this transfer window like he's wasted the previous three.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jan 2008 12:38

Royalee Coppell has cost us stacks of points this season with his tactics and mistakes in not buying the required players. Let's hope that he doesn't waste this transfer window like he's wasted the previous three.

That sounds as if you know nothing about the game.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 02 Jan 2008 12:40

Oi Oi Saveloy
andrew1957 SC always says that he will keep faith with a winning side but we lost on Saturday.

Just because we lost a game doesn;t mean we have to change it. Possibly SC was putting out what he felt to be his strongest team avail;able at the time.

andrew1957 Truthfully Sonko was awful on Saturday and possibly responsible for 4 of the goals. To me it was time to say to Sonko - well done old chap - go off to the ANC and come back a better player.

WOW - what insight you have into the game. I persoanlly would not say Sonko had a bad game. I would say he actually didn;t have a game at all.

andrew1957 Also affter Spurs it became clear that players were ill (Shorey) and tired. Surely time to give Shorey a rest and possibly one of two others as well. This is why we have a squad and can bring in other players.

Agree, I just can't remember the name of that other highly accomplished left back we have to walk into the team when Shorey is not on top of his game. Also, SQUAD - LOL

andrew1957
No shit Sherlock. Narturally SC instructed Sonko to get himself sent off after 2 minutes for tactical reasons.

In short, you are a mong.

Thanks for the positive comments!!

Surely after a loss is the time to give others a chance.

I was talking about Sonko's performance against Spurs on Saturday so he did have a game that day.

As for reserves DLC can play left back quite effectively - as he did when coming on for Shorey.

We could have brought in Bikey or Duberry for Sonko - Lita for Doyle (I think Doyle is great but could have done with a day off) - probably no other changes needed.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jan 2008 12:42

readingbedding
Royalee Coppell has cost us stacks of points this season with his tactics and mistakes in not buying the required players. Let's hope that he doesn't waste this transfer window like he's wasted the previous three.

Manchester City away - Gunnarsson tiring, us in the ascendancy - did he bring on a sub before it was too late? No

Boro at home - we're in front but do we carry on and build on this? No, we sit back and conspire to nearly lose the game.

Spurs away - in front three times, surely time to bring Bikey on to man-mark Berbatov as he's the only one capable of doing anything for Spurs and he's making Sonko look silly. Does he change it? No, we lose.

There's a potential 8 points he cost us already, along with the countless points he's cost us playing Gunnarsson all season.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jan 2008 12:57

Royalee
readingbedding

Manchester City away - Gunnarsson tiring, us in the ascendancy - did he bring on a sub before it was too late? No

Boro at home - we're in front but do we carry on and build on this? No, we sit back and conspire to nearly lose the game.

Spurs away - in front three times, surely time to bring Bikey on to man-mark Berbatov as he's the only one capable of doing anything for Spurs and he's making Sonko look silly. Does he change it? No, we lose.

There's a potential 8 points he cost us already, along with the countless points he's cost us playing Gunnarsson all season.

This management lark is a right piece of p*ss, you should put forward your suggestions as to the next Reading Manager.

Someone who would not cost us stacks of points with their mistakes and tactics.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jan 2008 13:02

readingbedding
Royalee
readingbedding

This management lark is a right piece of p*ss, you should put forward your suggestions as to the next Reading Manager.

Oh get over yourself.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 02 Jan 2008 13:05

Royalee There's a potential 8 points he cost us already, along with the countless points he's cost us playing Gunnarsson all season.

It's quite right to criticise decisions - I'm no blind loyalist - but how do you measure the above against the points he's gained for us?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jan 2008 13:11

Royalee
readingbedding
Royalee
readingbedding

Oh get over yourself.

Great reply.

Come on, think and tell me what other manager in the history of football has not cost a team points through his selection, tactics and mistakes.

Coppell has got it right more than wrong, we wouldn't be where we are without that.

Steve Coppell's managerial career

Won Lost Drawn
Reading 09-10-2003 Present

Played 212
Won 98
Lost 63
Drew 51
Last edited by readingbedding on 02 Jan 2008 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 02 Jan 2008 13:13

Is HNA the only fan site full of idiots?

Just wondered...............

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jan 2008 13:13

Royalee
readingbedding

So in one post you are blaming the manger for trying to close out a game rather than attack whilst ahead, then blaming him for trying to build on a lead in another.

Man City was due to an excellent last minute goal, following a poor goal kick, Gunnarsson's tiredness did not effect that.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jan 2008 13:14

Stranded
Royalee
readingbedding

So in one post you are blaming the manger for trying to close out a game rather than attack whilst ahead, then blaming him for trying to build on a lead in another.

Man City was due to an excellent last minute goal, following a poor goal kick, Gunnarsson's tiredness did not effect that.

I imagine that the over-reactive poster didn't even go to City.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 02 Jan 2008 13:16

Wasn't because of the poor goal kick, still a long way to go to score from that! Was because this team can't defend properly. Think it was Samaras had an unchallenged header from 20 yards that he could flick on to his team mate who hadn't been tracked at all and was under no pressure as he released the volley. Those are players mistakes not Coppell's.

My only criticism(s) of Coppell are that he's too loyal to players and he waits too long to bring subs on.