Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

Re: Forgotten Men of the Madejski Era

by T.R.O.L.I. » 23 Jan 2008 14:26

What about Peter Van Der Kwaak?

Polish International

by Polish International » 23 Jan 2008 14:44

T.R.O.L.I. What about Peter Van Der Kwaak?

Best forgotten I think....

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 23 Jan 2008 15:32

SpaceCruiser
Binfield Royal
Wax Jacket bit harsh to call Steve Brown a 'forgotten man' of the era, he was a pretty decent player for us before his retirement.

The other not so widely known fact about Browns retirement was that Pardew forced him to return to the team too early due to injuries to other players and Brown maintains this caused his knee to pack up sooner than it would have done had his return been postponed in line with the doctors recommendations.

My source is Steve Brown - I had done some work for him just around that time.

It was Steve Coppell, not Alan Pardew, who forced Steve Brown to play as he was short of bodies in the defence. I think Coppell regretted doing that.
Brown of "Brown, Brown, Williams and Brown" fame certainly doesn't fit the category of forgotten.

He had a couple of comebacks, one of which I witnessed in one of my rare forays across the pond - Wimbledon at Selhurst Park in March 03 (with away fans outnumbering home by about 50 to 1). Brown lasted about fifteen minutes. It may be that both Pardew and Coppell took a turn at rushing him back.

When the anniversary of the Bristol rovers debacle came around recently, I was surprised to discover that Neil Clement played in that game. More recently, when he was in the PRem with WBA, a lot of people on here wanted him back.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Jan 2008 15:55

Arch When the anniversary of the Bristol rovers debacle came around recently, I was surprised to discover that Neil Clement played in that game. More recently, when he was in the PRem with WBA, a lot of people on here wanted him back.

I seem to remember that Clement didn't want to come back to Reading because he feared upsetting his mother or some such lame reason. And I'm sure we all know that his father used to play for Reading. Or was it QPR? The sight of him in Blue and White hoops was too upsetting for the foolish woman.

NewburyURZFan

by NewburyURZFan » 23 Jan 2008 15:57

little black guy that used to play on the right wing i think. if i remember he got in trouble for something, maybe failed drugs test. any ideas?

bmwfrenchie

by bmwfrenchie » 23 Jan 2008 16:09

NewburyURZFan little black guy that used to play on the right wing i think. if i remember he got in trouble for something, maybe failed drugs test. any ideas?

that was byron glasgow i think. who was the centre half we got on loan from newcastle under burns, he was good as was mark mceever(not sure about spelling). going back to older days remember gareth davies. centre back.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 23 Jan 2008 16:13

bmwfrenchie
NewburyURZFan little black guy that used to play on the right wing i think. if i remember he got in trouble for something, maybe failed drugs test. any ideas?

that was byron glasgow i think. who was the centre half we got on loan from newcastle under burns, he was good as was mark mceever(not sure about spelling). going back to older days remember gareth davies. centre back.

Patrick Kelly

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Jan 2008 16:14

bmwfrenchie who was the centre half we got on loan from newcastle under burns,

He never played at the Madejski Stadium.

NewburyURZFan

by NewburyURZFan » 23 Jan 2008 16:24

bmwfrenchie

this guy was really small, doubt he would have been a centre half, im sure he played out on the wing.

Skyline

by Skyline » 23 Jan 2008 16:40

Did Darren Campbell ever play at the Madejski, or was his one outing the game at Watford where Peter Castle got to be the youngest ever Reading player?

Joe Gamble is another one I've not seen mentioned yet, but again I can only remember him playing once, away at Huddersfield IIRC. Place with a really welcoming supporters clubhouse anyway (not Rotherham, which also has a nice supporters' bar) and we won 2-0. In fact, it might even have been the game we first went top of the league in the year we went from Div 2 to Div 1.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 23 Jan 2008 16:52

I raise you Alex Haddow

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Jan 2008 16:57

RG30 I raise you Alex Haddow

I already did that on the first page on this thread:

SpaceCruiser Wasn't there a winger who came up from the youth ranks during the Tommy Burns era. Name might have been Alex Haddow?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Jan 2008 16:58

SpaceCruiser
RG30 I raise you Alex Haddow

I already did that on the first page on this thread:

SpaceCruiser Wasn't there a winger who came up from the youth ranks during the Tommy Burns era. Name might have been Alex Haddow?

How many more posts until you take over H&P?

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 23 Jan 2008 17:17

how about adding tony barras to the equation, played early on in pards reign i think at centre back. He looked a bit of a bargain and scored one or two goals in a douzen or so appearances but faded badly and moved on- last seen at Macclesfield far as i remember

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 23 Jan 2008 17:22

and ray wallace from leeds... did bugger all though, other loan players spring to mind are micheal o'neil upon burns arrival- truely woeful and one of the best loaning signings up with Upson being tommy wright in goal. I also remember Darren Jackson from oxford on loan played well at CB as well as David Mcdonald at right back who played some impressive games on loan from spurs

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 23 Jan 2008 17:25

Neil Smith.
CM.
8)

Skyline

by Skyline » 23 Jan 2008 17:25

Just thought of another one - Tony Thorpe. Bought & sold for £20,000 within about three months IIRC.

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 23 Jan 2008 17:27

Skyline Just thought of another one - Tony Thorpe. Bought & sold for £20,000 within about three months IIRC.

He was on loan wasn't he?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Jan 2008 17:28

holsgrove breaks a leg how about adding tony barras to the equation, played early on in pards reign i think at centre back.

Played in the Tommy Burns era. Moved onto Walsall I think, he played against us in the play-off final.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Jan 2008 17:30

More recentaly, Scott Murray. When he arrived I really thought he was the last piece of the jigsaw - but alas it was not to be.